Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Puppy training

Trying to prepare for new puppy who will arrive next weekend. It has been so long since I potty trained and crate trained etc a dog. Any websites you like to learn about crate training and obidence training. I signed puppy up for puppy class at petsmart and they said they do clicker training! What's your thoughts on this. I didn't clicker train my 14 yr old dog. Do you like clicker training why or why not. Thanks

Wife to mike, mom to k(8) m(6) j(4)
Please forgive typos I am on a iPhone.
kayleesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Puppy training

I like clicker training. We did the petsmart classes- way better than anything I have ever done on my own. I like clicker trainer because I think its easier for reinforcement purposes. Its pretty straight forward which I like.
SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I start out with a clicker and move on to "yes" as a mark word. That is primarily because A) I displace clickers quickly despite having half a dozen or so of them drifting around the house and usually in the pockets of most of my clothing I can never find one when I need it and B) I have coordination problems and my brain and hands no longer communicate well so I can actually say "yes" faster than I can click (it is supposed to work the other way which is why the clicker is used). I have never had an issue switching back and forth, I train high level obedience and tricks with my dogs quite successfully this way. Right now I am working with a rehab case (high drive, no training when she arrived, way too much prey drive), my puppy who will be my service dog I hope (if he gets large enough, that is starting to look like an issue as he has stalled growing sadly but his behavior is awesome) and a puppy I am temp raising for a service dog program. They are all doing well. I use this program a lot for training. Whether starting with a puppy or adult rescue.

Petsmart training can be good or bad, it really depends on the trainer. The base program is always supposed to be the same but I have found some of the trainers do not stick to the program at all and some just do not know how to teach. The goal of a group training class is to help owners learn to train their dogs, some trainers struggle with that. I would watch some classes before signing up. I really like some of the trainers and would avoid some of the others.
ShannonInk'd, Atheist, Liberal, Part Time Large Equipment Mechanic, HS-ing, Mum to ASD Ninja Kearnan (8-4-01) & Derby Boy Tharen (12-1-05)
Always remembering Arawyn Born Silently (12-21-03)
Crocheted longies/shorties, toys and more see samples Arawyn's Garden Crochet
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:14 AM   #4
Registered Users

I like clicker training, because it helps "mark" the target behavior for the dog, but I found that we dropped using the clicker outside of formal training sessions pretty quickly. Potty training actually seemed pretty easy with our pup. We did click and treat pottying outside from the time we got him, and he did great with it -- had very few accidents inside. He picked it up pretty quickly.
Kayelltee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I love clicker training (you're supposed to phase the clicker out when the behavior is well learned.
Mom to DD9, DD4, and cautiously expecting in May
Rannensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
Registered Users

I have never clicker trained a dog. I did do obedience classes and found them to be very helpful. The best thing I trained my new puppy to do is use the bathroom in a designated part of the yard. All I have to do is say "go to the zone" and she will run to the spot and go. I am so glad i did this because it keeps my kids from stepping in unpleasant surprises!
arwickli is offline   Reply With Quote