Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2007, 05:16 AM   #1
MollyJones
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Feeling Guilty for Wanting to be Done

My DS turned a year on 5/26. He has never had any formula and really doesn't even like Rice Milk, Homemade juice much (although he had Gerber juice for the first time yesterday and LOVED that!), and we don't want to give him cow's breastmilk. He just still wants to nurse ALL the time!

He nurses before both naps and every time he is hungry, he asks to nurse.
At night, he is up every 2-3 hours to nurse.

I feel like I am ready to be DONE! I want to sleep again. It has been over a year... plus, he is so squirmy while he nurses. He always has been. But he's getting big to hold while he squirms like that.

I feed him three meals a day and snacks whenever he asks for them or when he asks for milkies. He has dinner about an hour before he goes to bed and he usually eats dinner really well then drains me before he goes to sleep, so he can't really be all THAT hungry!

I've been feeling guilty about it lately, too, because every time I sit down to nurse him I feel like, "I don't want to be doing this." How horrible. I wanted so badly to do baby-led weaning. But I am also starting to feel like, "This kid needs to sleep--and so do I!!"

Just wanted to post and see if you mommas had any advice or similar experiences or see what you might do...

Thanks, mommas.

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
renfairemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Feeling Guilty for Wanting to be Done

((HUGS)) With my first son it was like this. I would cry everytime he nursed. It was an awful experience. You have done such a wonderful thing nursing for over a year. I would say do what you need to do. We would cuddle alot after we stopped nursing. Hang in there mama!!!
Old 06-01-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
ebutterfly782
Registered Users
Formerly: s**wski
seller

My Mood:

My DD turned 1 on 5/11. I have worked on getting her down to 3 nursing sessions a day. I say that is fine if you want to wean. DD weaned to soy milk. Happy mommy is very important!
Old 06-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hiding under a chair-
my friend used chocolate milk to wean her daughter from the breast- i would have if i had to i admit it
Old 06-01-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
Thrice Blessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey, girl, no need to feel guilty-he should NOT be getting up to nurse at night like that-that would do anyone in. Those would be the ones to cut out first. Don't want to go on and on here. I had a hard time getting DS to drink milk, too. Didn't want to do the cow's milk. Personally, I prefer almond milk to rice milk. Ugh, I could go on and on-we need to talk
Old 06-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
nadjarea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dem,
I know how you're feeling. You have to make the best decision for you and Asa. It's not terrible for him to be weaned now, it would be good to keep nursing...but if it's making you miserable...then it's time to call it quits...or at least just nurse a few times a day.

I hope you're getting some rest now.
Love you.
nadjarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

Can you try to cut back and see how you feel? I don't blame you at all. I plan to nurse until a year but I'm not sure about that. It can be a great experience but it can be a hard one too. You've done so much for him. Don't feel guilty. What he needs most is a happy mommy
Old 06-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

while i dont think that your LO is ready to completely wean, i think that setting some boundaries and limitations would totally help in your situation (im hiding in the bedroom from my 11 mo dd, she has been nursing like CRAZY) it sound like your LO maybe in the middle of a growth spurt. if so, then this "super frequent" nursing schedule will begin to wind down within a few weeks time.

it is completely normal for a bf infant to wake during the night, especially after becoming mobile and interested in other things besides nursing during the day.

i would try adding more solids in to your LO diet, especially in the later afternoon and before bedtime (try to stay away juices and other sugary food such as fruits at this time, they tend to effect sleep). see if this works. it sounds like youre already trying this in some form.

also, its perfectly normal for you to be "irritated" while nursing (like i said im RUNNING from my 11 month old ) and by setting limits and distracting, hopefully you can cut some of those sessions down. when i start to get so frustrated, i try to think to myself that nursing is something that will come to an end, and then i know ill miss this time with my daughter (sometimes it helps, other times no so much lol)

but hang in there! youre doing a GREAT job! i know that you will work something out that works with both you and your LO.

a great resource for nightime parenting is www.askdrsears.com. hes awesome
rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
clemom3
Registered Users

Don't feel guilty. I stopped at about 1 year and at first, I was sad, but after a while I felt free. DD slept better, I stopped leaking, I could stop taking my pump to work everyday, etc.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #10
MelanieCookie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try not to feel guilty. BF'ing is not easy or everyone would do it. I wasn't able to do it with my son (first child, big baby and constantly nursing = no sleep and going psychotic ). I was determined to make it work with my second and I did. However, she weaned herself at 10 months. There is nothing wrong with wanting to cut back and doing so. Use that Gerber juice mama! And be proud of yourself. You've gotten much farther than alot of moms do.
MelanieCookie is offline   Reply With Quote