Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
MommaMarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Car accident. Practically new car seat. WWYD??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBelleL View Post
Trash it. Cut the straps. Everything in the car experiences the forces of the impact. The plastic that the carseat is made of is only designed/guaranteed to survive said forces once. In a second accident something could fail. I would never keep using a carseat after an accident at more than 5mph and I would never buy a used carseat because so many people don't think it is a big deal.
I agree. This is why insurance companies are required to replace them! Required. Think about all the millions of dollars that your insurance company makes and that will help ease your worries. Your kiddos safety is number one. it's garbage now and im glad your husband and car are ok

Advertisement

MommaMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMarty View Post
I agree. This is why insurance companies are required to replace them! Required. Think about all the millions of dollars that your insurance company makes and that will help ease your worries. Your kiddos safety is number one. it's garbage now and im glad your husband and car are ok
In most states, insurance companies are not required to replace crashed seats. In some states, they are required only to replace seats that were occupied during the crash. That being said, most insurance companies can be convinced to replace seats if you are persistent.

OP, yes I agree with the others, the best course of action is to destroy the crashed seat. The seatbelt (or LATCH strap) holding the child seat into the car could have exerted enough force on the car seat frame to compromise its strength.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
MommaMarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bummer. I thought that it was everywhere. In California they are required to.... Those states should get with the program and make it mandatory. What good are all the million laws about car seats if kids are being left in damaged ones.
MommaMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #14
33andunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm under the impression that all car seats (except Britax) state in their user manual that car seats should not be used after a collision. To use a car seat after such an incident would not be following the car seat instructions (proper use policy), which is the law in most states.

I would not risk a car seat like this. A new seat is not that expensive. The consequences (no matter how likely we think it is) are not worth saving a few dollars.

Check to see if there is a recycling program near you.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #15
smilyme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm just curious, can a car seat be recycled? Is that what Babies R Us does when you trade in an old one? If you use it for anything, use it as a trade in.

www.clothisgreen.com
smilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #16
triplea1019
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check the seat's guidelines. Some seats don't require replacement if certain criteria are met, but I forget what those seats are.
triplea1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #17
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/c...raintreuse.htm Here are the NHTSA guidelines, if that's helpful.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:36 AM   #18
Adventuredad
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelgirl View Post
I don't understand how a car seat is ruined by an accident if it wasn't in use. I understand that it is unsafe if it has done its duty with a buckled child in an accident. But it makes no sense to me (with my admittedly small amount of physics knowledge) how it is in any different condition now than it was before the accident.

ETA: I would probably take it to goodwill or salvation army for a family with limited budget for a good car seat. (Unless someone who knows more than me, can tell us why it is damaged under these circumstances)
The seat is mot likely fine but we don't know for sure so it has to be trashed. The main problem in accidents is that it's very difficult to know what forces the seat had to deal with. It matters greatly if a child was in the seat or not but even minor accidents can place great strain on a car seat.

I assume you have not been in a crash lab standing next to the rig at impact. Forces in a car crash are enormous even at speeds which most find laughable to talk about. An unrestrained child will actually fly through the front window in a collision at 19 mph. Most have that speed in the parking lot.

I understand that it's very difficult to imagine the large forces in a collision until experienced. Do you know a common reaction when parents stand next to a crash rig in the lab at moderate speed? First quiet and then crying. Especially mothers. The forces are brutal and when experienced up close, even with a dummy, the experience is powerful and something you will never forget.

Those who witness this up close won't even for a second consider rear facing shorter time than at least age 4 since forces are reduced so much. It's quite an amazing thing to see.

Take off the fabric, give it to someone who needs it and trash the seat.

CarSeat.se Rear Facing Car Seats
Swedish 55 lbs Rear Facing Car Seats Saving Lives Since 1965
Annika: 7.5 years Britax Adventure Daniel: 10 years Britax Adventure
Adventuredad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #19
triplea1019
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplea1019 View Post
Check the seat's guidelines. Some seats don't require replacement if certain criteria are met, but I forget what those seats are.
Here's from Chicco, I looked it up myself this morning out of curiosity.

http://www.chiccousa.com/nextfit/faqs.aspx

Do I have to replace my Chicco car seat if it has been involved in a crash?

Yes. You must replace your child's car seat if it was involved in a crash, no matter what. Even if there appears to be no damage to the car seat on the surface, the impact and force of a collision can cause unseen structural damage to the interior of your car seat. Any such damage may prohibit your car seat from properly protecting your child in the event of a sudden stop or crash. Some insurance carriers will reimburse you for the replacement of a new car seat if it was in a crash. Check with your insurance carrier for more details.

NHTSA guidelines do not apply to Chicco (I couldn't remember if they did or not).
triplea1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #20
juliefarnsworth87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is it worth taking the risk that it might not be sound? It is your right to decide whether or not to use the seat for your own child(if your agent doesn't cut it) but it is NOT your right to choose for another families child. Can you imagine if you bought a carseat from someone and later found out it had been in an accident? Even if it looked ok I would be to scared to continue to use it. The safety of my child is WAY more important than continuing to use a possibly compromised carseat.
juliefarnsworth87 is offline   Reply With Quote