Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #21
AddysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have problems with Charlie's soap?

oh thats so sad! i am so sorry you ladies and your babes had to go through that!
i had only ever heard of liquid users getting the rashes.
how terrible.
i wonder what it is. cause it washes out totally, so i wonder if its a PH thing, or a skin sensitivity.. or an allergy to something in the detergent itself..
i do know that if we dont use really hot water like HOT water then i will use tto or GSE to give germies a kick in the butt. and thats on things like socks, towels, etc. things that DO aquire germs.
clothing is jsut warm or cold.
i am starting to think the rashes are from the PH in the diapers and in the individual childs urine. and not a bacterial thing, or anything else.
oh jeez i just get ill inside when i hear about poor bebes in pain like that.

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #22
DwellMama
Dwell Wool Knits
Formerly: mumtotwoboys
seller

My Mood:
Question Re: Anyone have problems with Charlie's soap?

Hmmm, well now I'm all freaked out after reading about the problems including with using powdered Charlies. That's what we use, as was recommended by Green Mountain Diapers. Did those of you whose baby's had rashed have it happen immediately or did it occur after using it over time?
Old 06-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #23
AddysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think if you use it and havent seen any reactions in your babe. then its fine to continue using.
we use Charlies for everything, like i said before, and have NEVER had a reaction at all. ever.
and like i said before, its the ONLY detergent we can use, cause its the only thing that doesnt hurt mine or DDs eczema.
so, if you havent had a reaction so far, i wouldnt worry. we havent in the year+ we have been using it for everything.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:01 PM   #24
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtotwoboys View Post
Hmmm, well now I'm all freaked out after reading about the problems including with using powdered Charlies. That's what we use, as was recommended by Green Mountain Diapers. Did those of you whose baby's had rashed have it happen immediately or did it occur after using it over time?
brighton was ok initially....just a bit pink but nothing that was a big deal....then i used a dipe overnight that had been washed in it and BAM! it took a couple days for me to figure it out. stripped everything and stopped using it. then he was fine again...till i had gotten that fsot diaper...blerg....now i'm just careful about FSOT dipes and ask

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #25
HappyHeinys
Registered Users

Sadly I see that they changed their washing instructions. The owner specifically stated that Charlies is not strong enough to get rid of the bacteria in the diapers and that you need to use bleach with their soap to clean the diapers. This was added to their site for a while but I just double checked and it has been removed.
I do have emails from him specifically stating that the soap needs bleach to be added in order to properly clean diapers.

Those parents whose children have had these burns have been made to feel as though they, the parents have not properly followed directions when using these soaps that cause the burns. The burns are caused by the soaps NOT completely cleaning the diapers. It is very sad to see that this company has removed their very own warning regarding the need for bleach.
Stating that the diaper is residue free gives all parents a false sense of security when it comes to the use of this soap and the soap is the last thing that they look at when trying to resolve the burn issue.

This is not a typical allergic rash but instead a burn with blistering that leads to scarring on the kids genital area. It happens with both liquid and powder. Sometimes it takes 1 wash and other times it can take several washes for this to happen. This does not just happen with sensitive kids and it was actually the one and only rash/burn my dd had (although hers was with sportwash which was originally manufactured by charles and is the same as charlies with the exception of 1 ingredient).

Over the last several years, since my dd's burn I have spoken with way too many moms in tears over the burns, that I can never ever ever recommend either sportwash/sensi-clean or charlies. Now that charlies has removed the need for bleach from their website I feel that they are once again miss-leading the diapering community when the owner specifically stated that bleach was needed to be used in order to clean the diapers properly.

This is not a witch hunt against these 2 companies but a plea for honesty in labeling and until that happens I will continue to add our experience both personally and as a company to all threads that I see about them.

If you have any questions email me at lbyerline@gmail.com

If you have had issues with either product please go to the cpsc http://www.cpsc.gov/ and file a report with them so that this can be properly dealt with and no more babies suffer.
www.happyheinys.com
HappyHeinys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #26
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHeinys View Post
Sadly I see that they changed their washing instructions. The owner specifically stated that Charlies is not strong enough to get rid of the bacteria in the diapers and that you need to use bleach with their soap to clean the diapers. This was added to their site for a while but I just double checked and it has been removed.
I do have emails from him specifically stating that the soap needs bleach to be added in order to properly clean diapers.

Those parents whose children have had these burns have been made to feel as though they, the parents have not properly followed directions when using these soaps that cause the burns. The burns are caused by the soaps NOT completely cleaning the diapers. It is very sad to see that this company has removed their very own warning regarding the need for bleach.
Stating that the diaper is residue free gives all parents a false sense of security when it comes to the use of this soap and the soap is the last thing that they look at when trying to resolve the burn issue.

This is not a typical allergic rash but instead a burn with blistering that leads to scarring on the kids genital area. It happens with both liquid and powder. Sometimes it takes 1 wash and other times it can take several washes for this to happen. This does not just happen with sensitive kids and it was actually the one and only rash/burn my dd had (although hers was with sportwash which was originally manufactured by charles and is the same as charlies with the exception of 1 ingredient).

Over the last several years, since my dd's burn I have spoken with way too many moms in tears over the burns, that I can never ever ever recommend either sportwash/sensi-clean or charlies. Now that charlies has removed the need for bleach from their website I feel that they are once again miss-leading the diapering community when the owner specifically stated that bleach was needed to be used in order to clean the diapers properly.

This is not a witch hunt against these 2 companies but a plea for honesty in labeling and until that happens I will continue to add our experience both personally and as a company to all threads that I see about them.

If you have any questions email me at lbyerline@gmail.com

If you have had issues with either product please go to the cpsc http://www.cpsc.gov/ and file a report with them so that this can be properly dealt with and no more babies suffer.
how do i file that report as i would be happy to . i may just be being sleep deprived (sick baby) and that's why i can't figure it out

ETA- figured it out nm lol...filing now

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #27
hd_darcy
Registered Users
seller

Ughh.. I just bought some Charlie's. It sounds like I shoud not have So, if I'm understanding correctly if I add bleach to it, then the diapers will be cleaned and will not hurt my son???

I hate to just throw the soap away, but if there's a chance in it hurting my son, I sure will...ugh..

Darcy
hd_darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #28
Bug-a-boo's mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Re: Anyone have problems with Charlie's soap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_darcy View Post
Ughh.. I just bought some Charlie's. It sounds like I shoud not have So, if I'm understanding correctly if I add bleach to it, then the diapers will be cleaned and will not hurt my son???

I hate to just throw the soap away, but if there's a chance in it hurting my son, I sure will...ugh..

Darcy

I too just bought some. But I have heard that you should use bleach sparingly on dipes. It really isn't recommended at all. So I don't think that you would really want to use it for every diaper wash. Hmm. Not sure if I will use it or not. Might try it on towels. Stuff that isn't directly on K's bum area. I am currently using Sun that I bought at the $1 store. And that is working well, which is why I haven't started using the Charlie's yet. That and the rash concern.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #29
AddysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i say try it.
at least to strip your diapers of any yuck that may be lurking in them, not bacteria yuck, but detergent/mineral yuck.
we dont use bleach we use HOT water and HOT dryer.
i turn my water heater up all the way. goes over 160*F
if i feel the need to kill any extra germs i will use tto or gse. i only use bleach on FSOT items when i first get them
Old 06-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #30
IdahoGrrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we didn't get a rash, but my dipes were always stinky after using powdered Charlies. I've never had stink w/ either of the other detergents I've used.