Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Got a disturbing e-mail about alcohol poisoning from hand sanitiser? True or False?

I just got an e-mail from a friend about a child that was 4 and got alcohol poisoning from hand sanitiser. The little girl licked it off her hands b/c it smelled like fruit. She was rushed to the ER and it was later determined that she had massive alcohol poisoning. I'm wondering if this could really happen. I know sometimes these mass e-mails go out and they are not always true. The e-mail said 3 squirts (ingested) could kill a toddler. This freaked me out so I thought I'd ask. Here is the web site that was also included in the e-mail. http://www.snopes.com:80/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp I'm also wondering about the validity of it as well. This really scares me. thanks

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Got a disturbing e-mail about alcohol poisoning from hand sanitiser? True or Fals

Yes it is true, There were many warnings sent home from school this year because high school students were "drinking" the sanitizer, which is more potent than most alcohols we would even consider drinking. They get a alcohol buzz and many of them were legally drunk after drinking it, however I am not sure how much of it caused that state, but I do know they were stealing the small bottles (1-2oz) from several area stores.

Hope that helps
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Dawnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Got a disturbing e-mail about alcohol poisoning from hand sanitiser? True or Fals

I don't know if your email specifically was true, but the theory behind it is. The active ingredient in hand sanitizers is alcohol. That's what makes it work. Hand sanitizer shouldn't be applied to little ones who don't comprehend that just because something that smells yummy doesn't mean it should be eaten. Soap and water on a washcloth are just as effective and far safer for little ones.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ditto. The story may or may not be. But yes, hand sanitizer is very dangerous to little ones.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So would you say it's ok to put it on my toddlers hand if I rub it in?
Old 05-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
wimama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I bought something called Hands-to-go at Babies-R-Us. It doesn't have alcohol in it.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
orteggleston
Registered Users
seller
seller

There have been a couple threads regarding this issue...all with some interesting info and links

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ight=sanitizer

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ight=sanitizer

Drfinitely one of those things to keep an eye on

ISO: Luxe Baby Wool
orteggleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

It is true! We get warnings about this from our pediatrician and schools. the story in the email is true too.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/med..._sanitizer.htm

http://www.knbc.com/health/13412322/detail.html

http://marloelaine.com/2007/05/24/ha...idden-dangers/
Old 05-31-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
LeighaGrace
Registered Users

I believe it. Those products dry my hands to the point of skin peeling. So much easier to just wash my hands. Even when it's not convenient. I take a bit of soapy water in a container for times like that. I usually rinse with my bottle of water.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:18 PM   #10
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought this was weird, the sponsers on the bottom of this page are all handsanitizers...lol

Anyway, this freaks me out! I use sanitizer on my dd's hands when we are out and about, she never licks them and as soon as we get to a place, I wash her hands but still...I guess I'll have to do something else....ugh I wish they'd put warnings on the things about this...mine doesn't have anything like that
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote