Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

how did you decide to homeschool?

We are working on this decision now. DS is 3.5 and had been in a Montessori school for 2 years. We like it very much but it is $. We do have the money already saved up for next year. I work full time and DH has his own business he is trying get going. We had assumed we would stay with Montessori as long as we could & then switch to homeschooling.

A charter school just opened near us and because it's new we wouldn't have to worry about the lottery system. The following year we probably would. From what I've checked out so far it actually would be a pretty good school. No tuition. But not Montessori methods and not the homeschool freedom either, which appeals to me.

How do we make this decision? What if DS would actually thrive in that type of environment better than my current choices? How did you decide to homeschool?

Sent from my phone using DS Forum

Advertisement

neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:33 AM   #2
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: how did you decide to homeschool?

When I was a school teacher my colleagues would always say that the perfect school would be a teacher and a minivan full of kids.

So when I had kids I wanted to homeschool. I also met many HS moms through La Leche League so the concept didn't seem so strange to me. It took my dh more time to get on board.

We have tried private school. It just seemed to me that by focusing on my children I could tailor what we did to their strengths and weaknesses. But the biggest motivator was our religious beliefs.

I guess I asked myself if any of the private school options could do things better than I could. At that time we started homeschooling the answer was a resounding, "No."

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks Agla! I think we are leaning away from the charter for now. I think LOL when I go back to why I don't like standard education I have to ask myself why I would even consider it.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:24 AM   #4
newmamaonthefarm
Registered Users
seller

I'm not currently homeschooling since we're just pregnant with our first, but we plan to. I am a teacher in the WV public school system and I see firsthand what is being taught and the methods and I don't want either for my children. In mainstream education it seems as thigh there are three groups of kids - those who excel who get held back because of other students learning at a slower pace, those who are in the middle who are just shuffled through and never really given what they need, and those who are slower and get left behind because "the tests are coming and we have to get through the material." Regardless of where my children are in their abilities, I feel I can tailor my education for them to help them best succeed by homeschooling. I know there are also a few homeschool groups in my area that we plan to get involved with for the social development aspect that homeschooling could miss which made our decision to homeschool that much easier. So, there is my perspective as a future homeschooler.... Hope that helps at least a little!
newmamaonthefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I started with preschool because there simply were not suitable options anywhere in the KC area. Our DDs will start public K in the fall, but not attend the school in our district. If we would not have been accepted into a neighboring district's school system I would have continued homeschooling for a few more years, or until we relocate.

My girls are actually starting 1/2 day public kindergarten rather than full day and I plan to gauge how much homeschooling we can still do throughout the year. I plan to do geography, math, some science kits, some foreign language, and reading at home. I will drop our primary curriculum although it's currently our favorite class & very inspiring (cry). I don't mind if it takes 2-3 months for my girls to adjust to kindergarten & for me to introduce a good revolving schedule of what's important to us. We have a lot of activities to plan around and a new baby on the way. I plan to just remain relaxed & see where it goes.

First grade will be full day public school as long as our chosen district continues to accept us. We must reapply each year. Throughout 1st grade & the rest of elementary school we plan to substitute experiments & science kits for some family game nights, continue to read a lot, and do math or foreign language lessons on weekends, school breaks, and summer vacation. If for any reason we are not accepted into 1st grade & not ready to relocate I will go back to full time homeschooling.

There's no way I'd homeschool throughout middle school, but I do think it is a great preschool option & can be a great elementary option.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #6
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a former public school teacher and my DH is still a public school teacher so I in no way feel that public schools are evil. However, as my DS got closer to school age I just could not commit to sending him to school. I was actually having major anxiety about it so DH and I decided to homeschool. At the time I had a toddler and a very needy baby so we wavered in that decision and sent DS to a very small private church school at the last minute. It was fine and I had no real problems with the school, but I was still feeling the call to homeschool at the end of his kindergarten year. We decided to try it out this year and we all LOVE it! For us, the flexibility of our schedule and the ability to center education around our beliefs is worth the time and expense. It has been such a blessing!
Old 05-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you for all these stories. I still waver back and forth. It's driving me crazy! I think I'm afraid I'm paying up an opportunity with the state funded charter school since it's almost definite he'd get in this year and next year it would be completely lottery chance. But if he's "in school" I'd rather it be Montessori. But after this year it's unlikely we can afford it. And so I come back to homeschool LOL

Old 05-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have several reasons for wanting to do it, one of the main ones being that we know our children better than the school does and can focus on their interests instead of putting them in a more or less one size fits all program. They can learn from real life experience. They can learn at their own pace (within reason.) They can get a lot more valuable individual attention than they would in school and don't have to feel pressured to perform well on tests (I remember being in school and feeling so down on myself for failing...and yet I'm not convinced that standardized tests are an accurate portrayal of how smart children are in the first place. For instance, once I did poorly in one of my best subjects merely because my family was going through a rough time, not because I should have gotten such a poor grade.) Plus we only have so much time with our children. The five (almost six) years passed by so quickly! I LOVE being with them all day and they love being with me all day and I also just love teaching them! I'm not totally opposed to public school, though. Sometimes it can definitely be trying on my patience. But I'm not convinced that the same wouldn't be true if they went to public school. There would just be a whole different set of issues. However if it really was too much for me, I probably would put them in public school. It helps A LOT to have a very supportive husband and to ensure we get enough rest. Right now, we are doing okay with homeschool so we are keeping up with it. We do need to do better with the social aspect, but public school socialization isn't always such a good thing. I went to public school my whole life and was still painfully shy.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
bruenderbaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Have you looked at the research? It speaks for itself.

What I told my dh (he is 'warming up' to the idea) is that my first priority is that our children are successful in the afterlife (getting to Heaven) . . and public school won't do that. My second goal is that our children are successful in this life . . . and public school is not the best way to do that. My dh's argument is that public school is 'free' or we are already paying for it. My comeback is: we are forced to pay for a lot of things we don't use or want to use, because the government is one of the most ineffective institutions in the country. (Oh, and I taught in both public and private schools for eleven years before ds1 was born five years ago.)
Old 05-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #10
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My reasons came about after my first was in school for 2 years

1) My sweet kid turned into a bully at home, he also talked back and said things I never wanted him to say
2) My sweet kid was being bullied
3) The schedule was a nightmare
4) My kid's special diet was difficult to maintain at school
5) I didn't get much time with my kid
6) We spent much of our time that we did have fighting over homework

We stick with it because my kids can go at their own pace and because it works for our family.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote