Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
sungodis
Registered Users
seller

Labor question

OK, so at my last appointment (Tuesday) I was at a 3, 70% and really low. I have been having contractions for weeks, sometimes every four minutes for hours. Today, however, they are much, much stronger and have been fairly steady all day. I can't really walk through them anymore and they are about every 8 minutes. How long does that usually go on for? This is my first if that makes a difference. I would love to have the babe tonight, but how do I sleep through them if they stay that consistent?

Also, what is your favorite coping techinique? I was expecting more of the same type I had been having over the past weeks, but these are more intense. I would love some advice from veterans!

My DH is leaving for a week next Wednesday for a mandatory training session. Do you think the babe will come before then?

Advertisement

sungodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
mom2riley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Labor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungodis View Post
OK, so at my last appointment (Tuesday) I was at a 3, 70% and really low. I have been having contractions for weeks, sometimes every four minutes for hours. Today, however, they are much, much stronger and have been fairly steady all day. I can't really walk through them anymore and they are about every 8 minutes. How long does that usually go on for? This is my first if that makes a difference. I would love to have the babe tonight, but how do I sleep through them if they stay that consistent?

Also, what is your favorite coping techinique? I was expecting more of the same type I had been having over the past weeks, but these are more intense. I would love some advice from veterans!

My DH is leaving for a week next Wednesday for a mandatory training session. Do you think the babe will come before then?
How far along are you? My labors are really weird so I can never help
Leilani '10
mom2riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

what works for me every labor is to get in the shower with the warm/hot water pelting down on my lower back... I never feel any contractions when I am doing this... hopefully it will work for you as well... it is very relaxing to me and like I said I never feel any contractions while I am in there with the water hitting me like that.... not the regular shower stream but like the hard shower stream ( if you have an adjustable head on your shower... hope that makes sense)
Old 05-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
sungodis
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2riley View Post
How far along are you? My labors are really weird so I can never help
I'm 38 weeks, 2 days.
sungodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
mom2riley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungodis View Post
I'm 38 weeks, 2 days.
I would also say shower with the water hitting your back, I felt most comfortable on a birthing ball in the shower. If you try to sleep and can't I would say you are going soon. GL mama, I hope this is it.
Leilani '10
mom2riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
MOMMY TO 3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sounds like you are close! I was induced with my first two, so I never knew what going into Labor was like. With my 3rd I went to the Dr at noon, was at 4cm and 50% effaced, I had been having contractions all that day, but he sent me home saying that my water would break first. After being home for an hour the contractions got closer and stronger, so I called he said to go to the hospital, we went and after being there for 43 mins DD was born. What helped me at home was walking through them at first, when they go stronger standing and bending over something helped. My advice to you is if they are getting close and stronger, I would get either your midwife there or to the hospital (not sure what your birth method is) because as I found out you can go from 4cm and easy contractions to complete and ready to push in no time. Good Luck, I think you will have your baby there soon!
MOMMY TO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
Isabellasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With my last one I did not know what to expect, planned c-section the first time. They way I knew was that they got stronger and stronger over time. My contrax never got close together even while pushing they were 5-8 mins apart, so I just called my doc and she said come on in and I was 4 cm. It was almost surreal I did not believe that I was actually in labor, I barely knew but I knew. A warm bath helped. I sat in that until dh could come home.
Isabellasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I hope you are in labor! FWIW, it sounds like you are to me! Hands and knees helped me, too.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
2N_MyArms_1N_TheOven
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was induced with both of mine due to PreE so I dont have firsthand experiece but it sounds to me like labor is VERY close, if not starting! With my oldest I wasn't induced until 38 weeks and by that point I was dialted 4 already. I had ctx every night for about a week and my labor went VERY fast-5 hours from start to finish but I didn't feel any ctx until they broke my water and he was born 2.5 hours after that. Those ctx you have had throughout the week really should help-i hope its a fast labor for you