Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
AQW
Registered Users
seller

Baby cries after nursing

This is my first breast fed baby. He is 5 weeks old and is never content after nursing. He will eat for a couple minutes and then pull off. So I usually burp him at that point and put him back on. Once he seems not interested in that breast, I switch him and we do the same. Sometimes I switch him back and forth a couple times but he really doesn't nurse much after that. I burp him in between and he is upset so that's why I keep offering. The only time he doesn't do this is at night, he will nurse one side and fall asleep.

He is wetting probably 12 diapers a day and has 2-3 poops a day. Poop is yellow and liquid. He spits up but small volumes, usually just looks like breast milk and runs out his mouth, never projectile and not all the time. I have been giving him grip water 3 times a day and it has really helped him sleep but now I feel like he needs it every feeding. I don't know if that is a good idea, it seems like there should be a way to fix the problem.

He had his tongue clipped at 2 weeks old and his latch improved I think. I had no more nipple pain and they finally healed fully a week ago. Does this sound like gas? Should I give small doses of gripe water when he seems to need it? Is he still hungry? I am getting so frustrated, shouldn't he be happy after nursing? I am holding him all day and he is starting daycare soon and I'm worried how that will work with him being so miserable.

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
BirthdayMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It sounds like it could be reflux. I wouldn't switch him back and forth so much, as that can make it worse. If he pulls off, try putting him back on the same side. Reflux is often caused or made worse by a fast let-down and/or oversupply, both of which can be made worse by switching back and forth between sides. It's much better to fully empty one breast over the course of an hour or so than to keep taking a little bit from each side.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm thinking food sensitivity or allergy. It causes reflux/spitting up as well as watery poops and pulling off from nursing.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby cries after nursing

I don't have any great advice. I might be tempted to look for another tie further back the mouth. Dr jack newman has great videos too you can watch to see babies drinking well and moms using compression to get more fatty milk in them. He might just be colicky too. Is he gaining weight?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQW View Post
This is my first breast fed baby. He is 5 weeks old and is never content after nursing. He will eat for a couple minutes and then pull off. So I usually burp him at that point and put him back on. Once he seems not interested in that breast, I switch him and we do the same. Sometimes I switch him back and forth a couple times but he really doesn't nurse much after that. I burp him in between and he is upset so that's why I keep offering. The only time he doesn't do this is at night, he will nurse one side and fall asleep.
Sorry if I'm being captain obvious, but could he just be full? This sounds exactly like my DS. He'll get mad if I try to keep nursing after he's full...he will latch for a second or two and then start crying when he gets more milk. If he's tired, he'll keep crying because he wants to suck, but doesn't want milk. At night he just pops off on his own and goes back to sleep.

5 weeks is a rough time. Both my babies (both BF) have just been generally cranky at the breast til 12 or so weeks.

Last edited by Teexie; 04-02-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jandb View Post
I'm thinking food sensitivity or allergy. It causes reflux/spitting up as well as watery poops and pulling off from nursing.
Not picking on this poster, but I wholeheartedly disagree. It sounds like OP's baby is spitting up a perfectly normal amount. Poop sounds exactly like a BF baby's poop. And the baby is pulling off after a couple minutes of nursing, which is enough for many. Both mine have only nursed 2-5 minutes. I have a fast letdown and they are efficient nursers. OP's is having an appropriate number of wet and dirty diapers.

I just really hate to see a first time BF mom become worried that there is some kind of issue when things sound quite normal. There are already enough obstacles and misinformation about BF.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
AQW
Registered Users
seller

I think his poo is normal BF poo. And he was evaluated by an LC that is known to be very good with tongue ties, so I think he is ok there.

I don't know about the let down, when I pump it doesn't seem strong compared to my other 2 (who I only nursed for a couple weeks). It doesn't spray out a ton if that makes sense, but I don't really know. I switch him because after awhile he won't take that side anymore but still seems so hungry and is eager to latch. He does use a pacifier but doesn't want at those times. But I do wonder if maybe he is full and just frustrated because he wants the boob and not the milk? He gets really upset though so again it's hard to fight that battle. We spend a lot of time trying to calm him down swaddled up. It's frustrating, I just want to enjoy him.

Since using the gripe water he has been sleeping in the co-sleeper at night and took a four hour nap yesterday! That's why I thought maybe it's just gas?
Old 04-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie
Not picking on this poster, but I wholeheartedly disagree. It sounds like OP's baby is spitting up a perfectly normal amount. Poop sounds exactly like a BF baby's poop. And the baby is pulling off after a couple minutes of nursing, which is enough for many. Both mine have only nursed 2-5 minutes. I have a fast letdown and they are efficient nursers. OP's is having an appropriate number of wet and dirty diapers. I just really hate to see a first time BF mom become worried that there is some kind of issue when things sound quite normal. There are already enough obstacles and misinformation about BF.
I think your comment is fine, but for the record I disagree that normal BF poo is "liquid".
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Re: Baby cries after nursing

I agree. BF poop should not be "liquid". I would go off of dairy for a few days and see if it improves. I did not realize my son was sensitive to dairy until he started pulling off when he was nursing. It was dairy intolerance/reflux. Sounds the same. He also had more liquid poops which cleared up to a thicker consistancy when I went off the dairy. Let me know if it helps! Make sure you give it a minimum of three days, but up to a few weeks to see a complete turn around.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
IowaGold
Registered Users
seller

So what's it supposed to be like? Everything I read about BF poop says its mostly liquid, yellow, with "seeds" or "curds". This has been my experience with both my EBF girls (2 years and 1 month old). Neither had/have any issues (no discomfort after nursing, very little spitting up, no mucous or blood in the stools).
IowaGold is offline   Reply With Quote