Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
gingersnappy
Registered Users
seller

Car accident. Practically new car seat. WWYD??

My husband was in a car accident yesterday. He was fine, DD wasn't in the car, and aside from moderate front end damage, the vehicle was totally fine (no damage to the inside of the car). The car's air bags didn't deploy or anything, although the insurance may choose not to repair due to the age of the vehicle and the mileage :-/
The insurance company told us to throw out the Chicco NextFit that we bought about 3 months ago. They will refund us up to $250 for it.

It just breaks my heart to throw out what is most likely a perfectly defect-free new car seat when someone else can use it. I greatly hesitate Craigslisting it for free with its history outline, because someone may turn around and sell it without the disclosure.

Do I go to the dump with it?

Advertisement

gingersnappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Car accident. Practically new car seat. WWYD??

Sadly I would trash it Its just not structurally sound anymore and a child could get hurt. The accident rendered it useless. Thank god she wasnt in the car and it wasnt needed.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
squirrelgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't understand how a car seat is ruined by an accident if it wasn't in use. I understand that it is unsafe if it has done its duty with a buckled child in an accident. But it makes no sense to me (with my admittedly small amount of physics knowledge) how it is in any different condition now than it was before the accident.

ETA: I would probably take it to goodwill or salvation army for a family with limited budget for a good car seat. (Unless someone who knows more than me, can tell us why it is damaged under these circumstances)

Because the sinless Savior died, my sinful soul is counted free!

Last edited by squirrelgirl; 05-01-2014 at 04:17 PM.
squirrelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
LauraBelleL
Registered Users
seller

Trash it. Cut the straps. Everything in the car experiences the forces of the impact. The plastic that the carseat is made of is only designed/guaranteed to survive said forces once. In a second accident something could fail. I would never keep using a carseat after an accident at more than 5mph and I would never buy a used carseat because so many people don't think it is a big deal.
LauraBelleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
TrishB
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBelleL View Post
Trash it. Cut the straps. Everything in the car experiences the forces of the impact. The plastic that the carseat is made of is only designed/guaranteed to survive said forces once. In a second accident something could fail. I would never keep using a carseat after an accident at more than 5mph and I would never buy a used carseat because so many people don't think it is a big deal.

This. The car seat sustained damage no matter if you can see it or not. I'm sure it was buckled in and lots of force was put on the plastic.
TrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
bpirof
Registered Users
seller

It doesn't matter if there's a child in the seat, it sustained crash forces and could fail in a second crash, car seats are a one time use thing when it comes to accidents.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
bpirof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #7
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My answer probably is not the popular one...but we all know the "right" answer, but the "right" answers are not always practical there is no one way safety can be tested in every single scenario so the safe answer is to say that it is not safe bc we really don't know if it is or not. You (or your husband) was the only one there- would you be comfortable still using the seat??? If you aren't then I wouldn't feel comfortable letting someone elses child use it. If you are comfortable why not sell the new one for the money.

ETA: Either way I probably wouldn't sell or donate the one in the accident bc it is not a decision I would want to make for someone else's child

Last edited by saraley; 05-01-2014 at 05:50 PM.
saraley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do not donate our sell a "crashed" seat. No matter if you think it's safe. What if it really wasn't and something happened to the new owner??? I could never live with that.

If you think it's safe then you can make the choice to keep it yourself.

However I do know that some insurances have you bring in the "crashed" seat to prove that it's not being used. That's what happened to my sister when her van was in an accident. They had to bring in their seats and the agent cut the straps right there.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've been there. :-( It feels like such a waste, but you NEED to dispose of it properly. If it's not safe enough for your child, then it isn't safe for anyone else. Last May we were rear ended and had to replace both our Britax convertibles. In November, I was side swiped on the interstate...I can't tell you how thankful I am that my girls were in safe new seats and they were fine. Once again we replaced 2 almost new Britax seats. The car seats are designed to "give" and irreversibly deform during a crash in order to absorb and divert the crash forces away from the child. Britax even has a name for the way the harness webbing breaks down to absorb the crash force...staged something-or-other :-)

PS. We dealt with 2 different insurance companies in the 2 accidents. Geico paid for the replacement and the adjuster kept the crashed seats. The other smaller company worked with an independent adjuster and he did not take the crashed seats, but gave us the msrp reimbursement of the crashed seats.

Last edited by juliasmom; 05-01-2014 at 07:15 PM.
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Dump. Take the straps off and throw it in another trash can somewhere else. Better safe than sorry
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote