Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2015, 01:06 AM   #1
Dinosaursandumptrucks
Registered Users

My Mood:
Why do you have a cat? What makes a cat a good pet?

My kids and I want a kitty, we just moved to a new house and haven't had a pet before .We were thinking of adopting a kitten from the animal shelter but now my husband thinks a cat is to much work and the poop and all that. I'm sad!!! I love cats. I need some good points on why having a kitten would be a good idea.

Thank you my fellow cat lovers - meow

Advertisement

Dinosaursandumptrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:51 AM   #2
liveformybabies
Registered Users

Re: Why do you have a cat? What makes a cat a good pet?

Hi,
I am a owner of 3 cats.
First I had dogs long long time ago but one day, I adopted 2 cats(brothers) and they melt me. They were so cute and lovely. They became part of my family and they gave me love and happiness. I got more responsabilities because I promised to take good care of them. Everywhere I live, they live because I will never give them up since they became real members of my family.
Later on, I found a baby kitten in front of my house, he was forsaken, was sick, starving to death, shivering to death because of cold winter, dirty with a tail almost broken. I already had two cats so I hesitated didn't want to adopt him but I brought him at home to try to save him and to find a nice family for him but nobody wanted to adopt him at the begining. One day, someone contacted me because he wanted to adopt him but I already fell in love with this kitten then I decided to adopt him.
A few months later, one of the brothers cats passed away because of kidney failure and I felt so sad.... and I was feeling bad for his brother too... Fortunately, because of the new street kitten I adopted, he never stayed alone.
One year later, I had to move out and I found another street kitten just in front of my place again. This one couldn't open his eyes because and he was so skinny too. Then I brought him home and tried to find a family for him but couldn't find too until someone contacted me to adopt him but again I fell in love with the new street kitten and decided to adopt him too. So now I have 3 kittens and they all get along. They are all members of my family and they give me more than what I give to them. Often, I say: "I didn't save them, in fact they save me" because they give me love so much that I never feel all alone and I became someone who know what are responsabilities.
I hope my story will help you to save another cat.
liveformybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will preface this by saying I am a dog person not a cat person. I like all animals but I have significant preferences. I have a cat, I love my cat very very much. I will never ever ever own another cat. It will not happen. When Halloween is gone that will be the end of it. I don't like living with cats. I have 4 dogs and I love dogs. That single cat is more work than all 4 of my dogs put together.

Why do I have a cat? I have a cat because my husband pulled a litter of kittens out of a pile of bricks in his parents back yard and "they are just so cute, can't we have one mommy?" "Oh look at this poor little kitten, she needs a home. She is snuggling me. I will take care of her I promise!!!!" I can't say no to my son basically. He did not take care of her, of course. So now I have a cat. I knew that would happen going in, don't get me wrong. Cats are not great pets for kids, most don't care to be handled by children (I grew up with cats, my parents had 2-5 my entire life, they have them now too). As far as being a playmate for the kids a dog is far better. Each of my boys has their own dog, the dogs want to be with them. Halloween only wants to be with me (I have to give it to her, she is smart). She isn't mean, she lets them pet her, but she doesn't go out of her way to spend time with them. She won't go to their bedrooms, lay with them on the couch, play with them, ect. My boys are not young (9 and 13.5) and they aren't rough with animals so there really isn't a good reason for it, just the way cats are.

Then there is care. I don't like litter. All cats need it and it is disgusting. I don't like having a box in my house where an animal does their business. It is messy and gross. I much prefer being able to open the door and send my dogs out to take care of their business. Yeah it is a pain when the weather is bad (they come in wet) but there isn't litter and who knows what being tracked all over the furniture, table, counters and everywhere else a cat walks. Cats shed more than dogs too, I've never figured out why or how. All that said I love Halloween. She knows if I am sad or sick and sits in my lap to purr. She says "meoomy" (I really think it is more for her benefit, she knows how to suck up LOL) and follows me from room to room. She keeps me company when I shower, when I am sleeping. She makes sure I get up on time every morning. I just have no interest in having another cat, she is unique and rather uncatlike. I will probably never be without a dog.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:11 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Not an animal person here. Personally, I find animals to be nasty. However, my experiences with cats have been good. Yes the litter box is nasty. That can be solved with a bit of money and regular cleaning. I did have cats when I was a kid. Loved them. They are smart, friendly, loving, etc. The one that was mine always new when I needed her to cuddle.

My kids found a litter of kittens in our garage. Psycho kid next door cut the paw off of one of the kittens with a pair of scissors. When the foot got infected we brought the kitten in to nurse it back to health. Well, honestly I let the kids bring it in and I treated it to pacify the kids. I really thought it didn't matter what we did, the kitten was going to die. Well, not only did it not die it thrived. Grew to be a great big grey Tom cat. Loved my daughter like crazy. Slept with her, played with her, cuddled with her. That cat was head over heals in love with her. Unfortunately, we did have to let him go. We lost the battle with fleas and could no longer afford to keep trying. Poor thing was covered in flea bites. So were my husband and children. We had to let him go.

For me I would never get a cat. Then again I would never get any pet. More work than a kid in my opinion. Or maybe it is that I love children but don't like animals. Either way no pets for me. If 3 out 5 of us weren't allergic to cats I would attempt to talk my husband into letting my daughter get a cat. The only reason we let her get the last cat was our assumption it wouldn't live. Once it proved it's strength what else could we do but keep him?

Plusses to cats in my opinion is they are easily house trained, friendly, loving, care for themselves, clean.

Should you decide to get a cat if it isn't already declawed look up what exactly it involves. I did stumbled on some information when pricing it. After reading I chose not to declaw my daughter's kittens. Remember, I do not like animals and would never, ever allow any cat we owned, indoor or outdoor cat, to be declawed. I was horrified by what I read. Some people will say they had their cats done with no ill effects. I wasn't going to take the chance. It wasn't worth it to me.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Articles on declawing.
http://www.paw-rescue.org/declaw_paper.php
http://www.littlebigcat.com/declawin...-of-declawing/
http://www.declawing.com/

This is declawing horror stories. In my opinion it doesn't matter if there are good stories. The risk of coming home with a horror story was to great for me to consider having it done. Yes my couch was ruined by the kittens(were 3 of them, rehomed 2, kept the lame one).
http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/declawstory.html
Old 03-18-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I grew up with cats all my life so I guess I'm just used to it. They have different personalities and can be lots of fun. I also find them easier to take care of than dogs; they tend to be more independent and don't need to be taken for walks. And who can resist their purr!!! Such a soothing sound. The litter box is annoying but it's not a big deal.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #7
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with not declawing them. My cat does scratch certain things but nothing that we care too much about him scratching. Also, we didn't start with a kitten. We got a 2 yo cat and adopted him. We also made sure we asked the person in charge of adoption if he was okay with children.

Last edited by mel j; 03-18-2015 at 08:10 AM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
Dinosaursandumptrucks
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you all for your responses. He finally came around to the idea! We looked at the adoption center but they only had 3 older kittens, none of which were a fit for us. We will wait patiently because I don't want to rush this just because it's cute. My husband and I adopted a dog before we had children. He got very aggressive with me (any woman) and we ended up giving him to a farmer in the next town who was desperate for a companion as his dog just passed and he was thriving there. I told myself after that we would never own a dog again. My husband wouldn't even consider it, house training that dog was very hard and he says nope we have enough kids peeing and pooping around here. Lol.
Dinosaursandumptrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #9
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

I had never owned a cat in my life. Only dogs. I'm allergic to them, but kids found some in the barn, tames them, cared for them, and loved them and then somehow they disappeared - most likely eaten by something. They were so devastated, that someone brought them 2 kittens in a cardboard box and I couldn't say no. They are flippin hilarious! I really love them. Of course after I pet them - which I can't resist because they come rubbing and looking for attention - I have to go wash my hands and sometimes my face. They have real names but I call them itchy and scratchy! They were supposed to live on the porch until they got old enough to fend for themselves, but I got scared they wouldn't make it and w/in months they were indoor cats. I hate the litter box, but the positive is - unlike a dog you can leave them all day w/o worrying that they are going to have an accident. When we go away for a weekend or week it is easy to have someone come take care of them instead of having to take them along or use kennel. They eat bugs and catch mice! They are quiet.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #10
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Don't forget that any animal has their own personality. I'm more a cat person, but the cats I love are more dog-like in that they are people lovers rather than the more aloof stereotypical cat. I suggest getting an older ~1 year old shelter pet, because then you know more about their personality. Then I don't have a problem adding a rescue cat to the household that has already been declawed by someone else, but I also have no problem with clawed cats (and I won't declaw one myself).
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote