Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #21
cdiluv
Registered Users

Re: Plugged duct help?

As has already been mentioned take care of it even hough it hurts before it turns into mastitis. Mastitis is miserable! Take a hot shower, use hot wet compresses, and then let baby nurse on that side first. Baby nursing was always more effective than pumping for me. You can also try to hand express immediately following. Don't neglect the other side though because you could end up with a clogged duct on the other side too.

Advertisement

cdiluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:06 AM   #22
Momluvalex02
Registered Users

My Mood:

Exactly what she said!! Make sure you nurse that side first.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
Momluvalex02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:28 AM   #23
baby1577
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

This is crazy, but it was a last ditch effort and it worked!!

My BFF had a clogged duct and was totally miserable. She tried everything listed above plus some. Her DH wouldn't help (sucking forcefully) and clearly I wasn't going THAT far to help a friend in need. Haha. So instead, she hooked her breast up to her pump flange, and I sucked on the tube. It only took a few really hard long tries before she felt the pressure reduce in that duct. From there she did heat/massage/pump and was good to go.
I am living the dream selling Plexus! Message me for info about a line of products that can help your family achieve overall wellness. Free shipping for all my DS mamas! Join my team today and find financial freedom! I have! http://shea7.myplexusproducts.com
baby1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #24
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby1577 View Post
This is crazy, but it was a last ditch effort and it worked!!

My BFF had a clogged duct and was totally miserable. She tried everything listed above plus some. Her DH wouldn't help (sucking forcefully) and clearly I wasn't going THAT far to help a friend in need. Haha. So instead, she hooked her breast up to her pump flange, and I sucked on the tube. It only took a few really hard long tries before she felt the pressure reduce in that duct. From there she did heat/massage/pump and was good to go.

LOL! That IS a good idea. Plugged ducts are the worst!

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
mommyegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #25
lovewool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had this problem over and over again with my first child, but oddly not once yet with my second, now 17 months old.

I ended up reading somewhere online that you can pop the plug out sort of like a pimple, and it really does work for immediate relief. I kept getting fevers from my backed up ducts and was tired of it.

So to free up the plugs, (I would sometimes get multiple at a time.) I would either have my son nurse at length, take a shower, or use a hot compress first to soften it up. Then I would look for the little white dots which where the plugs. It will correspond to the swollen area of the breast. If it's up top, it will be towards the top of your nipple...etc. I'd get a pin, rub it in rubbing alcohol, and gently poke just the surface of the skin where the white thing was really gently, and then pop it out with my fingers like a pimple, with milk spraying a couple feet out once the plug was freed. It's a little hard white thing or short string of thick stuff that will come out. Gross, I know! Then I'd rub the swolen backed part of the breast toward my nipple until it stopped spraying, which would sometimes take a while! Or have baby nurse. I really thought using a pin was insane but it got to the point where I was so desperate for a solution I tried it. I've used this method repeatedly with no problems.

This was how I managed it with no supplements or lecithin or anything, and then made sure to get more sleep if possible and increase water.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #26
solomonsmama
Registered Users

For the really stubborn ones, a physical therapist can use an ultrasound machine. (It's a deep heat) Health care reform means you don't need a referral for PT and it was really helpful for me. Plus, they say it's less likely to recur after ultrasound.
solomonsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #27
huri.kouzouyan
Registered Users

I use a massage DS pediatrician recommended...curl you finger tips to the top of your palm, use your middle knuckles and starting from the armpit side of breast, knead towards nipple. I have also just hand expressed into a cup/towel if i was desperate for relief.
huri.kouzouyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:38 AM   #28
Maddymies
Registered Users
seller

Didn't read the other comments, but it always worked if I laid baby down and then got on my hands and knees. i would be on top of him with my clog pointing in the direction of his chin. Always drained out immediately!!
Maddymies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #29
Momma2twogirls328
Registered Users
seller

Warm wash cloth and feed baby while massaging plugged duct. Usually works like a charm for me.
Momma2twogirls328 is offline   Reply With Quote