Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAsh
Awesome deal! I question Safety 1st also after the one I had suddenly in the middle of vacation malfunctioned in the belt some how. My DH tightened up the straps then when he pulled it to check it, it just pulled out to the end of the strap with little to no effort. Dh always checks the straps the same way and it had never done that before. We were on the road and happened to be at Walmart, so we bought a nati and through the old seat in the dumpster (I kept the straps and tossed them at home). It was a hard situation to be in.
I have seen a video on a mama showing this defect

Advertisement

Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #12
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Returned my 5 year old nautilus at babies r us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post
I have seen a video on a mama showing this defect
It FREAKED me out to say the least!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #13
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We bought the same safety 1st seat for our newbie.
I'll be taking it to BRU for the 20% off a new seat & getting the Chicco Nextfit.
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:12 AM   #14
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hum Bums
We bought the same safety 1st seat for our newbie. I'll be taking it to BRU for the 20% off a new seat & getting the Chicco Nextfit.
i brought it to a car seat inspection station yesterday and met with a certified tech and I mentioned that someone told me they were in an accident and the side without impact was where the saftey first seat was and it was cracked. I told her I was concerned because I recently purchased 2 more seats (so, 3 of my precious kids will be riding in the same car seat) and I wanted to know now while I could still return them if I purchased an unsafe seat. First of all she told me they do not sell "unsafe" car seats nowadays, recalls pop up and resolutions to fix small problems are made but it's not like years and years ago when there were not standards that were required to be met in order to put a seat on the market here in the US. She said that the guide 65 meets and exceeds federal safety standards and very strict crash testings, she pulled up a good amount of information on my particular seat, pages worth, and that alone made me feel better. The only "negative" about the guide 65 that she told me was that it isn't as user friendly or easy to install especially rear facing as other seats, but that's not something I've ran into. She stressed the importance of proper car seat install and harness placement and fit, and said those factors are what is most important, making sure you do all that properly is the difference between a safe vs. unsafe car seat and thankfully all my seats in my car were properly installed and I did have my littlest with me and I got an a+ securing her into her seat. The final thing that made me personally fine with my decision to have 3 of my kids using this seat was a picture she showed me of a britax car seat that was in a car crash and it had a cracks in the plastic, she said she uses it to stress the importance of replacing car seats after any kind of crash because cracks of any kind form after even more minor crashes, but for me seeing that a britax car seat of all brands is capable of getting a crack in it after a crash makes me feel like its something that happens during a crash and it doesn't mean the car seat is unsafe. I have been sick to my stomach after the previous poster above shared her story about her guide 65 being cracked in half, and while if that happened to me I'd likely not be able to use whatever brand car seat it happened to but I also wouldn't label whatever car seat it happened to as an unsafe car seat now knowing what I know from someone who is a professional about this stuff. Deirdre~ Wife to Joe & Momma to Emily, Lilly, Joseph, Maggie & Daisy who is due in August!

Last edited by mommadeeof4+; 04-05-2014 at 05:13 AM.
mommadeeof4+ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:20 AM   #15
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
you are right, I'm sure your car seat is perfectly safe and there are many people who have had great experiences with it and had it held up well in a crash. Glad you got some reassurance!
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #16
Ola_
Registered Users

Re: Returned my 5 year old nautilus at babies r us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommadeeof4+ View Post
First of all she told me they do not sell "unsafe" car seats nowadays, recalls pop up and resolutions to fix small problems are made but it's not like years and years ago when there were not standards that were required to be met in order to put a seat on the market here in the US. She said that the guide 65 meets and exceeds federal safety standards and very strict crash testings, she pulled up a good amount of information on my particular seat, pages worth, and that alone made me feel better. The only "negative" about the guide 65 that she told me was that it isn't as user friendly or easy to install especially rear facing as other seats, but that's not something I've ran into.
This is true, and it is true of all car seats no matter the price. The federal certification system is pass/fail so the seat has to pass in order to be allowed to be sold in stores, there are no ratings as a result of the testing. And as long as you use the seat correctly and it fits your baby well you are getting all the benefits that those crash tests are meant to ensure.

That said, there are different features between the seats that some people feel add to the safety and they are not available on all the seats but rather vary between brands. And I don't necessarily believe that price is the most important thing either cause some expensive seats are known to be tricky to install or not last as long while some inexpensive seats excel in those areas.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #17
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommadeeof4+
i brought it to a car seat inspection station yesterday and met with a certified tech and I mentioned that someone told me they were in an accident and the side without impact was where the saftey first seat was and it was cracked. I told her I was concerned because I recently purchased 2 more seats (so, 3 of my precious kids will be riding in the same car seat) and I wanted to know now while I could still return them if I purchased an unsafe seat. First of all she told me they do not sell "unsafe" car seats nowadays, recalls pop up and resolutions to fix small problems are made but it's not like years and years ago when there were not standards that were required to be met in order to put a seat on the market here in the US. She said that the guide 65 meets and exceeds federal safety standards and very strict crash testings, she pulled up a good amount of information on my particular seat, pages worth, and that alone made me feel better. The only "negative" about the guide 65 that she told me was that it isn't as user friendly or easy to install especially rear facing as other seats, but that's not something I've ran into. She stressed the importance of proper car seat install and harness placement and fit, and said those factors are what is most important, making sure you do all that properly is the difference between a safe vs. unsafe car seat and thankfully all my seats in my car were properly installed and I did have my littlest with me and I got an a+ securing her into her seat. The final thing that made me personally fine with my decision to have 3 of my kids using this seat was a picture she showed me of a britax car seat that was in a car crash and it had a cracks in the plastic, she said she uses it to stress the importance of replacing car seats after any kind of crash because cracks of any kind form after even more minor crashes, but for me seeing that a britax car seat of all brands is capable of getting a crack in it after a crash makes me feel like its something that happens during a crash and it doesn't mean the car seat is unsafe. I have been sick to my stomach after the previous poster above shared her story about her guide 65 being cracked in half, and while if that happened to me I'd likely not be able to use whatever brand car seat it happened to but I also wouldn't label whatever car seat it happened to as an unsafe car seat now knowing what I know from someone who is a professional about this stuff. Deirdre~ Wife to Joe & Momma to Emily, Lilly, Joseph, Maggie & Daisy who is due in August!
Not really sure why you quoted me directly? I wasn't the one that said the seat had problems.
Just that from what other people said, I'd be replacing mine.
I can't get a good install with the angle of my seats. I can get the 20+ pounds RFing install just fine but can't get it at the right angle for an infant and all the seats are squished in there. I was pretty annoyed that the seat was not the same dimensions as described in the site I bought it from
Anyways, what other posters said was the cherry in top of a few other issues I've had with it. We've been using it for my 2 y/o RFing for a bit.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #18
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Not really sure why you quoted me directly? I wasn't the one that said the seat had problems. Just that from what other people said, I'd be replacing mine. I can't get a good install with the angle of my seats. I can get the 20+ pounds RFing install just fine but can't get it at the right angle for an infant and all the seats are squished in there. I was pretty annoyed that the seat was not the same dimensions as described in the site I bought it from Anyways, what other posters said was the cherry in top of a few other issues I've had with it. We've been using it for my 2 y/o RFing for a bit.
Obviously I know you didn't say anything negative about the seat lol I quoted exactly what you said. I just thought maybe it was information that would help your decision, Figuring maybe it would ease your mind a bit. I didn't realize you didn't like the seat in general, I thought the story about it being cracked in half was what was pushing you to return it, since that was the case with me.

Deirdre~ Wife to Joe & Momma to Emily, Lilly, Joseph, Maggie & Daisy who is due in August!
Old 04-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #19
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommadeeof4+
Obviously I know you didn't say anything negative about the seat lol I quoted exactly what you said. I just thought maybe it was information that would help your decision, Figuring maybe it would ease your mind a bit. I didn't realize you didn't like the seat in general, I thought the story about it being cracked in half was what was pushing you to return it, since that was the case with me. Deirdre~ Wife to Joe & Momma to Emily, Lilly, Joseph, Maggie & Daisy who is due in August!
I'm actually outside the return window for mine. I'd just use it as a trade in at BRU for the 20% off a new seat.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #20
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
I'm actually outside the return window for mine. I'd just use it as a trade in at BRU for the 20% off a new seat.
theres a friend and family coupon with very little exclusions (might not exclude the car seat you want), i found it on retail me not and it takes 20% off in store or online and I think it ends today! You could always sell your car seat for a little cash on Craigslist or something, since it's not expired...when I traded in an expired seat A few months ago I wasnt impressed with the coupon, a lot of things/brands/sale items were excluded! Just a thought Deirdre~ Wife to Joe & Momma to Emily, Lilly, Joseph, Maggie & Daisy who is due in August!