Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you use Khan Academy...

HOw do u gauge your child's progression? Prior to this year my oldest were in TT but we decided to try out Khan and LOVE IT. But I panic a little since it's not a normal "finish this book you finish this grade" type thing. I've thought about giving them placement tests to see where they test into...

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you use Khan Academy...

Khan does mastery tests, they even have grade levels. You can set your child up as a student and yourself up as a coach or if you only have one child you can allow your child to be the only one using the account so it will be easy to gauge their achievements. There are badges ect that they earn as they progress. My boys really enjoy Khan though we tend to use it as a supplement, my oldest will meander a bit and do programming ect rather than following any curriculum. My youngest loves seeing that he is ready for another mastery test.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110
Khan does mastery tests, they even have grade levels. You can set your child up as a student and yourself up as a coach or if you only have one child you can allow your child to be the only one using the account so it will be easy to gauge their achievements. There are badges ect that they earn as they progress. My boys really enjoy Khan though we tend to use it as a supplement, my oldest will meander a bit and do programming ect rather than following any curriculum. My youngest loves seeing that he is ready for another mastery test.
Yes we like all those things but to get the "mastery" can take a long time. For instance my hubby likes doing Khan. He's master 5th grade but it still shows him working through third even though he's clearly doing college level math. It just a processes for the computer program that it had to go through. My thing is more that I don't want say my 4th grader to be still working in just 4th grade next year. Should I just move the focus up to 5th or do some type of placement test to make sure I do not move him up prematurely. Make sense?
Old 03-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you use Khan Academy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGlorylife View Post
Yes we like all those things but to get the "mastery" can take a long time. For instance my hubby likes doing Khan. He's master 5th grade but it still shows him working through third even though he's clearly doing college level math. It just a processes for the computer program that it had to go through. My thing is more that I don't want say my 4th grader to be still working in just 4th grade next year. Should I just move the focus up to 5th or do some type of placement test to make sure I do not move him up prematurely. Make sense?
That is strange, when I put my youngest on it tested him a couple of times and placed him at 3rd automatically (he was only 7 but working on 3rd so it fit). He worked for a little while and it told him he could take a mastery test at which time it moved him up to 4th grade. It no longer shows him working on 3rd grade. I can specifically assign anything I want but his dashboard shows 4th grade.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote