Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Nariah01's Avatar
Nariah01
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 331
My Mood:
Buying in bulk and shopping with a LO

Ok I am going to kill two birds with one stone with this thread!

First off all you ladies that make things from scratch, how do you store your ingredients? I have heard from other Washington mamas that bulk foods like flour and beans and such are cheaper at Winco, but how do I store them once home so they don't go bad? I am new to the whole cooking thing, I will admit I am a bit lazy and never really want to make my food. But in order to eat better and save some money I am throwing myself head first into making stuff from scratch. So that being said I have no idea what good amounts for things are, or even what are some good staples to have one hand. So ideas on that would be helpful as well!

Next how do some of you manage your LO while shopping alone? Currently I do all the shopping with my DH so I can have some help, but it would be easier if I could do it on my own. My LO is 3 months old and its kind of tough just managing him while out and about. He most times is awake for most of it, he spits up all the time(lots of messes) and sometimes he is not too keen about how long the shopping takes, I've had a baby melt down before and had to take him to the car to calm him down, which wouldn't work if I am by myself. I am honestly a bit afraid to take him out alone at this age. So are there any tips or tricks for this, or does it just get better as they get older? Is it something I just need to suck it up, pull up my big girl panties and just do it?

TIA

Advertisement

Nariah01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
madmollyann's Avatar
madmollyann
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: VT
Posts: 558
For storage:
Most dry goods (baking stuff, pasta, rice) will last without special treatment. Put brown sugar in an airtight container.

Meat- anything you won't eat in the next 3-4 days should be frozen- I wrap it in packages that will work for one meal so I'm not defrosting too much.

For baby management- I would not have gotten anything done in the first six months of DD's life without our Ergo. Find a carrier that works for you and your LO and use it everywhere. Another plus? No strangers touching your baby at the supermarket!
madmollyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
Nariah01's Avatar
Nariah01
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 331
My Mood:
Re: Buying in bulk and shopping with a LO

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmollyann View Post
For storage:
Most dry goods (baking stuff, pasta, rice) will last without special treatment. Put brown sugar in an airtight container.

Meat- anything you won't eat in the next 3-4 days should be frozen- I wrap it in packages that will work for one meal so I'm not defrosting too much.

For baby management- I would not have gotten anything done in the first six months of DD's life without our Ergo. Find a carrier that works for you and your LO and use it everywhere. Another plus? No strangers touching your baby at the supermarket!
First off your baby is adorable. I do have a Moby wrap, and I use it when we are out an about, but he still gets fussy sometimes, and I end up wearing a lot of his meals most times. I like the Moby, however sometimes during long shopping trips my back gets sore, and I get this weird like pain/numbness in my right arm, like a pinched nerve. It doesn't happen right away, and it happens every time. So for short term stuff I love the Moby, but I don't have any other type of carrier. Do you have a recommendation for baby wearing during longer stretches? I have look at the ergo but there are so many variations I have no idea what to get. Especially because I want to be able to share it with DH and he it a bit bigger them me and he gets hot easily.


So for the flours and beans, I can just leave them in the bag, and clip them shut?
Nariah01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
JaeCraig's Avatar
JaeCraig
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,996
My Mood:
Re: Buying in bulk and shopping with a LO

For shopping with baby... I second the carrier. I prefer a sling at that age, but some people like to front carry in something different.

I don't know what to say about food storage. I'm not sure what you mean about bulk... will the flour come in a bag? I'm sure you can get some containers to hold flours and beans etc. But I just put mine on the shelf in the bag.
__________________
Jae. Wife to David.
Mom to Grant (10) , Charlie (5), Pierce (3) and Gwen (nearly 1)
JaeCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Nariah01's Avatar
Nariah01
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 331
My Mood:
Re: Buying in bulk and shopping with a LO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeCraig View Post
For shopping with baby... I second the carrier. I prefer a sling at that age, but some people like to front carry in something different.

I don't know what to say about food storage. I'm not sure what you mean about bulk... will the flour come in a bag? I'm sure you can get some containers to hold flours and beans etc. But I just put mine on the shelf in the bag.
I have small containers that hold about two pounds or so of flours and sugars and such. But you can buy some of those beans and flours in like 25lb bags. I just wondered if I should put it in an airtight big container, or if they can stay in the bag and I can just clip it shut and that would be good enough.
Nariah01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
JaeCraig's Avatar
JaeCraig
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,996
My Mood:
Re: Buying in bulk and shopping with a LO

For a family of 3 (and one of those 3 being a newbie) I would not buy a 25 lb bag of beans or flour. I have a family of 6 and I would have a hard time going through a 25 lb bag.
__________________
Jae. Wife to David.
Mom to Grant (10) , Charlie (5), Pierce (3) and Gwen (nearly 1)
JaeCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
mama_to_DJM's Avatar
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,079
Re: Buying in bulk and shopping with a LO

I shop at WinCo, and love it! I use their bulk section all the time! I just have several containers for things like oats, beans, rice, flour, etc. that I refill using what I buy at WinCo. I use plastic containers, such as Rubbermaid ones, the ones with the snap tight lids, and empty containers from other food (I love Ovaltine containers!). Or if I'm buying a larger amount of something, I'll put it in a 5 gallon bucket- they sell these in the bulk section. I only have one of those buckets, and sometimes I'll keep a couple bags of things in there. I wouldn't keep it in the pantry just in the plastic bag you buy it in. Those would be easy to rip, and harder to keep bugs out!

As far as shopping with baby, I don't have as much advice about that. My baby is 5, so it's been a while. I just remember taking them with me when they were infants (normally asleep in the infant carrier), and once they became toddlers, I shopped on my DH's day off, and left right at naptime. I totally understand the desire to shop alone!
__________________
Busy homeschooling mama to my 3 cute kiddos

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
Nariah01's Avatar
Nariah01
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 331
My Mood:
Re: Buying in bulk and shopping with a LO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeCraig View Post
For a family of 3 (and one of those 3 being a newbie) I would not buy a 25 lb bag of beans or flour. I have a family of 6 and I would have a hard time going through a 25 lb bag.
Oh I know, I was just giving an example. Because I make my own bread I go through a lot of flour right now. And I know it would be a lot nicer to not have the small little bags you get at most stores, because I have to buy them way to often right now.
Nariah01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
Nariah01's Avatar
Nariah01
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 331
My Mood:
Re: Buying in bulk and shopping with a LO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
I shop at WinCo, and love it! I use their bulk section all the time! I just have several containers for things like oats, beans, rice, flour, etc. that I refill using what I buy at WinCo. I use plastic containers, such as Rubbermaid ones, the ones with the snap tight lids, and empty containers from other food (I love Ovaltine containers!). Or if I'm buying a larger amount of something, I'll put it in a 5 gallon bucket- they sell these in the bulk section. I only have one of those buckets, and sometimes I'll keep a couple bags of things in there. I wouldn't keep it in the pantry just in the plastic bag you buy it in. Those would be easy to rip, and harder to keep bugs out!

As far as shopping with baby, I don't have as much advice about that. My baby is 5, so it's been a while. I just remember taking them with me when they were infants (normally asleep in the infant carrier), and once they became toddlers, I shopped on my DH's day off, and left right at naptime. I totally understand the desire to shop alone!
I had no idea they sell a bucket there too! I might have to get one to keep multiple bags in like you do. I have some smaller plastic containers and glass ones I use now, but I can't fit a whole small bag like what you buy at the store in them. So having something with a little more space would be awesome. Not to mention I want to start buying a lot of those staples once a month, so I don't have to buy them weekly and such. I've only shopped a Winco a few times and so far I like it. Hey you live fairly close to me, in fact I had my LO at Tacoma General. lol.

Yeah shopping alone would be nice, because DH is a bit frustrating sometimes when we shop. Not to mention I can't just send him with a list because most times I will put fruit on my list, and then when I get there I pick out what kinds strike my fancy at the time. I know its not the most cost effective that way but I ate so unhealthy for so long that I really struggle with produce and I right now am just wanting to change old habits.
Nariah01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #10
qsefthuko's Avatar
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 17,359
Re: Buying in bulk and shopping with a LO

I buy my beans by the 20-25lbs. They last well just put into a reusable shopping bag.

My flour I buy just by the 5lbs bags and use those. Bulk quantities of the white whole wheat is not available here so I just buy a couple of bags at a time since buying more at a time is not saving me anything.

For sugar I did buy a container that holds about 10lbs at Walmart. It is just a plastic container. For brown sugar, I don't buy it. I buy molasses and add it to my white sugar as needed. If you look on the brown sugar bag all it is, is sugar and molasses. Saves me from getting hard brown sugar.

Rice, quinoa, barley, etc are not sold in bulk here except for the white rice which I do not use so I just buy by the lb bags when they are on sale and store them in a container in their bags. The container keeps the bags contained instead of falling about in my pantry.

I have only had 1 small one at a time as my kids are spaced far apart. I generally just used my sling and carried my baby in that. Once my kids could sit with help and had good head control I would face them forward sitting with crossed legs in the sling. They loved being able to watch everyone. When my youngest became too big for that he was ready for the back carry or rather the cross between back and hip carry. Full on back had him straining to see in front and full on hip carry had him in my way. So I just slipped him 3/4 of the way back. This way he was basically riding along behind my right shoulder.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.