Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Feeling Guilty for Wanting to be Done

I know this sounds horrible, but it might be an easier transition. Try getting some cabbage leave to help reduce your milk supply, if he's not getting a whole lot he may lose interest in it..or try just rocking him at night. Obviously its become a comfort thing,because baby's at this age don't need to eat in the middle of the night, they may want to, but not needed. See if offering him something else will comfort him at night...

Advertisement

Last edited by Mommy2LivandNoah; 06-03-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Mommy2LivandNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2LivandNoah View Post
Obviously its become a comfort thing,because baby's at this age don't need to eat in the middle of the night, they may want to, but not needed. See if offering him something else comforting at night...

ITA Cut out the night feedings. I gave dd a little bottle of water at night and that seemed to do the trick. She always eats a TON during the days, but gets thirsty at night because she sweats when she sleeps (just like DH).
I would leave an advent with the sippy top and she also liked it when she was getting her molars b/c she could chew on it.

Good luck! Once you start sleeping again at night you will feel different about nursing during the day.

I can't imagine not having slept in a year.......

Also start a new sleep time routine that does not include nursing, but I would not try to cut out night feedings and chance your sleep time routine at the same time.

Last edited by Timetodance; 06-03-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
kingdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was feeling the same way until recently. DS turned 1 on 5/12 and was still up multiple times a night nursing and frequently during the day wanted to nurse. It was just wearing me out. We moved him out of our room and into his brother's and it helped SO much. I'm not right there so he might wake up and fuss a few times and if I let him, he'll go right back to sleep. He does wake up once between 3 and 5am and cry to nurse, so I feed him and he is back to sleep until 7-8:30. It is just feels so good to get some real sleep for once and I'm sure it's good for him too. We'll cut that last feeding out eventually, but this is good for now. And for some reason lessoning the nursing at night is also making him want it less during the day too. It's been a relief for me. I mean, I didn't want to stop, I just didn't want him to be nursing all the time and it honestly felt like he was. I think it would be worth it to really try and get your DS sleeping more at night and see if that changes how you feel about things. There are lots of ways to work on it depending on your sleeping arrangements. You're not going to be able to just cut him off anyway, you'll both be miserable. A few more little snacks during the day might help too.

JoJee Creations Custom pencil portraits and knitted goods
kingdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #14
cowmommy
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

mama. Grace nursed every one and half hour for the first 15 months of her life around the clock, seriously, no joke! I thought I was going to DIE! I had her baby bed set up like a cosleeper with my bed pushed against hers and no rail on the bed up until then. Then I got to thinking that maybe DH and I were waking her up so I put the rail on her baby bed and moved her to the other side of my bedroom and that night she slept for SIX HOURS before waking up!! I thought I was in heaven when I woke up!! I was about to BURST but she kindly helped with that very quickly. Ever since then she only gets up once around 6 AM to nurse then goes back to sleep. It might be something as simple as that.
BUT don't feel guilty if you want to wean him You have given him a great gift nursing him this long. I still haven't figured out what to do with Grace for milk though, I FINALLY got her to drink Cow's milk and she doesn't tolerate it It makes her bottom one big oozing bloody blister SO right now she gets mommy milk water and 100% juice that is watered down 1/2 with water every other day or so.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #15
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

You have to do what you feel is right but mostly children dont sleep through the night at a year or even soon after a year! Introduce more solids, use that Gerber juice!

I have been nursing 1 & 2 babies/toddlers for the past 3yrs I know how you feel, sometimes I feel like that too. I cant imagine weaning them but you know what is best for you guys!

My DD is 18months and gets up around 5 times a night to nurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtnmomma View Post
he should NOT be getting up to nurse at night like that
Growth spurt? Being mobile?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #16
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is 20 months and seems to be going through a major growth spurt, nursing a couple times at night in addition to her 4-5 nursings during the day. I understand wanting to be done, trust me, but I also feel that obviously, them nursing more means they need more...growth spurt, comfort nursing for teething..etc.

btw - the mama who said that toddlers do not need to be getting up at night to nurse, every child is different and maybe he really is hungry or thirsty or teething and wants the comfort of mama's milk...why deny a child that?
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #17
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtnmomma View Post
Hey, girl, no need to feel guilty-he should NOT be getting up to nurse at night like that-that would do anyone in. Those would be the ones to cut out first.
You shouldn't feel guilty, but I don't know that it's right to say he should NOT be nursing like that...some babies just NEED to. DD1 woke every 1 to 2 hours until she starting walking at 15 months...I kept telling myself that she'll sleep when she's ready. Having said that, there were many days I when I felt like pulling my hair out.
He will sleep eventually, but you should also do what you feel will help you to function more effectively as a parent during the day. Offering a sippy cup with water is a great option. Try a spill proof sippy that he's used to using during the day. DD1 still wakes 1 to 2 times a night-it's just the way she is, sometimes I nurse hr and sometimes she will drink water.

She also, like your babe, nurses A LOT during the day. She nurses more than her 13 month old sister. The differneces between their nursing patterns is amazing.
I really don't believe that they 'should NOT be nursing like that at night'. But, weaning is an option. He sounds like a comfort nurser and that's OK. Try the sippy, and lying with him. He may cry, but he's not CIO if you're with him comforting him.

I know it's tough, but it won't last forever. Hang in there.
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #18
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: onebumatatime!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadjarea View Post
Dem,
I know how you're feeling. You have to make the best decision for you and Asa. It's not terrible for him to be weaned now, it would be good to keep nursing...but if it's making you miserable...then it's time to call it quits...or at least just nurse a few times a day.

I hope you're getting some rest now.
Love you.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #19
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're kind of going through something similar, and so we're going to nightwean, and then see where we're at. Recently he's been waking more at night and DH has had enough, so I think that it will be better for everyone if we nightwean. We have a family bed and still want to continue that for now, so we're planning to use Dr Jay Gordon's approach to nightweaning.
Article here
Old 06-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #20
nrae74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsiemomma View Post
My dd is 20 months and seems to be going through a major growth spurt, nursing a couple times at night in addition to her 4-5 nursings during the day. I understand wanting to be done, trust me, but I also feel that obviously, them nursing more means they need more...growth spurt, comfort nursing for teething..etc.

btw - the mama who said that toddlers do not need to be getting up at night to nurse, every child is different and maybe he really is hungry or thirsty or teething and wants the comfort of mama's milk...why deny a child that?

totally agree!! besides your babe is really still an infant IMO....only a one yo, ff one year olds probably can go all night but breastmilk digests so fast! and the solids they eat at one year are not absorbed that well either. It is completely normal for a baby this age to still Need to nurse. My ds stopped nursing at night when I put him in a crib at 14 months, I think he was mad Oh, also would have to say watch that gerber juice or any juice! empty sugar calories and then you'll have to be more dillegent about teeth brushing I would rather nurse my 2 yo than brush his teeth any day boy does he have a fit! but don't feel bad I want my 2 yo to be done!! and some days I want my 9 mo to be done even though I know she is way to young to wean , some days I just feel touched out!