Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:
A good first fish?

My 3 year old has been asking for a fish, and I really want to get her one as her first pet. I have had several betta fish years ago and did a lot of research and water monitoring and conditioning to keep them healthy. Once I had it figured out I found them pretty low maintenance. I like how they can just live in a bowl of water, no filter or bubbles. Are their any other "easy" fish out there I should consider? Something inexpensive to get the setup and inexpensive to maintain?

Advertisement

loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
HeatherM0529
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: A good first fish?

Definitely betta. I have never had issues with mine and don't condition water at all.
I put tap water in there and feed him every other day. I also got a snail for the tank and a few ghost shrimp (these don't last long though, but they're really cool and about $.30 each.

We had a 47 gallon fish tank and even though freshwater it was a PAIN to clean and keep maintained. We were always losing fish. I've had my betta for about 9 months now!
HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
callejon87
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceworks
My 3 year old has been asking for a fish, and I really want to get her one as her first pet. I have had several betta fish years ago and did a lot of research and water monitoring and conditioning to keep them healthy. Once I had it figured out I found them pretty low maintenance. I like how they can just live in a bowl of water, no filter or bubbles. Are their any other "easy" fish out there I should consider? Something inexpensive to get the setup and inexpensive to maintain?
I had a betta for 4 years in a small bowl that I rarely cleaned--easy!

Mama to Myra (Jan '13), FPIES
callejon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:02 AM   #4
Espresso
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree with the Betta idea - pretty hard to screw that one up. DH and I keep joking that ours will never die...

We did go ahead and get a 10gal tank for him just because we felt sorry for him. We have a few shrimp (are pretty fun to watch), a plecostamus and had tetras (until DH put a new tank heater in). They are all pretty low maintenance, but we really don't dig cleaning the tank.
Espresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
littlefish2390
Registered Users

Even though a gold fish is the stereotypic first fish avoid them! They are super dirty! I would go with a beta or tetras. I also had guppies that were pretty easy to deal with. DH's family had an oscar growing up that seemed to be pretty low maintenance when they talk about him but he ended up needing a TON of space. Don't quote me on the oscar maintenance.
littlefish2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
Peanutsmama2b
Registered Users
seller

I vote for a betta. They are so pretty, easy to care for, and far less likely to die right away. I have had no luck with goldfish indoors, but even I can keep a betta happy!
Peanutsmama2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks everyone! Betta it is... I thought so but I wanted to see if anything other fish were similar in their care needs. Thanks!
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Betta's are good but really any freshwater tank that is set up well is easy to maintain. Once you set it up, you really shouldn't have to do too much to it. If you go to petsmart/petco or the like, tetras are good, guppies are good, so are quite a few others. You just want to steer clear from the semi-aggressive, aggressive, and brackish fish like mollies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherM0529 View Post
Definitely betta. I have never had issues with mine and don't condition water at all.
I put tap water in there and feed him every other day. I also got a snail for the tank and a few ghost shrimp (these don't last long though, but they're really cool and about $.30 each.

We had a 47 gallon fish tank and even though freshwater it was a PAIN to clean and keep maintained. We were always losing fish. I've had my betta for about 9 months now!
Your shrimp aren't lasting long because they are an indicator species. Shrimp are sensitive to toxin's in the environment. If you see them dieing that means there is a toxic build up going on in your bowl. (they indicate when there is issues) If you have well water you may be fine with not conditioning. If you have chlorinated city water then that could be what is killing your shrimp or it could be a build up of nitrites in your tank if you don't do water changes. Really a bowl is not the place for shrimp. The water parameters just aren't stable enough for them.

Also water conditioner is super cheap and it's use is more humane for your betta
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #9
btroutman3831
Registered Users
seller

Betta fish live forever! Or an angel fish! That was my first fish I will never forget that! It lived for two years
btroutman3831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
triplea1019
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btroutman3831 View Post
Betta fish live forever! Or an angel fish! That was my first fish I will never forget that! It lived for two years
Angel fish need a minimum 30gal tank, and should live longer than 2 years.
triplea1019 is offline   Reply With Quote