Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Anyone NOT like Classical Conversations?

If so, why?

Advertisement

Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I don't like how pricey it is

Following
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
elizabeth429
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone NOT like Classical Conversations?

We tried it out just to see what it was like, and it wasn't our style. I do think it's a great program, but each family differs on why they choose to homeschool and what methods they use.

My daughter is entering K so we saw the 4/5 year old class. I felt like it was tons of information all at once and many of the children seemed glazed over. I guess I prefer to stick with a single topic and dig deeper than just memorizing it and moving on. I understand their philosophy of memorizing now and learning more later, and I think it's useful - again, I just prefer to learn about simpler topics and saver topics with my littles. Hope that makes sense.

I did think there was some very worthwhile things happening, things that I hope to incorporate into our homeschool, such as learning public speaking from an early age, and studying the great artists through time.

Our Blog: Small Hands Inspired.
elizabeth429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:
We toured one a while ago and I loved some parts (science, art, memorizing certain things) but was turned off by some of it too.

First, I don't like that they start at 4. DS will be 4 by the fall, and I have no intention of starting any formal school with him for at least another year- we will do some interest based stuff next year, and work on letter/number recognition in a very play based setting, but that's it. However, in order to bring dd to cc, I have to also enroll DS (and thus pay for him), since he will be too old for the nursery room. I just don't think he would do well sitting for 3 straight hours (except for art).

Also, I don't like how a lot of what is memorized is way above the younger kids level. I get exposing them to information, but I am also of the mindset that one needs to know how to apply said info in order to retain and understand it. At least to some degree. Some of the stuff they were memorizing were things they wouldn't even begin to cover for years (there was a cube counting song- in a kinder level class. Seriously? These kids can hardly add, let alone multiply and square things).

I def think there is a time and place for memorization, and it really is useful, but I think what is memorized needs to be level appropriate. Same thing for the history/timeline memorization- all they do is memorize historical facts, without any understanding of who the people were or of the events involved. I think it is better to memorize points within a topic that they learn more fully.

So anyway, we have tabled it for next year but might consider it again in a year or so, as I still really like the concept of a lot of it.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:
I should add though, I really really really like the public speaking aspect of it.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:53 AM   #6
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't like how crazy intense it is... I have seen many families switch from using it... I have also seen some use CC w/some of their kids & then send some to a private school because CC is so laborious.

I agree that memorization is great, but in the right application... I am not into things that are super intense because for me, they take away from some of the freedoms HS provides.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
Radish4ever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't like the price or the intensity.
Radish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

This is interesting to read.....this is our first year and we have about 5 weeks left.

Firstly, I have a 4 year old who will be 5 in July and she is in the nursery and I was not pushed at all to enroll her- just knew that I could. Even if I didn't want to next year I could leave her with someone else. There isn't any age they "have" to start. Sure after 4 they can't be in the nursery. I know the year before they did really push 4 year olds, but our director said they let down on that a little bit. Really it is and should be the parents choice.

I don't feel the intensity, with the younger class especially. They play fun review games and it isn't pushy at all. Even with my 8 year old, I never feel the class is intense. We aren't super hardcore at home either. We keep it fun, and my kids especially my 8 year old enjoy the challenge! They LOVE all the songs that go with it.

We love it A LOT and I am very happy we found it. Now the price is one thing I don't LOVE . You can tutor and take care of that or cut it down with a big family. I planned to tutor next year, but a surprise baby to an end to that.

Just had to reply, I know nothing is for everyone and of course everyone won't love it!!

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
This is interesting to read.....this is our first year and we have about 5 weeks left.

Firstly, I have a 4 year old who will be 5 in July and she is in the nursery and I was not pushed at all to enroll her- just knew that I could. Even if I didn't want to next year I could leave her with someone else. There isn't any age they "have" to start. Sure after 4 they can't be in the nursery. I know the year before they did really push 4 year olds, but our director said they let down on that a little bit. Really it is and should be the parents choice.

I don't feel the intensity, with the younger class especially. They play fun review games and it isn't pushy at all. Even with my 8 year old, I never feel the class is intense. We aren't super hardcore at home either. We keep it fun, and my kids especially my 8 year old enjoy the challenge! They LOVE all the songs that go with it.

We love it A LOT and I am very happy we found it. Now the price is one thing I don't LOVE . You can tutor and take care of that or cut it down with a big family. I planned to tutor next year, but a surprise baby to an end to that.

Just had to reply, I know nothing is for everyone and of course everyone won't love it!!
Thank you for your thoughts! Is it something where you could just do the once a week class, and not do the "homework" part at all (at least in the younger grades)? I am REALLY drawn to getting to the public speaking training and weekly socialization aspects (for myself, mostly, as we live in the country and can get pretty isolated ). But the idea of spending a ton of time memorizing rote facts....Well, I just don't necessary see the value of that. And I kind of have a cool history program already mapped out in my head (we haven't started homeschooling yet, just thinking of starting next year with my oldest, so who knows. . . .), so I'm not wild about the idea of deviating from that, either. But I may be biting off more than I can chew and might really appreciate the help from CC and not having to do much for history, art, or science beyond what they tell me every week . . .

BTW--you may not remember me, but I met you when I lived in Lincoln through Lincoln Mommies. You brought me a tasty meal when my oldest was born . Then I moved away from Lincoln a few weeks later and only participated via the forum and occasional get-togethers in Lincoln. I dropped away from Lincoln Mommies by 2008 or so. You introduced me to the world of cloth diapers (from the forum). Thanks for that!

Last edited by Melinda29; 03-03-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
Thank you for your thoughts! Is it something where you could just do the once a week class, and not do the "homework" part at all (at least in the younger grades)? I am REALLY drawn to getting to the public speaking training and weekly socialization aspects (for myself, mostly, as we live in the country and can get pretty isolated ). But the idea of spending a ton of time memorizing rote facts....Well, I just don't necessary see the value of that. And I kind of have a cool history program already mapped out in my head (we haven't started homeschooling yet, just thinking of starting next year with my oldest, so who knows. . . .), so I'm not wild about the idea of deviating from that, either. But I may be biting off more than I can chew and might really appreciate the help from CC and not having to do much for history, art, or science beyond what they tell me every week . . .

BTW--you may not remember me, but I met you when I lived in Lincoln through Lincoln Mommies. You brought me a tasty meal when my oldest was born . Then I moved away from Lincoln a few weeks later and only participated via the forum and occasional get-togethers in Lincoln. I dropped away from Lincoln Mommies by 2008 or so. You introduced me to the world of cloth diapers (from the forum). Thanks for that!
Oh my gosh how funny! Okay I am bad with names, but I am sure if I saw a face I would remember!

Are you looking at CC groups in Lincoln?? We just had an open house yesterday at our location. Thinking there is another one, at one of the other two locations that I am pretty sure are full, but you can still visit of course!

We are in a smaller community, we have two classes one is ages 4-6 and the other is 7 and older. I think next year adding another class or two. My youngest son is in kindergarten this year and in the younger class. I never feel like it's intense at all. We don't spend a lot of time on it everyday at home. You can do whatever you want, they emphasize that you are the teacher- they are only the tutor. We do it lightly at home, we sing the timeline song in the car. We have a cd we play the memorization, maybe spend 15 minutes a day with my youngest- 4 or so days a week. Even just that much, I am shocked at how much they remember! You can do as little as much as you like. I have a 2nd grader and Kindergarten this year we don't add science, art, history, or anything like that. We do dive into some things they show interest in. You can do as little or as much as you'd like though!

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote