Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #11
MommaMarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Expecting and already dreading BFing

I really agree with finding a lactation consultant to help you this time. You should be able to find one free of charge in your area. Meet with them first and if tell her all of your worries. An expert is the best one to help you. Ask about resources for a breast pump. Look into your insurance, rental/loan programs that would let you use a good one, our WIC office offers it as well as a local midwife(don't know if that is just in my area). If you go into it this time with all the resources you need maybe it will be a different experience I only lasted till 5 months with my son(supply issue), this time i shooting for the 2 year mark! I am meeting with a lactation consultant and am getting i good pump. someone also suggested " Ina May's breast feeding companion book" to me..haven't read it yet but ill pass on that recommendation also

Advertisement

MommaMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
emceejee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
Do you have any idea what pump is best? All I have ever heard is Medela is best. But I don't know how old that info is.
My insurance only pays for a pump if you work which I don't. (Hubby is breadwinner here.)
Have you checked on that while pregnant this time or in the past? I was under the impression that insurance had to cover a pump now, no questions asked.
emceejee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
rochel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

HI! Just a few thoughts. First with the pump. Insurance does need to cover it now so it will be free for you. I had to call my insurance company after my LO was born and they gave me the numbers to several medical equipment suppliers and I ordered from there. It is usually a basic double electric pump with no frills (like a cute carrying bag) but several brands are good. I have had a Medela in the past but this time I got a Hygeia and I like it a lot. It is the only one that is completely closed system. Also Ameda is a good choice that is often covered under the insurance. A LC at the hospital should know how to best go about getting a pump with your insurance in your area.

It might be worth also having the hospital LC check to make sure that your baby doesn't have any tongue-tie issues. It is often a missed reason why nursing can hurt or why there is a poor latch. And not such a big deal to correct if caught early on. Nursing just should not hurt for so long and be so challenging. I'm sorry it has always been so challenging for you.

I think as others have said it is helpful to have support around you. A good LC is so helpful but I would also see if there is a La Leche League group around you. Having other mothers who have beenthere done that to talk with can be so helpful. I do admit I'm a little biased towards La Leche League because I'm a Leader. So feel free to send me a pm with questions or just wanting to vent.

Best of luck!
rochel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochel View Post
HI! Just a few thoughts. First with the pump. Insurance does need to cover it now so it will be free for you. I had to call my insurance company after my LO was born and they gave me the numbers to several medical equipment suppliers and I ordered from there. It is usually a basic double electric pump with no frills (like a cute carrying bag) but several brands are good. I have had a Medela in the past but this time I got a Hygeia and I like it a lot. It is the only one that is completely closed system. Also Ameda is a good choice that is often covered under the insurance. A LC at the hospital should know how to best go about getting a pump with your insurance in your area.

It might be worth also having the hospital LC check to make sure that your baby doesn't have any tongue-tie issues. It is often a missed reason why nursing can hurt or why there is a poor latch. And not such a big deal to correct if caught early on. Nursing just should not hurt for so long and be so challenging. I'm sorry it has always been so challenging for you.

I think as others have said it is helpful to have support around you. A good LC is so helpful but I would also see if there is a La Leche League group around you. Having other mothers who have beenthere done that to talk with can be so helpful. I do admit I'm a little biased towards La Leche League because I'm a Leader. So feel free to send me a pm with questions or just wanting to vent.

Best of luck!
Thank you so much for your reply! You summed up in one post lots if things I have been trying to get into my pregnancy addled brain.
I have since checked with my insurance and they do cover pumps now!!! Yay!!! So I'm excited to try that route if for some reason nursing hurts terribly again. I did have my DD checked for tongue ties last time and she didn't have any. I think the thrush being so bad is why it hurt for so long. Also, her mouth was really small. She was very petite. Although she technically was latching correctly , she still couldn't get positioned well enough. I also had a major vitamin D deficiency (which is why I couldn't heal from the thrush). Thankfully, we caught that and fixed it. About 6 months in my baby grew and everything got easier.... But still hurt just not as bad and not as often.

I have not connected with my local LLL group. I do get their emails and I know when their meetings are. I also know one of the leaders. So maybe this time around I will actually go.

Just having the option to pump if I need to resort to that for comfort sake has taken a great load off my mind about the whole thing. I also have just rearranged my kids rooms so that now my two youngest will be right across the hall from my room. So I will actually have a "nursery" with a dedicated nursing station instead of sprawling on the couch.
That will be so much better.

Thank you again and I will definitely PM you if I need to.

MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #15
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by emceejee View Post
Have you checked on that while pregnant this time or in the past? I was under the impression that insurance had to cover a pump now, no questions asked.
They do now! Yay!!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:32 AM   #16
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

my first was bad and last 2 are great bfing kids. try hand expression rather than pump some. try asking insurance if they cover pump and a good one will help vs a bad one.

My second was like I know what I am doing go way,and my third I needed help to start but because he was jaundice.

support system helped me when I got to things like blebs.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #17
rochel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

glad I could help.

All the best!
rochel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #18
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish you happy baby dust. I agree with do what is right for your family... a new baby shouldn't be dreaded. I would say try it... if can get a lactation consultant and a pump (I use the ameda purely yours and like it) and if it doesn't work out it doesn't. Clearly it's not the end of the world.

Also check ebay -- for instance there is an ameda on ebay never used about to go for less that $50 including shipping... if you wait for it and keep on ebay/craigslist you can find deals.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #19
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I wish you happy baby dust. I agree with do what is right for your family... a new baby shouldn't be dreaded. I would say try it... if can get a lactation consultant and a pump (I use the ameda purely yours and like it) and if it doesn't work out it doesn't. Clearly it's not the end of the world.

Also check ebay -- for instance there is an ameda on ebay never used about to go for less that $50 including shipping... if you wait for it and keep on ebay/craigslist you can find deals.
Hey! I just now saw your reply. I'm definitely NOT dreading my sweet little baby!!!!! I can't wait for him/her to get here!

I'm just dreading the pain/guilt/exhaustion of breastfeeding. Or I was. But now I have found out that my insurance does cover a pump and I'm optimistic that having a good one will make all the difference. And if not, like you said, "if it doesn't work out it doesn't."

Old 05-27-2014, 12:10 AM   #20
v1cky84
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry to hear you had a difficult time BFing with your first one. BFing is such a commitment and can be so exhausting. Glad to hear you found out that your insurance covers breast pump. I know it's easy to say but remember that BFing does get easier with time and it's best nutrition for your LO.
v1cky84 is offline   Reply With Quote