Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
lowder462
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
newborn carseat?

I own the britax pioneer and advocate carseats. We are expecting number five and im hesitating on buying an infant carseat that comes out of the base or hesitating on just using the britax advocate for newborn. have any of you used a carseat that permanently stays in the car with a newborn. I really don't want to spend extra on another carseat especially since these are pretty new! But ive never had one of these with a newborn and im dreading of having to take baby out of carseat once it gets cold here....any advice would be greatly appreciated! also the three yr old will be using the pioneer since it fits him better.

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Ola_
Registered Users

Re: newborn carseat?

We used a Radian for DD from the start, now baby #2 will be in a Scenera (most likely) till DD outgrows the Radian (just a few more pounds) and then DD will go FF and baby will get the Radian.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

We used a convertible from birth. (Boulevard) Mostly it was fine. The only time I really wished I had an infant seat was at restaurants. When DS was a newborn I was often stuck holding him in my arms while eating. Sometimes we would take the stroller into the restaurant but that wasn't always possible. Once he could set up it was a non issue though!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used a Roundabout 55 last little one and plan to do it again. Love it! I always babywear or hold anyway. We don't eat out that much at nicer type places, so that was a non issue. When we do go out I choose easy eat options (like chicken nuggets or easy to cut like fish instead of hard to cut chicken or steak). I always end up nursing through meal time anyway. lol
Old 04-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
aravae
Registered Users
seller

I mostly babywear, but there were a few times I found it nice to have the seat, even though it was a pita. When I have to go to the doctor by myself (with baby). The doctor needs to examine me, and so it's really inconvenient of there's not a good place to set her down. Especially the chiro. Also, restaurants, and when she's sleeping age nice bonuses, though less of an issue.
aravae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If I was in a warm climate year round I would do a convertible from birth. If I was having a newborn in the late summer or fall or winter--no way would I do a convertible from birth.

Just because you have a bucket seat doesn't meat you HAVE to take it out of the car. From about 8 months till 14 months the bucket stayed in the car 90% of the time.

My last baby was born in September, with older kids we were out and about a lot. I do baby wear but when the weather is in the negative degrees being able to put the baby in her seat, cover with a blanket and go to the car was great.

Last edited by Nerissa; 04-03-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
Kelley76
Registered Users
seller

I think it's doable if you really don't want to spend the money. I would skip the bucket, but DH likes it.
I always end up with the baby on my lap in restaurants. I would get a nice carrier/wrap, and a maybe a narrow stroller for Dr visits, etc...
Kelley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
triplea1019
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could always opt for a cheaper bucket seat (like the Cosco Comfy Carry).
triplea1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #9
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

We really really liked having a bucket, but obviously it isn't a big deal to some. HOWEVER, depending on which generation your Advocate is, it may or may not fit a newborn well. I believe G4 is supposed to fit newborns better, but don't quote me on that -- you're better off asking about that detail in the car-seat.org forums. You may also need to remove the HUGS pads (if you have them) to get the harness to fit a small NB/infant.

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
LauraBelleL
Registered Users
seller

I liked having the bucket, even though I didn't actually take it out of the car all that often. I'm not sure you could use the Advocate with a newborn (with mine you definitely couldn't have, but he was teeny); I second the advice to ask on one of the car seat forums. (I like Car Seats for the Littles).
LauraBelleL is offline   Reply With Quote