Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

Questions for those that do not vax.

I am not antivax, and do not judge those that choose to VAX. It simply is not the right decision for my daughter. So please have respect for my decisions and do not turn my search for info into a debate. Thanks!

I had honestly never thought about VAX and what they could do, but when dd had her shots at 2 months she reacted very poorly (almost had to be hospitalized ). Then at 4 months I let the doc's (against my better judgment) talk me into trying the shots one at a time, and she reacted badly to two of the four.
I never want her to get another VAX again, but DH wants to just wait a couple of years and then see if she still reacts. At least I will have two years to convince him differently. Anyway, all the VAX threads made me realize that soon it will be time for her 6 month visit and I was wondering why I needed to go? If you do not VAX, do you still do well child visits?

I keep seeing where people talk about naturally boosting dc's immune system, could someone please give me info on that?

Are there any moms in Texas that have put there non-VAX children into public school? (home schooling is not an option, as DH and his whole family are all teachers, and would fight me on it 100%)

What does it take to get a medical exemption, or is this basically impossible? DD cried inconsolably for 4 days, and almost had to be hospitalized for dehydration because she could not even calm down to eat. Her doc said this was not a normal reaction, but also did not indicate that she shouldn't receive further VAX. Also, when I asked about reporting the reactions, she said that even if she did, it would not be taken into account because dd had more than one VAX, so there was no way to know which one caused the reaction. This seems to convenient for the VAX company IMO, as the VAX are given on a schedule that calls for multiple shots everytime they are given.

What happens if she gets one of the diseases that are normally vaxed for?

Anything else that you have found helpful or that you need to know would also be appreciated. I want to be able to explain, and defend if need be, my decision for no longer vaxing dd.

Sorry, I didn't mean to write a novel. Thanks in advance for any info you can offer.

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 12:59 AM   #2
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: Questions for those that do not vax.

I know vaxing is one of the most stressful issues in early childhood for a lot of us. I vaxed all my dc except Hannah. She actually had her shots up until two months, and then at her four month checkup I told the dr that we weren't going to be doing any more for now (dr didn't care for that answer, but what's she going to do?).

At this point, I am convinced that we are not going to vax again. Gabe was supposed to have a 2-year Hep B vax, but I also rejected that. Anyway, as for your questions. I'm not sure if Texas has medical, religious and philosophical exemptions, but it has at least the first two. Medical are extremely difficult, if not nearly impossible to get, so I've heard. So you can claim a religious exemption when your dd goes to school.

You can naturally boost the immune system by using echinacea, but that should only be used temporarily. You should also give her a lot of Omega-3, which can be found in some organic meat, organic eggs, purified fish oil, flaxseed, pills, etc.

the serious diseases they vax against (such as polio) have been virtually eradicated in the US, and the only known cases in the past several years were caused by the vax itself. If your dd gets something like whooping cough, or measles or mumps, it is treatable. I have seen many mamas whose babies have gotten these illnesses and recovered just fine.

Oh, and I didn't take Hannah to her 6 month checkup becaues I didn't feel like she needed to go. I am, however, going to take her to a naturopath next week just so I can see how she's doing developmentally and have her weight checked. But it's not absolutely necessary. HTH!
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:28 AM   #3
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Fox isn't vax'd. I always took him up until 18 mos. I figured there are some other reasons for well baby checkups - listen to heart, track growth (he's always been a stringbean at the bottom of "the chart"), development, etc. This is a lot that parents can do too, but its good to get another opinion. I'm sure we are all aware of development and can tell when somethings off, but sometimes we worry too much Its a place to ask questions and get opinions.

The other thing in the back of my mind.....there are some people who consider it abuse to not vax It seems possible about skipping the WBCs someone might be accused of not being concerned about a baby's wellness in general, kwim?

Many of the diseases are treatable. I don't have any specific resources, but you're sure to find a ton over on MDC.

Taking a break to focus on God & family

MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:31 AM   #4
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

TX has a philisophical exemption
http://www.909shot.com/state-site/state-exemptions.htm

Taking a break to focus on God & family

MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:09 AM   #5
aschrimp
Registered Users

Me and dh are having the exact same conflict right now. I was cautious about ds's early vax's, and only did a single vaccine for 2 mos and 4 mos. He was sick for 4 months following the 2 month checkup. I am quite certain that what would have probably been a simple cold ended up as one cold after another, and a severe case of RSV/bronciolitis due to immune supression from his two single vaxes. After the second, when he had started to feel better, so I let them give it, he immediately got very sick again. That's all the "trying again" that I needed.

DH wants to try again when he is a year old, and we are only delaying vaxes right now against his better judgement. I really don't even want to go there again - IMO most of the illnesses that we vax for in this country are just good old bread and butter moneymakers for the pharmaceutical companies - either not terribly serious (MMR, chicken pox), reasonably treatable (diptheria,pertussis,HIB,pneumonoccas), or incredibly rare (polio). Tetanus may be the exception here - but seeing that my non-crawling baby isn't in much danger from rusty nails, I have forgone research on this one for now.

I am not sure how I am going to get dh on my side. I guess I am continuing to work on him, but I only have 3 months left. We were actually just talking about this tonight.

As long as you are breastfeeding (if you are) she will get some immunities from you, so that will help alot with helping to keep her healthy. I myself get regular chiropractic care, and ds goes along with me and gets checked and gently adjusted when needed (they do just pressure points for babies). That is also supposed to help keep his immune system healthy. I know I get sick alot less since I started seeing the chiropractor regularly.

I have continued to go to well baby checks (actually have his 9 mo check on Wed), but ds has other health issues that the drs have been following at those checks. I still would probably go even if he didn't - IMO, it's good to have a good relationship with a pediatrician on the off chance that your child does get sick enough to need one.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:31 AM   #6
happymomma
Registered Users

I vax all my dc because I feel the benefits out weight the risks of not getting them. I have looked at so much info about weather or not to have it done. One momma said serious diseases have virtually been eradicated in the US, and she's right, but only because of children getting vax and if we take those away all these diseases will start popping up and be harder to get rid of.
My mom told me when she was little and in school so many children were getting sick from polio and dying that when the vax came out her mom waited in line for 6 hours so her children could get the vax. Other diseases were going around that are treatable (measles,wooping cough, ect) but they can also be very deadly. My mom lost a best friend to wooping cough and her baby brother got measles and died at 6 mouths old. So I do it to be save and not sorry later, kwim? I'm not putting anyone down for not vaxing so don't get mad at me, just giving you the reasons that I do vax. Oh, and I do agree that some of the vax are "moneymakers" like chickenpox for example.
happymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:10 AM   #7
cam&kat's_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first was fully vax (up till now) because I didnt' know any better. I blindly trusted my dr and jsut did what they said. I never even knew there was a choice. So when my second had a bad reaction I started researching. And foudn out it wasnt' somthign that i wanted to continue wiht. For us teh benefits did not outweigh teh risks, or even coem close. We have a friend that lost a little boy to a MMR reaction..... that's a risk I'm not willing to take.
If you search around and also chcek the CDC webpage for graphs it will show you where each disease they vaccinate against stands as far as activity level. And when they really statted to drop off. Peopel would have you believe that they dropped off after teh vaccines were intorduced and they saved us all from horor. That really isn't true. The graphs clearly show that these diseases were on teh decline before teh vaccine was ever invented (for each certain disease). Most reduction in disease can be contributed to the fact that society has cleaned up. We have plumbing. We don't put feces out in teh street for people to be exposed to. We are a far more hygenic society than we were several years ago. And cleanliness is the main reason disease liek these goes away. (NOT sayign that a person gets chicken pos or polio cause they dont' bathe!) Simply stating tha twe aren't living in with animals and aren't in the filthy state the country was before plumbing was readily available, and clean drinking water.
AS far as school, I think someone above posted an exemption link for you. All 50 states have a medical exemption for vaccinating. Basically if your child has had a bad reaction or is allergic to the ingredients in the shot. (from how it was explained to us by the board of health) A religious exemption is availabel in all but 2 states. Basically you state that your religious beliefs do not allow you to vaccinate. You do not have to inform them of your religion or prove where thsi belief exists in your religion. (As also told to us by health dept) and 16 states have an ethical exemption. These states are basically allowing anyoen that finds it unethical or against their ethical beliefs (meaning that you dont' have to be religious in any sense) to vaccinate a child. You just fill out a few simple lines on a form and submit it to schools and daycares if you ever have to. (liek for school entrance and daycare enrollment) My only word of caution is tha tprivate schools and daycares DO NOT have to allow your child to enter even with these exemptions. (Not sure abotu the medical though) Mostly because they are privately funded and not funded through the state/federal govt. hereofre they can make theor own rules. (However, they have to collect vaccination records and exemptions form everyone (if they allow exemptions) since they are still sort of regulated.. (if that makes sense.
Sorry that got long. Good luck
cam&kat's_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:15 AM   #8
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Vaxing is such a personal decision. I vaxed my 2 year old because I let the doctors bully me into vaxing him. In fact I even mentioned can't this that or this happen from vaxes. But I was so young. Well I am still young but I am now standing my ground w/ my 3 month DD. We will not vax her IMO it's just not worth it. I even had to switch doctors because I knew my previous pedi would pressure me so I found one that gave you the option. I will take my DD to her 4 month check up becaues like the PP said her development and weight and what not need to be checked. For a while I said I wasn't going to but I am the type of mom that needs to know she's gaining wait especially sinces shes BF. I'm surprised I haven't bought a scale to put her on.

If what happened to your DC happened to my 2 year old I would never vax him again. Your DC had a reaction to a vax and infact when I was talking to my new pedi about wether or not to vax he told me one of the side effects of the DTP vax is a high pitch cry like they have had some neurlogical reaction. He says he gets this every few years and always reports it. Kind of sounds like what your DC had. He also says when this happens he will not give the DTP vax anymore to that child ever.

to you because I know this can be such a hard decision.
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:44 AM   #9
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

There are numerous homeopathic remedies you can take if you were to contract or come into contact with or even HEAR of a disease in your area, that will keep you from contracting or getting it worse and WILL cure you of it. It's all natural and works WITH your body and not against it.

Also, I have seen quite a few people saying that polio is erraditated! It is NOT!!! The name has been changed since we were kids and it's not as rare as people are thinking so be aware of it parents! I talked to my kids doc and asked; she told me that the name has been changed to Spinal Menengitis, keep that in mind as kids who have been vax'd with the polio vax are still getting this disease! Straight from a doc
Old 06-20-2006, 06:51 AM   #10
Kele
Registered Users

My Mood:

Dh is anti-vax, but I feel like I have to keep getting them since I already started. I have opted out of the chicken pox and I know my ped would have a FIT if I quit vaxing and I don't know if there's somewhere else I can go (kids have medicaid). I am scared not to vax - even though my oldest is autistic (we won't debate that here and now).
I just don't know how to quit and not be so scared.