Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
expaik
Registered Users
seller

What's your favorite kitchen knife?

Do you have one all-purpose knife you use for everything? Chopping, cleaving, peeling?

I absolutely love my Wusthof Santoku. It seems to retain its sharpness and it's lightweight.

I hate Cutco and Henckels - can't seem to keep them sharp.

Advertisement

expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

I love my Victorinox, Henkels (mine stay sharp?), and Messermeister. I also equally use my Boerner mandolin and double-wheel chopped salad knife and bowl.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Re: What's your favorite kitchen knife?

How do you sharpen your Henckels? I have the Twin Pro series (not cheap) and nothing I do gets them sharp.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
Ber10512
Registered Users
seller

I am in love with ceramic knives. I don't even care what brand - even the cheap ones hold an awesome edge. I also appreciate my mandolin slicer, and a cheese board (since ceramic doesn't cut cheese well).
Old 03-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't have one knife that I use for everything, because I have a bunch of knives. But my favorite knife by far is my tomato knife:

I've even considered buying another one so that I have two. The distant runner up is probably my kitchen knife.

I'm fortunate in the way of knives though, because my husband and I bought a block set and added to it before we had children.

The best way to sharpen them is to take them to a professional.

Last edited by danielle; 03-10-2014 at 09:11 AM.
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
I don't have one knife that I use for everything, because I have a bunch of knives. But my favorite knife by far is my tomato knife:

I've even considered buying another one so that I have two. The distant runner up is probably my kitchen knife.

I'm fortunate in the way of knives though, because my husband and I bought a block set and added to it before we had children.

The best way to sharpen them is to take them to a professional.
So these are both Wusthof?

I'm way too cheap to get them professional sharpened.. still trying to find some way to do it myself.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:
I have these super random knives that I bought at a Mennonite co-op. They are cards Rada cutlery and I LOVE THEM! THEY were very inexpensive and stay very sharp and cut well. They were the best impulse purchase ever.
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #8
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

They are both Wusthof. I only have Wusthof because that's what we liked, what... 7 years ago? Time flies, ha. I really don't think it's expensive to get your knives professionally sharpened, but I can't remember how much we pay per knife.

eta. It's $3 per knife

Last edited by danielle; 03-10-2014 at 09:36 AM.
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Anything non-serrated, I sharpen with my scissors sharpener. Non-serrated, a sharpening service at a grocery store. I've only had to once, though, and it cost me $3.00. There's a knife sharpener on amazon that does serrated and regular. It has good reviews, but at $3 every 5 years or so, I can't justify buying it?

Mine may stay sharp longer since I have a ton of the knives I love and use the most. I always want clean knives around so I have no excuse not to chop veggies!
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How sharp a knife stays has to do with the strength of the blade. A stronger blade is more expensive, but it will hold an edge much longer. You also need to maintain knives to keep a good edge. A steel rod hones knives and a stone actually sharpens them. Think of honing like a conditioning treatment for your hair, and sharpening is like a good haircut. Keep the conditioning treatments up and you may not need cuts as often, right? But neither replaces the other.

Knives should be honed after every 1-3 hours of cutting and sharpened every 20ish hours of cutting. My sharpening stone cost less than $5 from an Asian market. If you do it regularly, it only takes a couple of minutes. There are tons of videos on YouTube for how to do both, and they're both super easy.

I highly recommend blade guards for your knives. In a block, knives are resting on their edges. In a drawer, they're bumping into all kinds of things. A blade guard is also safer because the blade is covered until you're ready to use it.

Make sure your knives are high carbon stainless steel. Lower carbon knives will lose an edge too fast. Also, looks for forged knives, not stamped. Cutco knives are all stamped. They suck. Make sure your knife fits your hand well and use proper cutting technique. Improper technique will dull your edge more quickly. Look for full tang knives with good balance. Full tang means the metal continues all the way through the handle. To test balance, try to balance the knife on one finger with your finger right between the handle and the blade. A knife with good balance will be much easier to use. And don't ever put knives in the dishwasher. The prolonged exposure to high heat is not good for them.

All that said, I have a huge range of knives. Which knife I choose has everything to do with what I'm doing at that moment. I think I own about 20 knives right now, not counting steak knives and they all have different purposes.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote