Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #1
trixieskips
Registered Users

My Mood:
What age for guinea pigs?

I have fond memories of our guinea pigs from my childhood. My son is 2 and def too young for them now. But what is a good age, when kids are gentle enough for the piggies?

Advertisement

trixieskips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:38 AM   #2
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: What age for guinea pigs?

That depends on the kid IMO. And the piggy really. Get babies and handle them a lot. Our 2 piggies were rescues and weren't handled. They are very squirmy and do not like to be picked up. I'm the only one who handles them now because my son is afraid of being scratched. We all enjoy them anyway. They have a huge cage off the kitchen and get a lot interaction from us without being picked up. They have great little personalities. They beg for food anytime the fridge is opened because they know where their veggies come from.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What age for guinea pigs?

I agree, it depends on the child & the guinea pig itself more than the child's age. My LO's can get crazy at times... but when it comes to our animals they're amazingly gentle for the most part and usually listen really well when I tell them to not touch etc. So if we didn't already have a bunch of pets now I'd definitely consider guinea pigs. Maybe someday. I have fond memories of having guinea pigs as a child too.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote