Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #11
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Singapore Math & English ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandj View Post
we chose space too! he has done lots of the life stuff just in daily living and in pre-k and k at school. he is going to LOVE the rock lessons.

what do you mean by they don't have everything out? like I said, haven't really digged into it yet, DH is printing both PDFs for me today at work!
They only have 5 science lessons (years if you will) out right now. They have more of the history (10 of those out of 12). So I hope we don't get to the 5th science curriculum and not know where to go. When you find something you like, you want to stick with it.

I thought about getting the PDF version but I decided against it figuring it would cost me more to print it out then it would be to just purchase the hard copy. I did get a binder for it yesterday so when it comes today then I can put it straight in there!

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #12
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
They only have 5 science lessons (years if you will) out right now. They have more of the history (10 of those out of 12). So I hope we don't get to the 5th science curriculum and not know where to go. When you find something you like, you want to stick with it.

I thought about getting the PDF version but I decided against it figuring it would cost me more to print it out then it would be to just purchase the hard copy. I did get a binder for it yesterday so when it comes today then I can put it straight in there!
ah yes, hopefully they will come out with more! or maybe expansion packs or something to dig deeper into certain topics

like I said, I asked DH to print the pdfs at work for me bc we don't have color at home and I was just going to throw it in a binder but he came home with this, I was crazy excited lol

off to clear our bookcase off, I am kicking myself for not just hsing for K too. oh well.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #13
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just got mine and it is perfect bound. I thought it was going to be loose leaf like the history was. I almost wish it was as it would be easier for DS to work through then.

Did you get the rock kit that you need? I would hate for you to get all the way to NZ and not have it! We also got a couple of the science books as well. My DH is going to have fun just looking at those!
Old 03-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #14
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
I just got mine and it is perfect bound. I thought it was going to be loose leaf like the history was. I almost wish it was as it would be easier for DS to work through then.

Did you get the rock kit that you need? I would hate for you to get all the way to NZ and not have it! We also got a couple of the science books as well. My DH is going to have fun just looking at those!
I ordered the rocks and test stuff, yes. We aren't moving to NZ till next year so we have time to get everything sorted!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #15
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Are you starting soon or are you waiting till after your move? Maybe we can compare notes!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #16
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Are you starting soon or are you waiting till after your move? Maybe we can compare notes!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
we are starting beginning of this summer (and having summer break in the fall here in TX!). DS is allergic to peanuts so it isn't safe for him to go to the local public schools and we can't afford the private anymore with the move!
Old 03-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #17
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh I see! That has got to be hard to pull a child because of a food allergy. Is that why you are moving to NZ? Do they have better schools down there? I have always wanted to move overseas for a while at least. It must be so exciting for you!

We will be starting the science as soon as I can get my ducks in a row. We are about 1/2 way through the history that you have right now. Let me know if you have questions!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #18
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Oh I see! That has got to be hard to pull a child because of a food allergy. Is that why you are moving to NZ? Do they have better schools down there? I have always wanted to move overseas for a while at least. It must be so exciting for you!

We will be starting the science as soon as I can get my ducks in a row. We are about 1/2 way through the history that you have right now. Let me know if you have questions!
I am not sure about better really (I mean, as a rule they do rank higher than the US in certain/most subjects besides self esteem lol) but they are a lot better suited to our needs/wants - no/limited standardized testing, more outside playtime plus PE and swimming at school, less hours, no school lunch program (and a lot of public schools are peanut free now I am told) far less litigious so kids are still actually allowed to play without a bubble around them and IMO I do like the structure of the education system there better than here, I grew up there and moved to the US after high school, we are just moving back to my home

After today (well, the past week) with DS constantly in trouble for typical boy stuff I am considering pulling him earlier though...
Old 03-08-2014, 06:05 AM   #19
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The typical boy stuff is why I know only homeschooling will work for my oldest. There are days I can barely get him to concentrate for me, I can just imagine how he would be for a teacher with 29 other kids to work with.

I have heard that NZ is hard to immigrate to. Glad you have an in there. I can't imagine making a move like that though with 2 kids by yourself (meaning without corporate support). I guess you are spending your time reducing the amount of stuff you have.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #20
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

actually, I do have a question 3_ladybugs - for the history one, did you buy ALL the books listed or just the highly recommended ones/ones read every day. We just got our internet linked history of the world and was wondering how much you use all the others (besides those 3 or so referenced every lesson)