Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
massage mama
Registered Users

FYI on iron deficiency

I just heard something today i would like to share and hopefully it will help someone TTC.
7 out of 10 women form ages 15 to 55 are low in iron. That is 70% and it can be worse for women who have just had a baby and after breastfeeding. That is what happened to me I actually thought I was preggo again because i was so exhausted all the time so my MD decide to test my thyroid and iron levels (not hemoglogin)as well. So your score should be in the 40s mine was 6 sadly but now that i have been taking supplement for a few months it is at 27 so much better than 6 but i still have to supplement for a few more months.

So the reason i'm telling you this is because your iron being low can affect your ability to conceive. Also drinking soft drinks and tea and coffee can affect how your body absorbs the iron so you may be eating the right iron right foods but affecting the bodies ability to absorb it by drinking caffinated drinks. yikes.
I will be TTC in the next few months after my iron is better. Iron helps to carry oxygen throughout your body so the main symptom of deficiency is malaise and fatigue but most women just push through it. It caused me to also have dizzy spells and be very fuzzy headed. So I am doing better able to get stuff done again but not yet 100%.
So I hope this FYI helps someone, anyone.
T

Advertisement

massage mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
mamato5angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: FYI on iron deficiency

I also have low iron but did not realise that it can cause you not to concieve. Last time i had my iron checked by a finger stick it was someplace around 10 and it should be around 13. The funny thing is that once I am expecting it goes up to normal. I have never had to take iron through any of my pregancies.
mamato5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: FYI on iron deficiency

I've been the opposite of Wendy.

Now that I am pregnant, my iron levels have been very low. The first time I was tested, they were about 9. I was prescribed an iron tablet to take once daily, and it brought my levels up to 10.4
They doubled the dosage, and my level went up to 10.7
I am now on a triple dosage daily (450mg) and I will be tested one last time at my next appointment. I'm hoping I've made a nice jump up above 11.

I had no idea that iron levels could plummet so much during pregnancy, but I hear it's quite normal. And during the last trimester I know that if your levels are low, they tend to drop even more since the baby is working so hard on putting on extra fat and taking so much of your nutrients.

I will probably stay on a small dosage even after she is born, because now that I look back, I think my lack of energy and overall feeling of wellbeing was probably due to low iron prior to pregnancy as well.

Thanks for sharing that info, though.