Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

Furniture

We're moving soon and plan on getting rid of at least one of our couches. One we got for 15 bucks and has a huge hole in the leather (the cushions don't come off so I can't reupholster easily) and the other has a broken tension spring so that one half of the couch is sunken. Plus it's dark brown microfiber, and seems to act like velcro with my fawn colored dog's hair.

So, what's the best kind of furniture fabric with a dog or kids? My dog sheds a bit, and the fur she sheds is stiff and pokey (it's gotten stuck in my skin before!). It embeds itself in the fabric of the couch & takes a while to clean. For some reason brushing her doesn't do that well to get rid of that fur. I was thinking I could get an ikea couch, where I can wash/replace the entire slip cover when I need to or something like this couch where I could also just wash/replace the cushion covers. Those two end up being the same cost after shipping.

I could also splurge and get a leather couch: http://www.bryght.com/product/1008/sven-charme-tan-sofa
Though I'm sure my dog's nails would do a number on it.

So my dilemma is whether to get something cheaper that would be easily washable, or get something more expensive that might last longer structurally.

I guess the real solution would be to keep her off of the couch, or train her to only get on a blanket.

So what do you find to be the best fabric/couch solution for your pets? Do you allow your pets to get on couches and/or sleep in your bed?

Advertisement

apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
Jayeh
Registered Users
seller

Re: Furniture

I would definitely recommend top grain leather! The link you sent was for aniline dyed leather, which is dyed throughout, so even if your dog were to scratch at it, the "color" will still be there. If you get corrected leather than the "color" will scratch off. if you're looking for something that will last, make sure you buy top grain leather and not "bonded leather"!
Jayeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayeh View Post
I would definitely recommend top grain leather! The link you sent was for aniline dyed leather, which is dyed throughout, so even if your dog were to scratch at it, the "color" will still be there. If you get corrected leather than the "color" will scratch off. if you're looking for something that will last, make sure you buy top grain leather and not "bonded leather"!
Totally agree with this. Wish we had thought through our last furniture purchase as we are already having issues just two years later. We bought bonded leather and we don't even allow our pets on the couch and still have nicks in it.