Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #11
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: August 2013 due date group ~ March edition

It is a warm week here finally We have been busy this week with 4-h, dentist, and school meetings. I had yet another meeting with Jace's teachers and we are going forth with testing him for sped yet again. I am so over his math teacher, every meeting he has brought up that we lack infor because he was homeschooled and that he is extremely behind in math. His math teacher also pushed and pushed testing him for sped for math even thou he has never had extra help in that area. In fact he has always been on tier 1, I swear this teacher has no clue how this whole testing thing works.

Ok there is my vent for today.

Advertisement

Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #12
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Missy I would pull your son out early. If you are going to homeschool in the fall anyway, just do it now. I am sure you could find an affordable curriculum to get by till the fall. Anyone that calls my son "slow" because he was home schooled would be enough for me.

We had a parent meeting last night with T-ball and tonight we have Ash Wednesday services. However it is starting to think about getting warmer here too. I can't wait for warm weather where I can shove the older one outside for a bit.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #13
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Missy I would pull your son out early. If you are going to homeschool in the fall anyway, just do it now. I am sure you could find an affordable curriculum to get by till the fall. Anyone that calls my son "slow" because he was home schooled would be enough for me.

We had a parent meeting last night with T-ball and tonight we have Ash Wednesday services. However it is starting to think about getting warmer here too. I can't wait for warm weather where I can shove the older one outside for a bit.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I personally want to see what the testing says because it also gives me an idea of the areas we need to really work on. We only have 12 weeks left in the school year and I feel by the time I got things figured out it would be summer time.

My wool came in yesterday and I am in love. A friend gave me a cover and I found some upcycle wool cheap and so far so good. I love the look of them
Old 03-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #15
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would do all the testing and go from there. There may be a reason why the math teacher feels the way he does.

Not to say that you weren't teaching him right...but I had a student come in when I taught fifth grade from homeschooling. According to mom he met all the goals was on grade level etc. well actually he wasn't. Poor kid was struggling so much. I was able to get him tested and we got a plan set up for him. Once he got that extra boost he got up to benchmark quickly.

It's hard to see your kid struggle and hard to believe that your kid has problems.

You put on your mommy goggles and everything's fine when in reality your child is barely holding on.

I do have to say that when we get a kid that comes in after being homeschooled they are the ones that struggle the most. Not because its a new environment. But because they didn't get all the support that they needed when they were hs'ed. As a parent we see them as them and that's the way they are. "He has always struggled with reading so we adapt". Well adapting is good to a point but then you have to get down to the reason why he's struggling and fix it.

--------
I would do the testing with the school. See where his weaknesses are. And do an intensive intervention this summer.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #16
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

You know March is a mean month. It is going to be 60 degree today and in the 50s this weekend, but I know our temps are going to plummet back to the cold, cold weather.

Thayer has an eye doctor appoint because he says the tv is blurry when he sits on the couch I hoping he doesn't need glasses. He doesn't squint or anything but as well all know that doesn't mean much.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #17
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Spring time is so much fun with the wild temperature swings! I hop Thayer doesn't need glasses. Maybe he is just tired when he watches TV? I get like that sometimes.

What are you all doing about baby proofing? Are you making one room for the baby? Are you using play pens? How do you balance an older child's right to play, and a younger child's desire to eat everything?

We need to do something with N and the house, now that he is mobile. I am not sure what we are going to do though. I thought about getting another play pen so we have a smaller one in the kitchen and the larger one that we have, in the living room. I am not sure that is the answer though. I also thought about getting one of those play yards that don't have a floor in them for this purpose but I want to make sure it is strong enough for him to pull up on. DH thinks we should just put up pressure mounted gates and let the older one and the dog figure it out for themselves.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #18
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We have a toy room downstairs so not in easy reach of baby and a gate at the top of the stairs but that is it. I have never completely baby proofed my house in fact I rarely used a baby gate but with the way the stairs are in this house I have to use one. The older kids and dogs figured it out just fine and we have never had a problem. I think Thayer was 4 when we got the gate and it didn't hold him back.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #19
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
We don't really baby proof either. I just make sure the Legos are all picked up and in Stevens room

We will put the gate back up at the top of the stair again. It's a swing gate so the older kids can get through.

And if I have to do something where I need to keep an eye on him I'll just throw him in his high chair. He doesn't like it at times but oh well. Or he goes in his exercauser

I may change things up once he's actually mobile tho
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #20
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Back from the eye doctor, no glasses but his astigmatism has gotten worse. He didn't think it was bad enough to need glasses but something to keep an eye on.