Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Which "cheaper" stand mixer should I buy?

I bought and returned a Kitchenaid from Costco. It annoyed me for many reasons. And in the end, I just felt for my needs it was overkill. And although my friend swears by her Bosch, I can't spend $400 on one with a plastic bowl, then another $160 for the stainless bowl- ACK! (I hate plastic.)

I make muffins, gf bread but not every day, cookies, meatloaf, etc.

I think one would be helpful because I like to make bread or muffins when I am already doing something else in the kitchen- meal prep, dishes, or homeschooling. I might get interrupted 12 times while mixing up bread which is really frustrating. It is enough that I often just grab Udi's from Costco even though I really prefer my own.

I know I want a metal body. I saw a Sunbeam Mixmaster at Walmart and it is all plastic and feels really cheap. But Sunbeam Heritage, 350 watts, is all die-cast metal (the body, anyway) and the black is only $99 right now on Amazon.

However, the Hamilton Beach die-cast metal is more powerful- 400 watts- and supposedly was a Consumer Reports best buy. It is $150 in white on Amazon.

Even if one of these only lasts a few years, it will be a good test to see if I will actually use one as much as I think.

Thoughts???

Advertisement

momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have a Kitchenaid (also from Costco) and I have enjoyed having it :-) I use it several times a week. What didn't you like about it? We went grain free shortly after getting it, but I did make some yeast breads with it before that. There were a few bread recipes it wasn't quite powerful enough to knead the dough properly...or at least it seemed that way to me. Aside from that it has been great and served me well. I'm not sure because I haven't used another mixer, but I would wonder if a cheaper mixer would have similar or worse difficulties with bread dough.

Last edited by juliasmom; 04-07-2014 at 08:43 AM.
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Which "cheaper" stand mixer should I buy?

I hated how hard it was to add ingredients while the machine was on. The 2 I mentioned do not have that problem. Also, I didn't care for the bowl lift-up. I want a lift-up head. Also, in terms of performance, these 2 were rated about the same by Consumer Reports, so I don't see spending 3x as much on a KitchenAid.

PLUS, KitchenAid has become such a shoddy company I'd rather not support them. I've called them a couple times over other items and was shocked at how BAD their customer service is. Granted, buying from Costco bypasses that problem! I've had stellar experiences with Sunbeam, and Consumer Reports was so glowing over the Hamilton Beach.

Before we went totally GF I was making Kamut and Spelt bread, but now I use Namaste GF flour for sandwich bread and the dough is VERY wet, so I don't think it will strain the mixer like the heavier Spelt/ Kamut dough did.

I have a lot of other shopping to do in the next couple months, so I'd rather spend $100 (Sunbeam) or $149 (Hamilton Beach), versus $329 on the KitchenAid.

Does that make sense?

I was just hoping to get some feedback on here about either of these 2 cheaper mixers, since I trust the mamas on DS!

Last edited by momomom; 04-07-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
MrsMartin2013
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kitchen aid has the lift up head and it is very easy to add ingredients to. Maybe it is a different model? With that said, I have a some really great sunbeam products.
MrsMartin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
MrsMartin2013
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

But I got my mixer for black friday for 100 two years ago. I do not think I would pay 350 for it! I would try the sunbeam one, if it were me.
MrsMartin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had a sunbeam that I liked well enough. I traded "up" for a KitchenAid because I could not resist a couponing deal, but I'm not as impressed as I had hoped.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a sunbeam mixmaster heritage. I like it well enough. But I don't use it enough to justify the cost of a Kitchen aid. I probably did back when I was a SAHM, but then I didn't have the money to buy a Kitchen aid. I got a Hamilton beach for a wedding gift and the motor burnt out the first time I made cream cheese mints. I was not happy. My little hand mixer got me through until my MIL bought me the Sunbeam for a Christmas gift.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho View Post
I have a sunbeam mixmaster heritage. I like it well enough. But I don't use it enough to justify the cost of a Kitchen aid. I probably did back when I was a SAHM, but then I didn't have the money to buy a Kitchen aid. I got a Hamilton beach for a wedding gift and the motor burnt out the first time I made cream cheese mints. I was not happy. My little hand mixer got me through until my MIL bought me the Sunbeam for a Christmas gift.
So you like your Sunbeam, Kocho? I was wondering about the beaters. They are chrome and not stainless, and some reviews said they rusted. I was wary because of that. It only has 2 attachments.

The new 400 watt "Eclectrics" model from Hamilton Beach is the one that has been getting the great reviews, including Consumer Reports. All its attachments are dishwasher safe. It has 3 attachments.

The sunbeam is about $100 right now and the HB is about $150.

I love the tangerine color of the Sunbeam, but the HB is looking like the best choice.

Still trying to decide!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomom
So you like your Sunbeam, Kocho? I was wondering about the beaters. They are chrome and not stainless, and some reviews said they rusted. I was wary because of that. It only has 2 attachments. The new 400 watt "Eclectrics" model from Hamilton Beach is the one that has been getting the great reviews, including Consumer Reports. All its attachments are dishwasher safe. It has 3 attachments. The sunbeam is about $100 right now and the HB is about $150. I love the tangerine color of the Sunbeam, but the HB is looking like the best choice. Still trying to decide!
Re the rusting, this happened with my sunbeam hand mixer. Customer service sent me new beaters for free with no problems.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #10
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jandb View Post
Re the rusting, this happened with my sunbeam hand mixer. Customer service sent me new beaters for free with no problems.
Awesome! Great to know- thank you.