Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Has anyone ever been told...

I'm a PNP and the ped I work with tells moms this a lot. I do tell them to supplement with pumped milk or formula via syringe if it appears that the jaundice is worsening d/t dehydration b/c mom's milk is not in yet. Kernicterus is what happens if it gets too high and that can cause brain damage.....I would NEVER take the chance that one of my babies would be hurt b/c I didn't do something. (Note, I said "my babies." I LOVE my patients and they're all MY babies.) I do NOT tell them to give a bottle, though (my ped does).
Tell them to try to give her a few mL via syringe and then transfer the baby to the breast (we did this a lot with my ds to try to get him back to breast) or to nurse when baby's a little sleepy or not just screaming hungry (I never could get ds back to breast but he will nurse like a little champ when he's sleepy or needs a little comfort from mommy). Also, a supplemental nurser might help. Also, have her pump like crazy to keep that milk going. I have been EPing for 3 mos, and for weeks 2-4 I tried to get ds to the breast daily. Finally, I gave up after a LC told me it would never happen . But at 6wks, he suddenly latched on and nursed. Thank God I had milk. He still nurses once daily to get his evening nap in. So, it can happen for her. Just be persistent.

Advertisement

SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:36 AM   #12
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

WHAT A CROCK OF YOU KNOW WHAT!!!
I know that you can suplatment with formula to help flush it out. But why in the world would ANYONE tell a mother to stop nursing A NEW BORN, is beond me!!

My last DD was jaundice. She peaked at 19.4 and I was NEVER told to not nurse her. I think your sisters friend seriously needs a new pedi. befor s/he tells her to do soemthing else totally STUPID!

As for relatching the baby, s/h is still new and I hope that she can make it work out. Engourage her to keep trying. Maybe she could get an sns to use. Is she pumping? She could put the pumped milk in it and that way the baby can taste the bm right away. If that makes any since. I think that since her DC is so young that she has a good reason to fight to get back on the breast. GL to her..
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:41 AM   #13
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn'smommy View Post
I'm a PNP and the ped I work with tells moms this a lot. I do tell them to supplement with pumped milk or formula via syringe if it appears that the jaundice is worsening d/t dehydration b/c mom's milk is not in yet. Kernicterus is what happens if it gets too high and that can cause brain damage.....I would NEVER take the chance that one of my babies would be hurt b/c I didn't do something. (Note, I said "my babies." I LOVE my patients and they're all MY babies.) I do NOT tell them to give a bottle, though (my ped does).
Tell them to try to give her a few mL via syringe and then transfer the baby to the breast (we did this a lot with my ds to try to get him back to breast) or to nurse when baby's a little sleepy or not just screaming hungry (I never could get ds back to breast but he will nurse like a little champ when he's sleepy or needs a little comfort from mommy). Also, a supplemental nurser might help. Also, have her pump like crazy to keep that milk going. I have been EPing for 3 mos, and for weeks 2-4 I tried to get ds to the breast daily. Finally, I gave up after a LC told me it would never happen . But at 6wks, he suddenly latched on and nursed. Thank God I had milk. He still nurses once daily to get his evening nap in. So, it can happen for her. Just be persistent.
You should try to get the moms to use the sns to supplament. This keeps the DC at the breast at all feedings.

Last edited by Nikkis_Little_Ladies; 05-31-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:47 AM   #14
It's Me!
Registered Users

This is "old school" but still very prevalent! Luckily when my last child was jaundice, I had a Dr. that DIDN'T tell me that. She told me to nurse, nurse often. Yes, the jaundice clears up slower in breastfed babies, but they don't think it is as harmful (meaning the jaundice - the color is there, but the breastfeeding is actually helping). My son still looked really jaundice after a few days, but his numbers were good and getting better, but you couldn't tell just by looking at him.

The only thing your friend can probably do is stop offering the bottle completely. The baby will get hungry, but will be more likely to figure things out, than if the bottle is offered after an attempt to nurse. This is hard to get through for the parents though. I speak from experience. My first child was a preemie and didn't know how to suck. We had to start him on formula from the get go. Two weeks later I still couldn't get him to latch on for more than a second and even that wasn't consistent. My doc. told me to quit offering the bottle. He did start nursing after that. But it was hard for the first few feedings. This may not work if their baby won't latch at all though.

It's sad that the Dr.s gave them that BAD advice. I would suggest they keep trying though, even if they do keep offering the bottle.

Blessings
It's Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:01 AM   #15
stellar225
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbear178 View Post
To stop nursing a newborn that was jaundice? My sister's friend and his girlfriend(both 17) just has a baby and apparantly their doctor told them to stop nursing because the baby was jaundice and apparantly the only way to make this go away is to stop nursing. They listenind to the doc and gave the baby formula for a few days. The jaundice has clearned up but now the baby has no interest in nursing. They tried putting some sugar water on her nipple to tempt the baby back to nursing but it didnt work. I persoanlly am surpried to hear a doctor would suggest this. Both of my babies were a little jaundice at birth and no one ever told me to stop nursing. Anyone have any ideas I could pass along so they can try to get the baby back into nursing? Any ideas are appreciated.
No way! I was told "nurse-nurse-nurse that baby!" when my daughter was born jaundiced.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:21 AM   #16
somersocial
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I was told to switch to formula. I went with my mommy instinct and did some marathon nursing with some window/sunlight time.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:29 AM   #17
bryandcam+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This just goes to show how much some doctors know. My oldest was jaundice badd and they never told me to supplment all they said to do is to stick him in direct sunlight for about 10 min. within weeks his jaundice went away. im sry to hear that breastfeeding is going to be so hard on her.
bryandcam+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:35 AM   #18
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was actually told the more BM that DS got, the better off he would be! We bottle fed (my EBM) because he couldn't latch, but that also allowed him to stay under the light more.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:45 AM   #19
valeriemarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We were told to stop nursing for 24 hours but we didn't listen! And what do you know! The jaundice still went away.
valeriemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:08 AM   #20
Phooey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We were told to nurse as much as possible to keep hydration levels up and put him in the sun. He did have to go on a billirubin light for a few days (we're high altitude, so jaundice is more common...), but it eventually cleared up and things were fine.

Phooey on weird advice
Kim, WIFE to an amazing hubby, MOM to Duncan (12 - early teenager syndrome), Jensen (10 - middle child syndrome), two angels, Rowan (3 - preschooler syndrome), and Kaylen Grace (born 10/29/10 - Down syndrome).
Phooey is offline   Reply With Quote