Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Math Supplement recommendations

We currently use Math U See, and will be finished with the Primer Level in about 6 weeks. I am not really sure what to do for the rest of the school year...

I have thought about tackling time and money since she seems interested in that, and that would obviously be a helpful skill that she can implement right away. I just don't know where to find lessons on just that topic, as I don't want to buy a whole curriculum set to get just those two topics. Any recommendations?

Or we could just spend the remainder of the year reviewing what she learned in Primer.

Or we could just move on to Alpha (for those of you who have done Alfa already, does it go pretty in depth with time and money? I could just focus on those lessons with DD maybe? or is it best to do it in order, since we have not learned halves and quarters yet?)

Any other ideas?

WPT, holistic living, Homeschooling mama to DD (7) and DS (4)
CCRMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Math Supplement recommendations

I have found that until my kids can skip count by 5's and 10's counting money is harder for them to learn.
If you want to work on time or money by itself Kumon makes workbooks on both of those subjects time by the hour first and just recognizing coins. (My book of easy telling time, my book of telling time, my first book of money counting coins, my book of dollars and cents) You could just use one of your house clocks and use it to work on time.
Time is covered in alpha and some in Beta as well in MUS. If I remember alpha is hours and beta goes into the minutes.

I would spend some time covering place value with decimal street and having her build the numbers- especially the 10-20 ones I seem to find I have to review place value often.
SAHM to DS1 (6-05) , DD1 (12-06) , DD2 (08-08), DD3 (05-10), DD4 (3-13)
knittingk is offline   Reply With Quote