Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

I'm embarrassed to say how much I've spent on Montessori supplies this year. We have a beautiful school room. Amazing manipulative's. And we don't even go In there most days. ds thinks math manipulative's are a waste of time and thinks the free dry erase number line I printed him is the best thing ever. We don't touch the beautiful puzzles maps because he's not interested in geography, I could go on but he just honestly doesn't care for ANY of it. :Banghead: fingers crossed ds2 likes the method.

Next year I think were gonna give a boxed curriculum a go, but I'm not sure how to place him. He's pretty advanced in math, but on par with reading. Not sure about language....where do I go from here?

Advertisement

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 03-10-2014 at 11:44 AM.
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I've wasted so much money this year.

Do you mean like a complete curriculum kit? Most places have placement guidelines and sample lessons so you can see where he would fit. I think your little guy is just in k? For boxed curriculums, many have you choose the math and reading separately, so you can get just what you need. I know my father's world has everything--except math and la--included after second grade. I believe programs like sonlight are similar.

If the program you want doesn't have something like that, you could always get a box set that's close to his level and modify where needed, or you could get individual programs for each subject.

I'm sorry your curriculum didn't work out. Better luck next year, and at least some you are homeschooling you have the flexibility to change what isn't working.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If he is all over the place I might not try an all in one boxed curriculum. If you really want to do it I would try a couple of sights that offer placement tests and go from there. It is hard when you child doesn't fit the method you thought or wanted to use. I desperately wanted to use Waldorf with Oak Meadow but Kearnan hates hands on and as my oldest that meant it was a no go (it is too spendy for me to buy and not use). He was (and really still is) a computer kid. We spent years doing an online curriculum with just a little bit of me reading to him for history (even that was online based). It wasn't until the first year of trying to do the same with my youngest that I knew we had to start doing something differently. I did manage to find a curriculum that worked for both of my boys and my teaching style. It lets them do their own thing and still come together some times. So far so good anyway.

Sorry, I got a little off topic. I believe that Sonlight has placement tests, Calvert might. Saxon does if you don't mind buying pieces (there is a phonics and math from Saxon but then you would need to look for other subjects).
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
Do you mean like a complete curriculum kit? Most places have placement guidelines and sample lessons so you can see where he would fit. I think your little guy is just in k? For boxed curriculums, many have you choose the math and reading separately, so you can get just what you need. I know my father's world has everything--except math and la--included after second grade. I believe programs like sonlight are similar. If the program you want doesn't have something like that, you could always get a box set that's close to his level and modify where needed, or you could get individual programs for each subject. I'm sorry your curriculum didn't work out. Better luck next year, and at least some you are homeschooling you have the flexibility to change what isn't working.
Thanks for the suggestions. It doesn't have to be a kit. Just something we can open- do the lesson fairly quickly and let him move onto the important things in life- being a kid, crafting and experimenting. Yes, he's in K this year.

I'm wondering if horizons math would be a good fit. It looks pretty "advanced" ?? I may need to back off on what we are working on and try to match what's in their table of contents so he's ready for the next level?
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Christian Light is very open and go and is advanced in math. That might work for him. Maybe try doing something like Christian Light or Christian Liberty for LA and math and do something more Charlotte Mason for science and history. CM really focuses on short lessons and giving children time to be children and explore nature and their world.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
cbreeding
Registered Users

I don't know how old your son is, but my kiddos go through phases. For weeks on end they will want to use one type of manipulative and then just like that it's on to something else. Or be really into looking at maps and then it's our anatomy/body books. It's all about puzzles and then board games. Some phases last days, others months, it just depends. I've become very glad that I have a wide variety of things that the kids have access to as we have done a lot of spur-of-the-moment learning. Of course, many of the manipulatives don't get used as intended either. Our unifix cubes became keys to magical doors.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sell it if you aren't getting any use out of it. Honestly, some wasted money/unused curriculum is par for the course in homeschooling. It happens. You have to expect it. Fortunately, you can often make a good bit of your investment back by selling things.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #8
qtytot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I bought a lot of stuff for DD. I used a mix of Waldorf and Montessori. Waldorf is mostly our weekly walks and story time but toys I bought what was suggested in the Montessori at Home book. I have found that she plays with them when she has a friend over. When she plays by herself, she likes the small toys. For example, her crate of blocks she plays only with a friend because they are big. I got her smaller blocks which I put in a child size basket. They are portable so she plays with those often. The same with the Lego duplos, she has 2 large plastic tubs of it, but prefers the regular Legos because they are smaller. Also we have the big abacus. She prefers the small soroban more. In our house the mini dolls gets more play than the regular size AG doll. The mini dolls have been to many places, she keeps them safe in her pocket. I'm still keeping the other toys though, I'm sure she will get to them when she older and their are not to big or heavy on little hands.

We are starting DD with CLE, we're waiting for the books to arrive. It took me two months to decide what to use and which level to start. I emailed CLE curriculum advisor. They are very helpful. The sample pages and free diagnostic test also helped. I have realized that with homeschooling, there are no home works and it does not matter whether you child is advanced or below the grade level for the age because you will be their to guide them.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:25 AM   #9
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I'm doing montessori but my oldest is only 2 so we're just starting. Remember, in Montessori the child leads and they go through sensitive periods. He may just be in a sensitive period for writing right now and prefers to do his math that way. It doesn't mean he won't want to use the materials later. And the great thing is you can always sell them. Do you follow any Montessori homeschool blogs? I really like What Did We Do All Day. She has two boys. Also on facebook I'm part of Montessori on a Budget group. They can give you lots of advice. Try putting the materials you want him to use out in a visible open spot or see if there's a way you can change them up, there's lots of extensions for most materials. Check out Montessori Print Shop.
Oh, and I find we dont' go in our playroom/school room unless I'm doing daycare. So we're making the livingroom the playroom since it's the main area of the house. Kids like to be where we are and where the action is happening. Since me and the kids are home all day living in the house then I figure the house should be set up for them. Maybe if you make a spot in the playroom for you to do work or a hobby, you'll spend more time in there and by default he will too.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 03-11-2014 at 04:29 AM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith View Post

I'm wondering if horizons math would be a good fit. It looks pretty "advanced" ?? I may need to back off on what we are working on and try to match what's in their table of contents so he's ready for the next level?
I've used Horizons math for all 3 of mine, from grade K-5 so far. I really, really like it, and the kids do too (as much as a kid can like math). Two of mine I started with the K level when they turned 5. One was my DS2 who was just barely 5 when kindergarten started, the other is my DD who isn't technically in kindergarten yet (because she just turned 5 last December), but the book is a good fit for her. My oldest son has always been really advanced, so he started with the grade 1 book in kindergarten.

One thing to keep in mind is that I have found no use for the teacher's guides. I bought them my first year, but gave it away and haven't used them since.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote