Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Flu Season Babies?

I'm scared to have a flu season baby!

Advertisement

mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Mack
Registered Users
seller

Re: Flu Season Babies?

Just get your flu shot. keep all those grabby old ladies away from the baby.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

We all got flu shots this year and have been constantly sick for months. It's like a mild version that just drags out! Also, the person I've asked to help with my older kiddos when baby is born will be coming from an area that gets hit pretty hard with flu in November.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Mack
Registered Users
seller

Did you ask them to get a flu shot too?
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would skip the flu shot entirely and extra especially and just breastfeed your baby at least through the end of the season. Great handwashing is the single best thing you can do to avoid the flu, and of course be mindful of coughing/sneezing people when out and about.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukawww
I would skip the flu shot entirely and extra especially and just breastfeed your baby at least through the end of the season. Great handwashing is the single best thing you can do to avoid the flu, and of course be mindful of coughing/sneezing people when out and about.
Yeah. But I have two kiddos who bring every single thing home that's going around. So, that doesn't always work when kids are involved. I can, however, go back to washing their hands with Hibiclens before school!
Old 03-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Did you ask them to get a flu shot too?
Yeah. But she will be coming on a plane, and that awful Notovirus goes down something crazy here, too. And the flu shot doesn't protect against that. I wish I wouldn't have had a chemical the month before this pregnancy. That would have at least brought an earlier due date.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommypockets View Post
Yeah. But I have two kiddos who bring every single thing home that's going around. So, that doesn't always work when kids are involved. I can, however, go back to washing their hands with Hibiclens before school!
Yes, but any garbage they bring home will optimize your breastmilk - kind of like a natural flu shot for baby, but without any of the toxins.

You have to remember that you aren't the only mother with other children to have a flu season baby - mama's have been bringing home babies to busy households for many years and I'm pretty sure the statistics are on your side for survival. I do understand wanting to be prepared. I have a December baby (who was only 5.13 at birth) and a March 1st baby. It was always a worry for me too, but remembering that breastmilk is awesome, there is only so much one can do, and realizing that the probability of my baby dying due to illness was pretty low, it helped me to relax. I still wouldn't get the flu shot (and I am not antivax for what its worth).
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Getting the flu shot at the end of your pregnancy can help give the baby some protection before he/she's old enough to get the shot. http://health.usnews.com/health-news...ect-newborns-2
"A small University of Utah study found that pregnant women who receive a flu vaccination pass their flu immunity to their babies in the form of flu antibodies. This protection lasts for a few months after birth.

The researchers found flu antibody protection in all the babies born to 11 pregnant women who received seasonal flu vaccine, compared to 31 percent of babies born to 16 women who did not get the flu vaccine.

Among the babies born to immunized women, antibody protection was still present in 60 percent when they were two months old and in 11 percent when they were four months old. None of the babies born to non-immunized women had antibody protection at two or four months."

Flu shot safety during pregnancy studies: http://www.redwineandapplesauce.com/...ing-pregnancy/
This year has been bad for long drawn out colds and my flu shot kids and non-flu shot daycare kids where all sick with the same colds for the same amount of time. Actually, I'd say the kids who didn't get the flu shot have been sick more often and longer so I wouldn't link the being sick with getting the flu shot. I'd ask that anyone coming to help or hold the baby have their flu shot. My daughter was a flu season baby and she got passed around a lot and never got sick. You just have to do what you can and not worry about what you can't.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 03-09-2014 at 07:32 PM.
chandni3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Yeah. I'm not linking our being sick to the shot. It would just be nice to get it and get it over with. We've all caught every little thing, despite being vaxed (and nursing)

The mama who said nursing to provide protection, yes, but I take it with a grain of salt since my oldest could have easily died from rotavirus she caught, despite being vaxed and nursed when she got it. She has lingering GI effects all these years later. So, yeah, grain of salt.