Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
shelbe
Registered Users

Avoiding smelly diapers/stripping

I use Flip diapers, and I'm not a cloth diaper guru at all. After about 4 months I noticed that the inserts would smell strongly of urine just after an hour of wear...like it smells when my LO wakes up. My routine is the insert goes in a pail with water and vinegar, and then every other day I wash, on a heavy duty cycle with hot water after first doing a rinse and spine (my rinse cycle doesn't do hot water). Then, as much as possible, I dry in the sun, but if it's rainy I throw them in the dryer.

My friend has Flips and says that she 'strips' her inserts every 6 months by boiling them. I tried this and it worked, but one month later I already felt like I should do it again, which seems like too soon!

Anyone have any pointers or tips???

Advertisement

shelbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

Which detergent do you use and how much?

When I started I used the recommended 1 tablespoon of rockin green and had terrible stink. I switched to tide powder at the full recommended amount and haven't had issues. In my opinion if you need to strip your diapers frequently then your wash routine isn't working.
Jcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Re: Avoiding smelly diapers/stripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcurrie View Post
In my opinion if you need to strip your diapers frequently then your wash routine isn't working.
yup. Use a strong detergent and use the full amount. I wash only twice a week and never ever strip them. I do use only cotton diapers, though.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcurrie View Post
Which detergent do you use and how much?

When I started I used the recommended 1 tablespoon of rockin green and had terrible stink. I switched to tide powder at the full recommended amount and haven't had issues. In my opinion if you need to strip your diapers frequently then your wash routine isn't working.
Exactly.

you need more detergent and/or a stronger one. I use a full cap full of either Arm and Hammer or All. Your diapers are soiled in humane waste--tiny amounts will not work long term or at all.

In 4 years i have NEVER has stink or had to strip. This is what I do every time. I wash every 3 days. All my diapers go in dry pail and I only plop the poop

1. short wash cold/cold rinse --nothing added.
2. long wash hot/cold rinse--full amount of detergent
2. short wash hot/cold rinse--nothing added

Everything goes in to the dryer except for a few times in the summer when I sun the stains out from winter.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Your inserts aren't getting clean. There is some residual funk staying on the inserts.

I'd try different detergents/amounts and see what happens.

I went with a store cheaply recently and all my dipes (MF, cotton and hemp)started smelling as soon as LO wet them.

Switch to tide (no change in routine) stink is gone.

Personally I never messed around with wet pails. I dump the solids, keep them in a wet bag and throw the whole thing in the washer.

Last edited by AniMommy; 03-14-2014 at 08:49 PM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
MyNameIsMama
Registered Users
seller

If you have hard water, vinegar is going to make your problems worse.
MyNameIsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:18 AM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would agree you might need for detergent, but you may not NEED tide. Try using more of what you use first. How many days do you go between washings? Bacteria could be building up in your wet pail. If you do longer than every other you may want to change the water more often or consider leaving inserts out to dry in the bath tub after they soak for a while.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
SwanMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Which Flip inserts are you using? The stay-dry, day time organic, or the night time organic?

Well, I suppose it doesn't much matter. Your diapers aren't getting clean regardless. I'd try changing something up, and probably start with your wet pail first. You wash frequently enough that a wet pail shouldn't be necessary, and the vinegar could be hurting, rather than helping, the situation.

If changing that doesn't help, maybe try adding more detergent. Lastly, switching detergent.
SwanMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
BirthdayMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanMomma
Which Flip inserts are you using? The stay-dry, day time organic, or the night time organic? Well, I suppose it doesn't much matter. Your diapers aren't getting clean regardless. I'd try changing something up, and probably start with your wet pail first. You wash frequently enough that a wet pail shouldn't be necessary, and the vinegar could be hurting, rather than helping, the situation. If changing that doesn't help, maybe try adding more detergent. Lastly, switching detergent.
This exactly.