Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2007, 09:39 AM   #21
manatee7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Has anyone ever been told...

So I was induced on March 18th. The Epidural was put in with a “Booster” to make the Epidural more powerful. (For those of you that have met me…you know that I am usually 108 lbs and 5 feet tall. (Clearing throat…Ben says 4 foot 11) Anyway, I do not need a BOOSTER in my epidural. So as soon as it started to take effect I started vomiting. (I did this through the rest of the labor, delivery, and recovery) Pretty much ruined that whole experience. My Dr. was pretty mad about what had happened. He yelled at the staff to “fix” me. He asked what all they had given me to stop the vomiting. The nurse said that she kept giving me cocktails of medicine but nothing was working. (I usually try to have a drug-free labor…so I was not happy) I started shaking and could not control it. (So I did not want to hold Ireland for long, I was afraid that I would hurt her. They moved me to my room, at this point I was so medicated I only remember parts. (I had to ask my mom if anyone did my fingerprint or if I signed the Birth Certificate) I was waiting for my father to come and see Ireland. (For those of you that remember he had a stroke this year and I was afraid that he would not be able to hold/see his new grandbaby) Well, he was there; I was too drugged up to realize. (Ben gave my father the card that I made him about the stroke and how I was so happy that he was able to be with us) Then the nurse told all of my family to leave!!! To leave!!! My mother said…even her own mother??? So I wake up later with a horrible headache. (Not wanting medication…I did not tell the nurse about it.) I look around to an empty room and ask Ben where everyone went. He then told me that the nurse told everyone that I said for them to leave. (I am pretty mad about that. My Dad didn’t even get a chance to hold Ireland!!!) Oh, and my Mom told Ben that my main wish was to nurse Ireland right away. I was shaking too bad during recovery to even try. So my Mom told Ben that it was very important to me to nurse her as soon as possible. So Ben helped Ireland to latch on and nurse while I was a sleep…I totally missed out on it, but I am very happy that Ben was able to help Ireland to nurse.

A few hours later Ireland had turned dark orange. I told the nurse that I was RH Negative and that Ireland needed to start Light Therapy because of her color. The nurse said, well…let’s just wait and see what happens, since you have had all of your Rhogam shots. (So her numbers shoot up and she gets really sick…then they start the lights.) Over our visit we battled with Ireland’s numbers trying to keep them down. Ben had to go home and visit with the children at night, and he would come back during the day. (They were starting to get worried and feeling left out…I did not want them up there because I was so upset and didn’t want to upset Danielle & Elijah) I stayed at the hospital the whole time; I did not want to leave the hospital with out Ireland.

I broke down crying one night. I was sore; we had asked for Ireland after 2 hours they did not bring her to me until 4 hours later. Then she came into my room to nurse. She would not nurse…no interest in it at all. (I have a time limit of 30 minutes every 2 hours to nurse and visit then she goes back to the nursery!!!) So we call them up and ask if they had fed her anything. The nurse said no…we argued, and then she said, well maybe she was fed a little in the nursery. (This was done with out my knowledge or consent…I wanted to only breastfeed her.) Then they called in a Lactation Consultant to see why she was not feeding. (Duh, it was because she was not hungry) After all of that, I was so tired. (This was like 3 am anyway and I was totally engorged) After an hour of no feeding…I asked if my Mom could bring Ireland back to the nursery and they said no that I would have to do it. So I walk her down there and checked her back in so that she could get back in the lights. Then the nurse tells me that I am only allowed to have Ireland out for 30 minutes not an hour. I started to cry and said that they were the ones who called the Lactation Consultant and that they kept her out for an hour…it was not my fault. Then another nurse walks up and starts to get onto me for having the baby out for too long. I am at the point of deep crying. (You know when you cannot breathe) They then tell me that I will need to bottle-feed her formula so that they can feed her near the lights and keep track of her intake. I am beyond the point of mad. I told them that I wanted to call my husband and to calm down first before I gave them an answer. The nurse started to try to hug me as I was trying to leave. They said “What do you want us to do” I told them “Just help my baby get better…I do not care what it takes, just make her better!” Later that morning when things settled down…I met with Dr. Jones. (She has been wonderful!!! I love her!!!) We decided that Ireland would use a bottle. (I could pump and mix the bottles half formula and half breast milk… We then doubled up her lights from top and bottom to try to get the numbers down.

Moving forward a bit…we once again met up with Dr. Jones and she said that they would be testing Ireland at 5 pm and if her numbers were better we could take her home and use medical equipment at home. (By this time Ireland was getting blood tests every 4 hours…she was full of small scabs) We received the wonderful news that her numbers were down and that we could take her home. The Medical Equipment guy met up with us in the nursery and showed us how to set everything up. We picked up the kids and went home. Ben and I tried to sleep in shifts. Ireland had to stay in the lights for 2 hours, then fed by bottle in the bed…taken out for no longer than 10 minutes for a diaper change and burp then put back in the lights. Every 3 hours we had to take her temperature in the bed. (This was 24 hours a day 7 days a week) We had a home nursing staff come by in the mornings to do her blood test, measure head/weight/temp, etc…Then her numbers went up. So the guy with the medical equipment drove from Broken Arrow to our house in Owasso and gave us additional lights to put on her. We had to make trips to Dr. Jones’s office (45 min away) to get tested and checked over. Then I had to take her back to the hospital to get a full blood test to check everything out. The Dr. met with a Hematologist to see what he thought was wrong with her and if we would need to do a blood transfusion or surgery. He said that there has not been enough funding for studies on her blood disorder and that we would just keep doing what we were doing. (Pretty much that we were in the dark)

We went to the Dr.’s office for more testing. (I kept a chart full of records of everything for the Dr. I mean everything) Her numbers were down all the way to 9.3! (The goal is 8) This was on a Thursday, Dr. Jones said that we would keep Ireland off the lights through the weekend and see how her numbers were on Monday. She also said that I could try Ireland back on the breast! (By this time I am pretty much dried up) So I nurse and pump like crazy…I am now back to fully breastfeeding her! We bring her back in on Monday and her numbers were at 10.8. The Dr. said that she was totally happy with how Ireland looks and that she will not need another blood test until later. We were no longer using the equipment and started putting her in the Sun. (There was nothing but rain forever and we did not have sunlight for her) Ireland’s color is now great and she is happy and looks healthy.

Ireland hated the lights, she hated her mask. She tore her umbilical cord off in the lights when she was mad one day. She was always taking off her mask and tearing down the blanket that was on top of the lights to keep the heat in….She was not allowed to wear clothing in the lights, so she outgrew many of her NB clothing before she could wear them. She was in the hospital wearing disposables so she also outgrew many of her NB cloth diapers. Her first time out of the lights and down for tummy time she rolled over 3 times. I kept putting her on her tummy and she would roll back over. I am so excited that we can now hold Ireland. I would cry because 10 minutes every 2 hours to change and burp her is not enough time to snuggle!

My cousin just had a baby and her baby had jaundice. They said that her milk never came in and that the baby would need formula. (This was day 5) I warned her mother that they would do that to her...and they did. Now they use formula. It really upsets me that they do not support breastfeeding more.

I used this site http://www.drjacknewman.com/ it really helped me return to brestfeeding Ireland. Have her take a look around at his site or this one: http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml

Advertisement

Last edited by manatee7; 05-31-2007 at 09:45 AM.
manatee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:46 AM   #22
kulaswifeandmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have NEVER EVER heard a person bve told that. My son was jaundiced and I was told to NURSE NURSE NURSE to get it to go away!!
& Emris (6/27/11) Pregnant with #5, a boy! Due 11/10/14
kulaswifeandmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:48 AM   #23
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
DD had jaundice and they just told us to nurse often. The more she nursed the faster the jaundice would go away.
except I have a DS.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:54 AM   #24
laytonsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
DD had jaundice and they just told us to nurse often. The more she nursed the faster the jaundice would go away.
I had the same with DS.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:12 AM   #25
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki25_3 View Post
You should try to get the moms to use the sns to supplament. This keeps the DC at the breast at all feedings.
I want them to nurse as much as possible and after nursing the baby offer 10-20mL via syringe. I WANT them on the breast as much as possible. The SNS is a good idea, but I'm in an extremely rural area and these ladies don't have the access or money to get a SNS so I give them a syringe and some tubing to supplement with. I tell them that unless they want to stop bfing, "do not give that baby a bottle, use the syringe and tube."
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:47 AM   #26
Mom192
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean_o_curls View Post
hmm thats weird. I know with ariana she was pretty jaundiced and i was never told to stop breastfeeding only to put ariana in indirect sunlight as much as possible
My DD was a preemie and very jaundice and I was told this same thing, when we took her home. They did let me BF while she was in the hospital as well [and pump what I could].
Old 06-01-2007, 12:36 AM   #27
julucas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd was jaundice also and my ped also told me to quit nursing. I started bawling in the ped office immediately (okay I was post partem...) and refused. He then asked if I would just supplement. I also refused. Instead I woke the poor baby up every 1 or 2 hours and nursed ALLLLL and ALLLL night. She turned out fine. I also changed peds.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #28
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes!
nipple shield and a weekend of working at it -no bottles- got him back to breast - not to mention a very supoortive dh
Old 06-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #29
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i was using breastmilk-pumped but i think its the bottle thing some babes cant take -
another suggestion is to use a shield- have it on and ready then drop water or milk if you have some handy, simethicone, in the babe's mouth and see if the baby will start nursing then. b/c of the bottle- my son thought nipples should start dripping milk at first cry, then sucking should start and the nipple should be FIRM- after 3 months we are shield free and i have PLENTY of milk if someone mentions supply issuses
Old 06-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #30
kthoelen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds had jaundic bad and the pedi said to keep nursing and that will help clear it up. So we did and by the end of the week he was in the clear. That is weird that they told her to stop nursing.