Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
babykp08
Registered Users
seller

Hooked on Phonics vs. All about Reading

Does anyone have experience with both hooked on phonics (HOP) and All about Reading (AAR)? We have the older five box set of HOP, and have used sets one and two in conjunction with explode the code. It's worked pretty well, but I sometimes think it is a little quick paced and presents thing without really explaining the underlying rules of phonics. Does that make sense? I like that AAR seems very thorough. I'd love to hear about your impressions of both or either program. We will use All About Spelling next year when DS starts 1st. I'm just torn on his reading program. Thanks

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hooked on Phonics vs. All about Reading

I used Hooked On Phonics and ETC workbook with my dd1 for K and it worked very well and ended the year with Bob books. Then we moved onto Abeka Phonics for 1st/2nd grade which was awesome again for her. However, dd2 is now in K and a very different child. She's artistic, creative, all over the place, etc. Hooked On Phonics was too tough, fast paced and didn't keep her attention at all..... sooooo, I'm doing easypeasy homeschool or allinonehomeschool with her on their McGuffy reader program and it's awesome for her. She's actually reading now pretty well and it worked. It's free, easy and takes no time at all. It starts on their lesson 172, it's all on the computer and you do their lesson three times a day, then read out of a book. The mother reads the five words out loud and the kid repeats it. The program is memorization of words then later gets to phonics, but my daughter can now read 'Rab's dog sat on the log' with ease (after 7 lessons- I redid lessons until she got them with ease) and likes the program and it's only K. I loved Abeka phonics for 1st grade so I pray she does well with it next year but we will see. The two dd's are complete opposites. DD1 is very scholastic and quick and DD2 can sit and freehand a bird with no training and it looks just like a bird. Very different giftings. I'm just glad I found easy peasy or McGuffy as they use for her this year. Now to find a good math program .