Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

Re: Got a disturbing e-mail about alcohol poisoning from hand sanitiser? True or Fals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsiemomma View Post
I thought this was weird, the sponsers on the bottom of this page are all handsanitizers...lol

Anyway, this freaks me out! I use sanitizer on my dd's hands when we are out and about, she never licks them and as soon as we get to a place, I wash her hands but still...I guess I'll have to do something else....ugh I wish they'd put warnings on the things about this...mine doesn't have anything like that
hands2go.com sells non alcohol sanitizers.

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
YummyYarnAddict
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Got a disturbing e-mail about alcohol poisoning from hand sanitiser? True or Fals

I asked my ped about this on Tuesday since I had to take both the kids in and he said that hand sanitizers like Purell are 124 proof IF consumed straight. That's why it's important for us to teach our kids how to use it correctly. The problems are seen when they're abused (intentionally) by tweens and teens to get a high or when kids use them unsupervised in school settings and lick them off their hands without rubbing them in. Also, kids get them from the big bottles with the pump so they get this huge glob of sanitizer on their hand at once at school and we mamas aren't giving it to them like that at home and at the park and stuff. I know that I carry these little .5 - 1 oz bottle and give my dd a little drop of it at a time and wait until she's rubbed it all in before deciding if she needs a bit more.

The ped said that if kids are going to be unsupervised, that they should be taught to only get half a pump-full and maybe we should practice with them to not push the pump all the way down (now that's tough!!) and then to either wipe off the excess or share it with a classmate. Then, they should rub it into their hands very well and then wave their hands around while the alcohol smell dissipates until their hands are dry. That way there's no sanitizer left on their hands for them to lick off. Teachers, assistants and other schools staff should be instructed as to the proper use of hand sanitizers for kids and follow up to make sure that proper procedures are being followed.

Of course, failing all of this, they should use the hand sanitizing wipes which cost a bit more ... or just give our kids passes to wash their hands at the sink in the rest rooms like they used to do in the olden days.
YummyYarnAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #13
Dawnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is chemical left on the hands even after the alcohol evaporates though. I found this out the hard way one night at work when even though I had washed my hands I hand sanitizered up before heading to the cafeteria for bbq wings. I licked my thumb and yuk!!! Give it a try sometimes. The stuff we have hanging on the wall in every room of the hospital might be different than purell though. It was so nasty!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:23 PM   #14
This-End-Up.com
Registered Users

We dont' do hand sanitizers anyway...
from what i read...

we have littlier/wimpier germs on our hands and bigger/stronger ones...
and that stuff does kill off the littlier/wimpier ones...but it does not kill off the bigger/stronger ones...and those bigger stronger ones are the ones that would be more likely to make you ill and whatnot.

so we just skip the hand sanitizer routine.

plus DS#1 is so sensitive to skin stuff...that stuff about does his skin in.

~denise
This-End-Up.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:29 PM   #15
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My MIL is a teacher and I asked her about this and she said they use this stuff at the school ALL the time.

I actually just bought some for the first time. I will use it, but only when hand washing is not available. And I will explain it as well as I can to my children.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote