Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Common Core article

http://www.tnparents.com/2/post/2014...mmon-core.html

Just curious for others' thoughts on this. I'm still trying to understand that math problem. I don't get it...

Advertisement

mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Common Core article

I get the math problem. But it is in no way appropriate for average 7 year olds.

Common core will hurt our children in more ways than one.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I understand the math problem as well but common core is something I seriously oppose and a (minor, I have others) reason for home educating my children.
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

If this is really the future of math, we may homeschool!
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I understand the problem and actually use a math program that teaches that method but in a very understandable way.

I think it becomes hard to judge whether it is too hard or not depending on how it is taught and presented to the kids. If this is something that has been explained and practiced many times in class, I think it would be fine, but the problem is we don't know. We are only seeing the homework questions without any instruction. THAT I think is where this is going to fall apart. The parents need to know HOW to help their kids. If that link in the chain is missing, it will fail. Also, if the information isn't taught clearly and incrementally, it will also fail.

For my DD the steps were simple. First they practiced "completing tens", pretty much learning the tens family really well. Then they would get a problem that asked 8 + X = 10. This solidified their understanding of making tens. Next they would get a problem like the one in the article, but they would be walked through the problem. 8 + 6 = X. First they would be asked what do you need to add to the 8 to make ten? The kid would immediately know "2" from all the "making tens" practice. Then they would have the kid take the 6 and break it into the 2 and 4 in a very visual way. The 8 and 2 would be shown grouped together to make a ten and the 4 left over is then just added to 10, so 14. It sounds like a long, arduous task written out here, but let me say that it is much easier to add 10 + 4 = 14 in your head than to memorize by rote 8 + 6 = 14. It becomes so easy and intuitive for the kids and they can learn to add in their heads very fast!

Granted, I'm sure there are many kids for whom this might be too hard or too complicated, but broken down into easy steps my 6 year old had no problems with it.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I am confused. The article was about standardized testing. I thought common for was a set of standards to be uniform across the country. Is it actually a "curriculum in a box" type of deal that lays out how teachers are supposed to teach and specific methods o assessments to use?
happysmileylady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_just_me View Post
I understand the problem and actually use a math program that teaches that method but in a very understandable way.

I think it becomes hard to judge whether it is too hard or not depending on how it is taught and presented to the kids. If this is something that has been explained and practiced many times in class, I think it would be fine, but the problem is we don't know. We are only seeing the homework questions without any instruction. THAT I think is where this is going to fall apart. The parents need to know HOW to help their kids. If that link in the chain is missing, it will fail. Also, if the information isn't taught clearly and incrementally, it will also fail.

For my DD the steps were simple. First they practiced "completing tens", pretty much learning the tens family really well. Then they would get a problem that asked 8 + X = 10. This solidified their understanding of making tens. Next they would get a problem like the one in the article, but they would be walked through the problem. 8 + 6 = X. First they would be asked what do you need to add to the 8 to make ten? The kid would immediately know "2" from all the "making tens" practice. Then they would have the kid take the 6 and break it into the 2 and 4 in a very visual way. The 8 and 2 would be shown grouped together to make a ten and the 4 left over is then just added to 10, so 14. It sounds like a long, arduous task written out here, but let me say that it is much easier to add 10 + 4 = 14 in your head than to memorize by rote 8 + 6 = 14. It becomes so easy and intuitive for the kids and they can learn to add in their heads very fast!

Granted, I'm sure there are many kids for whom this might be too hard or too complicated, but broken down into easy steps my 6 year old had no problems with it.
Thank you!! I finally get it. This has been bothering me for the past 3 hours. Now I think I can try to sleep. lol. I think you're right, too... it depends if the instructions are included or not. And if they are taught clearly.

eta: I think I was partly confused because of the author's use of the words multiply and divide when I only see adding and subtracting.

Last edited by mel j; 03-04-2014 at 10:46 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:57 AM   #8
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually like that method of teaching math. I been seeing tons of ZOMG common core is evil posts look at how they do math now! I don't think common core is the answer to the education problem at all but the common core isn't a method of doing math or a curriculum it is a set of standards. It purpose isn't to force kids do math in silly ways and have hours of homework. If that is the case it is on the school, the teacher or the curriculum.

The common core doesn't say what curriculum to use. I actually really like the make ten strategy. It teaches kids how to do problems in their head and is a strategy used in a lot of different popular curriculums like Singapore. I don't like that one particular worksheet example but it doesn't show what else they have been doing in class on the concept prior to getting that worksheet. The make 10 strategy is not too complicated for kids to understand. I like when they teach kids what they are doing so they really understand it.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:20 AM   #9
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I have 2 cousins, 1 aunt and 1 friend that are teachers. One is a Math teacher specifically. They all HATE common core. I do too. That math problem is unbelievable. My SIL's dd is struggling in 1st grade math and my SIL has no clue how to help her. That is a disgrace. Numbers are numbers, why take a billion steps when it can take 1?!? Thank heaven's we homeschool and will never teach math that way.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:52 AM   #10
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I am confused. The article was about standardized testing. I thought common for was a set of standards to be uniform across the country. Is it actually a "curriculum in a box" type of deal that lays out how teachers are supposed to teach and specific methods o assessments to use?
Common Core is a set of standards as well as a new plethora of standardized tests to "check" the teaching of the standards...the thing is that in order to meet the standards a new curriculum has to be bought/put into place in all the states and the publishers of said curriculum helped with the creation of the Common Core Standards.