Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #11
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mostly education, freedom and less influence of other children/families.

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #12
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Re: how did you decide to homeschool?

More freedom and flexibility as a family. Customizing the curriculum to child's needs. And I think certain subjects could be a lot of fun!
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

These replies really help. I actually do believe strongly in homeschooling. I recently tried very hard to get opinions from people about why standard education (public or private) was good. None of the responses could actually speak to that. They were all about how there are good & bad teachers, and you have to be an active, involved parent, and having a bias against homeschool. NO ONE actually answered the question. Which tells me a lot.

Also, DH is very on board with it, which is good since he'd be doing the majority of the schooling since I work in an office (and love my job)! He's also very intelligent and seems to have a gift for turning the everyday into a fun lesson (like mixing purple liquid soap & water into the dispenser & seeing soap is heavier). That said, he has ADHD LOL. I'm the researcher, planner. I think together we'll balance each other out.

Maybe at this point it's really a matter of letting go of my Montessori classroom education dreams (though I'm looking at resources for implementing it at home).

THanks again!
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #14
Cashmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am very pro-homeschool but loved my charter school, too. Just an aside, once you have a child enrolled in school, they are in that school and you won't have to do a lottery the next year.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #15
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Would you believe this came up again?!

Cashmama, I'd love to hear why you went with charter over homeschooling.

We are now due with our second child in January. I'm still the breadwinner, the insurance provider, & love my job. DH is working on a new business & his stress is becoming a problem. DS won't be eligible for daycare reimbursement after this year.

We thought we were going to homeschool, but if the business works out as expected, DH won't really have time. I think we are going to end up looking into the charter. But everytime I think about the restrictions of "school" & not homeschooling I feel so sad. I wish there were 2 of me!

Sent from my phone using DS Forum
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote