Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
zandj's Avatar
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,818
Singapore Math & English ?

If for example my son is going to start at 1A do I need to get the textbook, workbook & instr guide for each level? I can't find any info on their website about when to buy each, when you might not need all of them (like are they really necessary for me at 1/2nd grade level?) etc tia!

also, has anyone used their english program? how did you like it? we plan to move to New Zealand so the uk spelling etc in it is not a big deal

Advertisement

__________________
Mama to P 12.07 and baby Q born at home 9.30.12 <3

Last edited by zandj; 02-26-2014 at 03:57 PM.
zandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
3 ladybugs's Avatar
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,771
My Mood:
Re: Singapore Math & English ?

I don't know anything about the English, but I would recommend the home schooling teachers manuals for the math. It gives you lots of ideas if your child isn't getting a concept. It also gives you teaching aids. I think I would be lost without the teaching book and we are doing 1A right now. I would check that whatever version you get, it is available in ND before you start. We are doing the standards edition.

Oh and I would not recommend the science by singapore. It is very basic.
__________________
Jennifer (38) - Wife since 12/2003 with 5 children - 3 waiting for me in heaven , and 2 delighting me everyday ! Lymphoma survivor and mother to baby born post pelvic radiation!
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:18 AM   #3
Macyllehub's Avatar
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 13,357
My Mood:
We love Singapore math. We do like having the workbook, text book and teachers guide. Pp mentioned the guide gives you lots of hands on ideas to work with and had been helpful to me.
__________________
I'm Macy, Wife to Damon.
Together we have Daunika(8), Aurora(6),
Declan(4) and Kalani (2) :
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
zandj's Avatar
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,818
Re: Singapore Math & English ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I don't know anything about the English, but I would recommend the home schooling teachers manuals for the math. It gives you lots of ideas if your child isn't getting a concept. It also gives you teaching aids. I think I would be lost without the teaching book and we are doing 1A right now. I would check that whatever version you get, it is available in ND before you start. We are doing the standards edition.

Oh and I would not recommend the science by singapore. It is very basic.
DO YOu have a science program you like better? (we are atheists if that helps lol)
__________________
Mama to P 12.07 and baby Q born at home 9.30.12 <3
zandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 658
My Mood:
Re: Singapore Math & English ?

I agree with the previous posters. I've used Singapore from 1A through 4B so far, and the home instructor's guides are essential. The Singapore method uses a concrete to pictorial to abstract progression in introducing the concepts. This means that each lessons begins with a concrete demonstration of the concept using manipulatives or other hands-on activities. Then the lesson proceeds to the textbook, which contains pictorial representations of the concept, along with practice problems that become more abstract. Finally, the child works independently in the workbook.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
steph_marie9
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: IN
Posts: 338
Re: Singapore Math & English ?

We also use Singapore, and definitely appreciate the HIG! We do buy all three books (Textbook, workbook, HIG). If I skipped one in the early levels, it would probably be the textbook. We didn't always use it in 1B, but now in 2A, we do use it most days. There are problem sets in the textbook for the first time, now, so there would be less practice without it.
__________________
Stephanie, wife to a National Guard soldier
SAHM to DD1 5/29/06 DD2 2/11/09 DS 8/7/11 and DD3 11/26/14
steph_marie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:15 AM   #7
3 ladybugs's Avatar
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,771
My Mood:
Re: Singapore Math & English ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandj View Post
DO YOu have a science program you like better? (we are atheists if that helps lol)
Sorry, just now seeing this. I don't have any experience with anything else yet. I did order Real Science Odyssey that I will get tomorrow. However I think that is from a Christian company. We are Christian but I go for things that are more about the topic at hand rather then trying to make everything about God. Tomorrow I can thumb through the science and let you know what I think. I have been happy with History Odyssey and it isn't full of God from the same company.
__________________
Jennifer (38) - Wife since 12/2003 with 5 children - 3 waiting for me in heaven , and 2 delighting me everyday ! Lymphoma survivor and mother to baby born post pelvic radiation!
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
zandj's Avatar
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,818
Re: Singapore Math & English ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
Sorry, just now seeing this. I don't have any experience with anything else yet. I did order Real Science Odyssey that I will get tomorrow. However I think that is from a Christian company. We are Christian but I go for things that are more about the topic at hand rather then trying to make everything about God. Tomorrow I can thumb through the science and let you know what I think. I have been happy with History Odyssey and it isn't full of God from the same company.
I actually bought the Science Odyssey ebook as well as history after a bit of research, doesn't look religious at all to me so far, but I only quickly skimmed. DS is excited to start in the summer and raise a frog lol (an extra I chose after buying the science kit from homesciencetools and seeing the frog cage, he did butterflies at school this year).
__________________
Mama to P 12.07 and baby Q born at home 9.30.12 <3
zandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
3 ladybugs's Avatar
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,771
My Mood:
Re: Singapore Math & English ?

I got the Science Odyssey with space in it. My son seems to be really interested in that. I think it also talks about weather and geology. The only thing on the surface that I don't like, is they don't have everything out yet, so I hope we don't hit a wall where we have to go to something else, simply because everything isn't out yet.
__________________
Jennifer (38) - Wife since 12/2003 with 5 children - 3 waiting for me in heaven , and 2 delighting me everyday ! Lymphoma survivor and mother to baby born post pelvic radiation!
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #10
zandj's Avatar
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,818
Re: Singapore Math & English ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I got the Science Odyssey with space in it. My son seems to be really interested in that. I think it also talks about weather and geology. The only thing on the surface that I don't like, is they don't have everything out yet, so I hope we don't hit a wall where we have to go to something else, simply because everything isn't out yet.
we chose space too! he has done lots of the life stuff just in daily living and in pre-k and k at school. he is going to LOVE the rock lessons.

what do you mean by they don't have everything out? like I said, haven't really digged into it yet, DH is printing both PDFs for me today at work!
__________________
Mama to P 12.07 and baby Q born at home 9.30.12 <3
zandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.