Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
gghmommy
Registered Users

what to pack in lunch?

DH usually packs a lunch which is a meat sandwich maybe applesauce, granola bar or pack of crackers. I'd like to make his lunches a little healthier, he'd like some variety. He'll do fruit sometimes, but not always. Any ideas on something I can make to take the place of the bars/crackers? I'm hoping to get some sourdough started soon and make things with it, need to figure out cinnamon and raisin bread - the kids are loving toast right now. any ideas or help on that would also be appreciated.

Advertisement

gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
chamise
Registered Users
seller

I pack bentos or leftovers. I make way more for dinner than I need so I have lunch. www.justbento.com for bento ideas.
chamise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
luvub40
Registered Users

Re: what to pack in lunch?

Instead of a sandwich, how about a wrap? Maybe bring yogurt: once with granola and another day use as a dip for sliced fruit.
luvub40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
Hoping2BaMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I like taking a tortilla wrap and spreading peanut on 1/2 of it. Then put a banana on the PB. Sometimes I drizzle a little honey (not much or it will run out when eating) over the banana then roll it up. I put a little more PB at the end of the wrap (when rolled up) to "glue" the end closed.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
betsynic
Registered Users
seller

I just found a recipe for bacon cheeseburger mini puffs. These would make a great alternative to the sandwich.

Bacon Cheeseburger Mini Puffs

Yield: 24 puffs
Ingredients:

6 oz raw 95% lean ground beef
1 T McCormick Hamburger seasoning
3 T finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
c white whole wheat flour
t baking powder
1/8 t salt
1/8 t crushed red pepper flakes
c skim milk
1 large egg
4 oz reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot 50% reduced fat but you can also use 2% pre-shredded)
3 T Hormel Real Bacon Bits

Directions:

Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 24 count mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
Bring a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add the ground beef. Cook, breaking up into small pieces with a spoon or spatula. When partially browned, add the hamburger seasoning and mix in. Continue to cook until meat is browned. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook a couple more minutes until onion is tender. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and crushed red pepper. Add the milk and egg and whisk together to thoroughly combine. Add the ground beef mixture, cheese and bacon bits and stir until combined.
Divide the batter evenly amongst the prepared mini muffin tin cups. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes until golden. Serve with the condiments of your choice for dipping (I prefer ketchup and mustard).

Weight Watchers Points Plus:
1 per puff, 5 for 4 puffs (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weigh****chers.com)

Nutrition Information per Puff:
44 calories, 3 g carbs, 2 g fat, 4 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

There is also one for mini pizza puffs with pepperoni.
betsynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #6
betsynic
Registered Users
seller

I am going to try these and the cheeseburger ones in the cake pop maker.

Pepperoni Pizza Mini Puffs
Yield: 6 (4 puff) servings
Ingredients:

c white whole wheat flour
t baking powder
1 T Italian seasoning
1/8 t salt
1/8 t crushed red pepper flakes
c skim milk
1 large egg
1 c reduced fat 2% shredded mozzarella cheese
c grated Parmesan cheese
4 oz sliced turkey pepperoni, quartered
c pizza sauce (for dipping)

Directions:

Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 24 count mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, salt and red pepper. Add the milk and egg and whisk together to thoroughly combine. Add the mozzarella, Parmesan and pepperoni and stir until combined.
Divide the batter evenly amongst the prepared mini muffin tin cups. Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes until golden. Serve with warm pizza sauce for dipping.

Weight Watchers Points Plus:
6 per (4 puff) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weigh****chers.com)
Nutrition Information:
208 calories, 16 g carbs, 9 g fat, 18 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
adapted from Lick the Bowl Good
betsynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

My DH gets a sandwich, a salad, a wrap, or occasionally, leftovers as his main dish. Sandwiches are usually turkey or ham or both, with lettuce, sometimes cheese, tomatoes and/or pickles depending on what we have. Wraps are similar, though they will often use leftover chicken or turkey from a roasted bird, or chicken tacos or similar.

Then, in addition to the main dish, he gets 1 or 2 pieces of fruit. I buy whatever fruit is on sale, and I usually get 3 or 4 different kinds of whatever that sale fruit is. His lunch today included cut cantaloupe and a bag of grapes. He also gets 2 snacks. Snacks can be any kind of veggie with some dip (so, carrots, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, etc-like the fruit, whatever is on sale), yogurt, cheese and crackers, cheese sticks, or chips and salsa. I also usually throw some sort of breakfast sandwich, bagels and cream cheese or breakfast burrito in there too because he generally won't eat breakfast at home.

This set up is based on a weight loss plan that the doc gave him last year. My DH is gone 12 hours between work time and commute time so this set up is basically all his food for the day except dinner. It doesn't follow the weight loss plan exactly because I am not exactly measuring out the servings, but the basic concept is pretty true. I try to make sure that crackers are whole wheat crackers, but the occasional Ritz does sneak in.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #8
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Not being one to enjoy cold sandwiches, they never make their way into work lunches here. All the ingredients for a bagel sandwich may get packed (individually) and then the toaster gets used to heat the bagel, which is enough to soften the cheese too; self-assembly required. Softshells (plain) and a meat stick, or peanut butter on crackers, or summer sausage and crackers are other protein choices. And we do a lot of dinner leftovers, partially because I don't judge cooking portions well and partially because I prefer dinner leftovers as lunches. If you want more variety than dinner -> lunch the next day, choices that freeze well could be made into a pool in the freezer. Then also fruit such as apple, orange, clementines or grapefruit (>1 if a snack is also needed) and a salad. Or carrot/celery sticks and dip. I use a ton of little containers or bags to keep ingredients having their best flavors and textures. Packing your own beverage is also cheaper, unless there's tasty enough water on-site. Tea or coffee in a good thermos works well, the 24 hour hot/cold vacuum bottles are great and last years for ~$25.

What does your DH like to eat when he's home? That's what I try to pack like, as close to eating at home as possible.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
angbat83
Registered Users

I love sauteed veggies on a pita with hummus when I am over the typical sandwich. Turkey burgers - can make ahead and freeze individually or a few together - are great too.
angbat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #10
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH usually gets tuna with an english muffin or soup. He does salads or soup and salad a lot. With cucumbers, carrots and celery sticks with ranch of hummus for snacks or sides. Fruit and cheese sticks. He will do regular type lettuce salads and specialty salads- we do a homemade Waldorf type salad he likes, a tomato and cuke Italian salad or a tomato/cuke/avocado salad with a homemade vinaigrette. The avocado one is a favorite. We do this a lot too http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pretty-picnic-salad . it keeps in the fridge for several days just can't add the cheese until right before eating. I'll eat that one by itself for lunch sometimes. Dh uses it as a side or snack normally.

The kids like to have olives and red peppers as sides but dh won't eat them.