Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
BusyPAMommy
Registered Users
seller

Alternatives to Frontline for flea/tick control?

Today my colleague told me that Frontline and similar flea/tick topical treatments cause cancer and she never uses them on her dogs. Basically made me feel like I killed my first greyhound, who passed away last spring at age 10 due to cancer, by using Frontline regularly.

We just adopted a new greyhound, and I'd bought a new package of Frontline for him but haven't applied it yet.

What do you all use? I read online that a mixture of diamtomaceous earth (who knows if I have that spelled correctly), neem powder, and yarrow powder applied monthly is an effective natural flea/tick deterrent. I definitely need to use something--fleas/ticks are a real problem around here and we do plan to do walks/hikes through woods and fields with our new grey.

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Alternatives to Frontline for flea/tick control?

They make chewables now for flea/tick control. I'm trying out Bravecto on my Yorkie. It's only given once every 3 months. They also have one that can be given monthly.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

While I do treat my yard with DE it is not enough if fleas and ticks are bad where you are, none of the natural treatments are. Actually Frontline doesn't work here anymore either. I have not tried Bravecto or Nexgaurd, it was just re-released on the market and some people have had issues with it making their dogs ill (mostly vomiting type stuff) and I hate having to rely on my vet for flea control. We used K9 Advantix during the worst part of flea season on the largest of the dogs after frontline stopped working and I found fleas on my indoor cat (she never leaves the house so they had to get in on the dogs). It worked great but it isn't safe for use around cats so I had to apply it at night right before putting them in their crates and then make sure everyone was separated for at least 24hours. It was sort of a pain. Not a huge deal if you don't own cats. It is more expensive than Frontline but supposed to be more effective against ticks (we hike with our dogs and have more tick species). I am sure some one will claim it also causes cancer though I have not seen anything on either Frontline or any of the other flea preventatives causing cancer (pet vaccinations have been linked to cancers in cats, there is also a theory about microchipping and tumors). When I ran out of Advantix I bought Seresto Collars for everyone. Now I don't have to worry about flea treatment for at least 8months. I also don't have to worry about the cat being cuddly with a couple of the dogs. It has been much easier for me all around.

I still treat my yard and house with DE just to be safe, two of my neighbors (whose yards join mine) have outdoor dogs that they don't bother to treat for fleas and obviously fleas don't care about fences.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I gave my dog Bravecto a week ago and she's been fine so far.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:33 PM   #5
kittygeorge
Registered Users
seller

We use Advantage.

And don't blame yourself for your dog's passing. No one knows what causes cancer. Have you the read the lables on food lately? Everything causes cancer in lab rats in CA. So cut yourself a break, and remember all the love and joy you had with your dog.

I think you also have to look at the risks and the benefits. The risks are the fleas then invading your house. Plus they carry parasites that can make your dog even more sick.
kittygeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
kawaii_momma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nexguard chewable is the best! My dogs love it and I don't have to deal with their temper tantrums after applying topical meds anymore.
kawaii_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
lilwoods2be
Registered Users
seller

We switched to Bravecto for our 2 goldens last year and haven't had any problems. Doesn't even make them feel sick like the comfortis did that we had been giving previously. And bonus only have to give every 3 months!
lilwoods2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:00 PM   #8
BusyPAMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygeorge View Post
We use Advantage.

And don't blame yourself for your dog's passing. No one knows what causes cancer. Have you the read the lables on food lately? Everything causes cancer in lab rats in CA. So cut yourself a break, and remember all the love and joy you had with your dog.

I think you also have to look at the risks and the benefits. The risks are the fleas then invading your house. Plus they carry parasites that can make your dog even more sick.
Coming back to this thread after a long while and wanted to say thanks for your kind words. As well as your sensible point about balancing benefits and risks.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:43 AM   #9
MaxCarey
Registered Users

It is hardly possible to keep your pets away from the contact of other dogs or to keep them inside the home for whole day. You cannot snatch their freedom just because of the fear of fleas and tick. In spite you can take give effective medicines like Frontline Plus, Capster etc. available on Petcarerx.com and save their life easily. You can also take online assistance for home remedies for their treatment or can even consult your Vet for the same.
MaxCarey is offline   Reply With Quote