Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
rdunlap
Registered Users

Fitteds and wool

Does someone mind schooling me on the best fitted diapers for day and night? Also what would I *need* in a stash to use wool and fitteds full time for a 8 month old and 2.5 year old?

Advertisement

rdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Fitteds and wool

What is best varies from baby to baby. Some kids like mine don't wet heavily and any old fitted does the job unless it is seriously worn out. Other kids are heavy wetters and need lot's of absorbency. For those kids I don't know.

Some kids have extra chunky thighs and do best with side snap diapers where you can adjust thigh separately from waist a bit more easily.

Some mamas are picky about fit and hunt for the 'perfect' fit. I have found it doesn't really matter for the most part. My son has a generous hiney. Narrower diapers don't fit so well on him but they do the job(absorb pee, keep poop in) so we deal with a bit of cheek hanging out rather than bother reselling to fund the 'perfect' diaper. For us all that really matter is if the diaper does the job it was purchased to do.

The think with wool covers is that if the diaper is a bit big or is a bit narrow leaving a bit of cheek doesn't really matter as it is designed for full coverage either way.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 03-14-2014 at 01:20 AM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:23 AM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

For full time cloth you will need 24-36 diapers and between 3-6 covers. 3 is the absolute minimum though. I would not want to do with less. 4-5 is comfortable. Most wind up with more because we have issues and don't always know when to say enough is enough.

Now if you are doing wool as the pants you may wish for a few more. I prefer 10 when doing it as clothing. But I tend to go up in size and get a good amount of wear out of our wool. The majority of our wool gets around 2 years of use minimum.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
rdunlap
Registered Users

That is awesome. We are having major fit issues with fuzzibunz, bum genius and gdiapers. I was hoping that fitteds and wool would be more forgiving. He has fat thighs and a narrow lower abdomen and where it gaps he leaks just about every time. My two year old never leaks unless I just flat out don't change her when I should. Normally she will tell me if she is wet, if she doesn't and I wait to long to check she will leak.
rdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
MomBecks
Registered Users

I'd recommend a side-snapping fitted like Sandy's or Orange Diaper Co if your LO has that shape. You can get a much better fit. And 36 should be enough for 2 in diapers. I also like having around 4 wool covers (which are usually sized) so you've got back-up when they're drying.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree 36 would be a good minimum # for 2 b/c you'll have a full load every other day. I did fitteds & wool FT for DS for 3yrs. Now he's in trainers (made from prefolds we started potty training 2wks ago)) & interlock wool longies.

you probably want 4 covers for each kid. 3 day & 1 night. I like interlock wool for day (loveybums is my favorite). the size Large lasts for a wicked long time my son started fitting into it at 16lbs & now at 3 & over 30lbs they still fit! I like kissaluv machine knit for night.

for fitteds I say buy a few brands used to see what you like the fit of before you buy a ton. My DS fits best in goodmamas & piddle poodles.