Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
Melusine
Registered Users
seller

Meals requiring little/no cooking

I built up a big stash of frozen leftovers before the baby arrived, but now we're almost through them. It's still quite hard for me to cook much more than sticking things in the microwave as baby wants to be held all the time and DH works late so isn't around before dinner time. But I don't want to rely on store frozen meals or delivery.

So I'm looking for dinner ideas that are super simple and require little actual... cooking. E.g., chicken caesar salad wraps (which I can make with precooked chicken pieces). Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Your best bet would probably be to make large amounts of meals on a day your DH is home. Make up a bunch of crockpot meals, make a couple of casseroles or freezer meals, etc. Similar to what you did before Baby was born, but on a smaller scale.

Also, try prepping meals earlier in the day when Baby is napping or happier then warming them up at dinner time.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Taco salad or burritos or tacos. I microwave refried beans and set out sour cream, salsa, lettuce, and shredded cheese. (I keep them in their original containers to make it easy.) Then people fill up their own tortillas, taco shells, or plate of chips.

8 layer bean dip is similar. In a casserole dish, make 1 layer each of refried beans, salsa, diced canned olives, diced canned green chili, avocado & diced fresh tomatoes (these are the only items that requires prep, and could easily be left off), sour cream, and shredded cheese. Serve with tortilla chips.

Couscous is cool because it only requires hot water to fluff it up. I used it once when I thought we were going to have a blackout for a few days. I can't remember the exact recipe, but it required no cooking.

I'd also get a supply of frozen vegetables that you can microwave quickly, as well as bagged salad that you can just set on the table in the bag. That will make vegetables easy.

There's always good old hot dogs as a back up plan! They microwave quickly! I'll be back if I think of more...
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
First off, congrats!
Roasting a chicken is super simple (season it and stick it in the oven). It's 5 extra secs to roast a second bird at the same time and that can provide the basis for a bunch of different meals. Very little hands on time paired with a steam in the bag veg and bread/butter. Leftovers can be eaten cold and in the case of drumsticks, with one hand, which is helpful when dealing with a nb!
Crockpot pulled pork - makes tons, leftovers can be used to make wraps or bowls or whatever.
Pasta bake- its something like 1 box pasta, 1 jar sauce, 1 jar water. Mix, cover with foil, bake for 45 mins. Again, minimal hands on time. I am butchering that recipe though, so you should look it up on pinterest or something...

And, sigh, my go to super quick meal - cheese, crackers, sausage or pepperoni, and fruit. Bonus, super simple cleanup for DH.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
Melusine
Registered Users
seller

Re: Meals requiring little/no cooking

Thanks for the ideas!
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
Mmarchi
Registered Users
seller

great
Mmarchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
imnotacodfish
Registered Users
seller

The crock pot is my best friend. One of my favorite recipes is to put stew beef in with 1-2 cans each of cream of mushroom and golden mushroom soup. Cook 6-8 hours on low and serve on egg noodles for stroganoff. I use Reynolds crock pot liners so there is hardly any clean up. Those things are magical.
imnotacodfish is offline   Reply With Quote