Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
dabblersupreme
Registered Users
seller

ugh - preschool teacher comments

Not sure how to react; my nearly 3yo told me recently that her preschool teacher was giving her a pep talk about how she's a big girl and doesn't need mommy-milk anymore. Of course the teacher has not consulted with me about my thoughts about weaning. It took me a while to remember why the teacher would even know my dd still nurses (she's very verbal - did she bring it up in conversation, i thought?) until i remembered open house night a few weeks ago when she asked to nurse and i didn't think much about nursing her right there in the parent group (even when i am uncomfortable in mixed company to nurse my toddler, i usually suck it up and figure i help normalize it by treating it as NORMAL).

Advertisement

dabblersupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: ugh - preschool teacher comments

She was out of line. If you had asked for help then that would be different.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
MommaMarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a preschool teacher and i would never say something like that. Despite her opinion she is not being professional at all by saying that to your child. If your child asked to nurse at rest time and you were not there, maybe she didn't know what to say. Even giving her the benefit of the doubt, talk to her supervisor, director/administrator. I do know all the kids who nurse in my class because they tell me. Not her place at all, make a complaint.
MommaMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
dabblersupreme
Registered Users
seller

let me just say that last year i had a separate incident that i had to speak to the director about and it turned into a huge red-tape nightmare (different teacher, my daughter was in a different room then).

while i do feel this was overstepping by this teacher, i'm trying to come up with a way to handle it in a way that doesn't make it a HUGE deal. i want to ask the teacher about it and see what she says happened, and then tell her in a confrontational way that weaning will be a decision between me and my daughter, thankyouverymuch :/

thanks for validating that i am not overreacting!

Last edited by dabblersupreme; 05-19-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
MommaMarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think that being confrontational with her will be very productive she will be defensive and so will you. You are not over-reacting, but you should be able to voice any concern with care and have it handled without lots of "red tape". If you are uncomfortable talking to a higher up...i would let it go. Just my opinion but speaking to the teacher directly( in the classroom in front of your child and other children) sounds like a bad idea to me.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
She was out of line. If you had asked for help then that would be different.

I agree! She was way out of line.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
dabblersupreme
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMarty View Post
I don't think that being confrontational with her will be very productive she will be defensive and so will you. You are not over-reacting, but you should be able to voice any concern with care and have it handled without lots of "red tape". If you are uncomfortable talking to a higher up...i would let it go. Just my opinion but speaking to the teacher directly( in the classroom in front of your child and other children) sounds like a bad idea to me.
oh, I want to pull the teacher aside in the morning casually and speak to her in the hallway, not in front of my daughter. the red tape incident from last yeAr was not reported to agencies by me but my concern ended up being a reportable incident.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would just say that the decision of when to stop breastfeeding is a family decision and that you would prefer she not discuss it with her again.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Definitely get the teacher's side of the conversation first.

I once had a child come to me talking about being afraid of being in their own bed (family bed transition). She had written a story during writer's workshop about it and we had a whole discussion that I thought went very well- how she was getting bigger, wanting to move to her own bedroom, still scared but feeling proud of herself, etc. On the bus, she mentioned it to her brother who angrily reported to her mom that I was bad mouthing the situation. Thank goodness mom came to me to ask first so I could share how the conversation actually went. It could be that she was encouraging your daughter about getting bigger. You won't really know until you ask.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #10
MommaMarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope the conversation went well. I hope she was apologetic and realized that she was out of line or at least understood that such comments would be reported to her boss. I read "confrontational" in your post...maybe you were trying to say "non-confrontational". I'm glad you understand the importance of not letting your daughter witness the conversation.