Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

I am SO lost and confused...

Ok...so Im looking through everything for homeschool and I am wondering what I should do here.

These were recommended:
ALEKS {we used this in public school and I do really like it} for math
Mystery of History
Analytical Grammar
Apologia Science

We are a Catholic family, so I will likely use:
Kolbe or Catholic Heritage...

How does this all work though? Do I just patch work? I would like a very very strong Math and Science as well as English program. History is a bit more relaxed for me. I would also like to know if I would be better off just doing a religious education separately? This all seems like a lot and it is very very overwhelming.

Does anyone have feedback on any of what I am looking at?

Advertisement

abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: I am SO lost and confused...

The only ones I am familiar with that you mentioned are Apologia, which I feel is a solid program, and Mystery of History, which we also enjoy.

Now, as far as how to put it together, we get the books at the beginning of the year and typically just do a level for that year. I do not struggle to make a book fit the year, though. Most things are designed to fit into a typical school year, and will take into consideration that some lessons go faster than others.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure what ages your children are, but particularly for history, I would look into RC History (aka Connecting with History). It is a classically based Catholic program. MOH is fine for ancients, but becomes anti-Catholic in vol. 2 (or so I've heard).

Other Catholic programs to look at are Mater Amabilis, Mother of Divine Grace, Seton, Our Lady of the Rosary and Homeschool Connections (for middle/high school).
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:46 AM   #4
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

You will probably feel uncomfortable with protestant history curricula that covers the Reformation. They focus on the reasons why protestants left the RCC and the persecution early protestants suffered. It's history but you probably wouldn't be comfortable with the emphasis/interpretations offered. So that would include MOH.

I'd look at what Kolbe or CHC has, or Mater Amabilis which is free online for history.

Science. Many homeschoolers love Apologia elementary. I've chosen to at least skip it for now because of the way it is writtsn. The man who founded Apologia when it only sold jr/sr high stuff has just published his first elementary course called Science in the Beginning. You might want to look at that.
There's also a good Catholic curriculum called Behold and See. It's very tempting.
The strongest science I know is secular. Building Foundations For Scientific Understanding.

For strong math I'd look at conceptual understanding as a focus of the program like Singapore, Right Start, Miquon, & use it as a supplement to ALEKS. You'd probably end up with a very solid math then.

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote