Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
The*Fab*Four
Mama behind Jem*Jam Customs!
Formerly: Jem*Jam Customs
seller
seller

My Mood:
Mamas of 34 weekers

What were the circumstances of your early delivery?
How big was you baby?
Did you baby spend any time in the NICU?

Background ~ I bleed from 5w-11w and at 13w they discovered I had a Placenta Previa.

At 25w2d I started bleeding again. I was sent to my hospital to be monitored and 24hrs later was transferred to an other hospital with a Level 3 NICU. I was given steroid shots on that Wed/Thurs {25w2d, 25w3d}

The night of transfer, I was given an MRI and they discovered that my Previa became a Percreta......the placenta grew through the uterus and attached to my bladder.

I was told baby would be delivered between 32 & 34w or sooner if I bled again.

Right now we are aiming for May 12th, which is 34w exactly. I have prepared for the worst, but would like to hear other's stories.

Thanks!!

Advertisement

J{4.04}, J{11.05}, J {8.09}, J {3.11}
Sweet Baby Girl J will arrive the week of May 12th {34w} due to a Placenta Percreta.
The*Fab*Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
Belle1002
Registered Users

My Mood:
My twins were 4lb 2oz and 4lb 5oz, born at 34 weeks. The doctors were unable to control birthmom's blood pressure even after a week of bedrest in the hospital (there were many factors involved). Both spent 21 days in NICU but the doctors admitted they would have been discharged sooner if we weren't traveling so far to get them home. Both had trouble regulating their temperature and just needed time to get stronger, but DS had some apnea early on and needed a temporary feeding tube. We were warned to expect lots of developmental delays but they are almost 4 now and completely on target.
All babies are different. 32-34 weekers seem to vary widely in terms of NICU stay and ongoing issues related to prematurity. Good luck mama!

Loving life with our very energetic 2 year old b/g twins!
Belle1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mamas of 34 weekers

I've had 4 preemies, born at 35, 34, 32, and 31 weeks.

My 35 weeker was born due to preterm labor and a partial placental abruption. He was 7 lb even and roomed in with me. I did not have steroid shots with him. We both came home 3 days later. He had feeding issues, speech delays, and sensory issues in his early years and has been diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum, however he is now 8 and doing very well.

My 34 weeker was born due to preterm labor (admitted at 33 weeks, delivered at 34 weeks 1 day). I was given steroid shots at 33 weeks with her, and she did remarkably well. She was 5 lb 9 oz, and she was taken to NICU for observation (per hospital protocol), however she came home 72 hours later because they had no reason to keep her. She is now a fiesty 7 yo and and never had any issues related to prematurity.

My 32 weeker (32w1d) was ultimately delivered due to a partial placental abruption, however I battled preterm labor with his pregnancy and was admitted at 24 weeks. I spent 8 weeks on hospital bedrest and magnesium sulfate. I received steroids with him, I think around 25 weeks. He was 4 lb 2 oz and spent 36 days in NICU. We had a rough road with him, he had a lot of respiratory issues, developmental delays, feeding issues, speech delay, sensory issues, numerous hospitalizations, and a diagnosis of cerebral palsy.. however he is now 5 and he's doing fabulous. You'd never guess he had so many struggles as an infant.

My 31 weeker (31w6d) was delivered by emergency c-section due to placental abruption.. I ended up with a complete abruption, so he had a super scary, very precarious start. I was admitted at 21 weeks and spent 10.5 weeks on hospital bedrest and magnesium sulfate (due to preterm labor). He was 3 lb 7 oz, and spent 60 days in NICU. Most of his issues though likely stemmed from his birth (he lost over half his blood volume, and required 13 1/2 min of CPR and several blood transfusions.. he was born with no heartrate or respiration). We were told he had brain damage, but today he is a healthy 3 1/2 yo. He's had some mild developmental delays/speech delays/feeding issues but he's caught up quite well and I don't anticipate any lasting effects of his prematurity.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Ima_to_6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My twins were born at 34 weeks after PTL at 25 weeks (contrax. every 2 minutes and dilated to 2cm). I was given 2 rounds of steroids and was on hosp. bedrest for 3 weeks, then the remainder of pregnancy at home bedrest.

They were 5lb2oz and 5lb8oz at birth and spent 5 days in NICU before being transferred to a Special Care Nursery in a hosp. closer to our home. One came home on day 7, the other on day 14. They did not need any assistance with breathing or temp. regulation; they only needed to get their feedings in order before we could go home.

Good luck, mama!
Old 04-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
munroe
Registered Users

I had pre-e suddenly and severely, so my midwife gave baby the boot at 34 weeks exactly, no time for steroid shots, no time for induction. He was 4.5 lbs at birth. He was on CPAP for a couple days, but transitioned to room air quickly. He had jaundice, but by 14 days he was off that. He had trouble coordinating breathing with eating and sleeping, but was otherwise healthy. He received a caffeine shot to help get things coordinated. He couldn't suck at first, so nursing was awful, and never happened in the end. At one point he was having so much trouble eating as much as one nurse wanted him to eat that I requested a feeding tube be put in so he could just relax. That helped. He was there almost seven weeks.

It felt like a really long time, but in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't. Nothing anybody could tell me about their happy, healthy, grown up preemies could allay my worry and distress. But every baby is different. Ask lots of questions, try to be there for the doctor's rounds, make good friends with the nurses (NICU nurses are amazing human beings), and you will get through this. Also, early intervention was a huge help to us in his first year, sorting through what was a delay and what wasn't, and giving us lots of support to help him start to catch up.

Good luck to you!
munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
munroe
Registered Users

I was thinking about this last night and wanted to add - there is no one right way to do this. If you need to sleep there and be with the baby 24-7, then do what you need. If you need to go home and take care of the other kids and can only be in the NICU for a few hours every morning, then do it that way. You are the parent, and you know how much you can trust your kids' caretakers, and you know what the rest of your family needs.

It is okay to go home every night and sleep in your own bed. It is okay to stay there every night holding your baby. It is okay to do a little of both.

From your sig, it looks like you're BTDT with motherhood, so you know, but this was my first, so I needed people to tell me it was okay.
munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
MrsMartin2013
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Any updates? I wanted to let you know my twins were born at 34 weeks and were very healthy. They were 5.8 and 5.4 and left the hospital after 6 days with no NICU time. They are now 3 weeks old and you would never guess they were preemies. Both babies are over 6lbs now and look quite chubby. I do not have many photos on my tablet, but here are two recent ones I have. The first one is Mabry (she was our surprise so we do not have tons of girly clothes, but that is indeed my daughter) Second is Benning. They are 3 weeks and doing great and gaining weight like crazy.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
MrsMartin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I just had a 34w3d preemie on April 26th. I had placenta previa, so was going to have a c-section at 37 weeks, but suddenly got preeclampsia at 34 weeks. I had been in the hospital with high blood pressure on Monday and they did the steroid shots then and sent me home on blood pressure meds on Wednesday. The meds quit working by Friday, so I came back. Then I started having vision issues and headaches. They gave me more blood pressure meds and magnesium overnight and delivered him Saturday morning. He is now 9 days old and we are still at the hospital. He needed the c pap for less than a day and oxygen for another day or so. Now he's just working on feeding. He had one set back when they started the fortification in the breast milk. He threw it all up so they discontinued that. Now two days later they are going to try a different kind of fortification that I believe is only extra calories. He was 4-13 at birth, got down to 4-7, and is now at 4-10 gaining about an ounce a day.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by munroe
I was thinking about this last night and wanted to add - there is no one right way to do this. If you need to sleep there and be with the baby 24-7, then do what you need. If you need to go home and take care of the other kids and can only be in the NICU for a few hours every morning, then do it that way. You are the parent, and you know how much you can trust your kids' caretakers, and you know what the rest of your family needs. It is okay to go home every night and sleep in your own bed. It is okay to stay there every night holding your baby. It is okay to do a little of both. From your sig, it looks like you're BTDT with motherhood, so you know, but this was my first, so I needed people to tell me it was okay.
I really appreciated this comment. As a preemie mama of 4 I struggled with finding the balance between being with my NICU baby and still being there for my children at home. My older kids were still very young (1 & 2 when #3 was in NICU) and 4, 3, & 1 when #4 was in NICU.. To complicate things, my older kids had already been separated from me for 2+ months prior to delivery due to extended hospital bedrest.

Having a sick baby in NICU an hour away was hard.. I wanted to be by their side, but my other kids needed me too. What I ended up doing for the most part was caring for my older kids during the day, and then spending time in the NICU late at night after the kids were in bed. It meant I was seriously lacking sleep since I usually got home about 3 am only to be up by 6 with my other kids, but it was the best I could do in my situation and it's taken a loooong time to let go of the guilt and accept that I did my best in my situation.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
MrsMartin2013
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mommyfrog, how scary! I am so glad baby was okay! I hope yall are able to go home soon. I will be praying for yall!
MrsMartin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote