Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

When did you share the news?

With my first pregnancy we waited until we had the CVS results, then had a big party. This time I'm wanting to spread the news already - at approx 3 weeks! At the same time, being 41 I'm worried about chances of it sticking. Trying not to get too excited, but dying to start buying diapers again LOL

Advertisement

neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did you share the news?

I do IVF & get two early ultrasounds at 6 & 8 weeks that determine if proper growth is happening. They determine viability & if I should or should not be released to my OB. We did not tell people around us when one of our babies was measuring small with too slow of a HR at 6 & then again at 8 weeks. That pregnancy did end in a MC. When everything is measuring great at 8 weeks we start telling.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is there anything special about those ultrasounds at 6 & 8 weeks? Meaning, if I had one at that time would they tell me the same thing or do they have to look at it differently?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee
Is there anything special about those ultrasounds at 6 & 8 weeks? Meaning, if I had one at that time would they tell me the same thing or do they have to look at it differently?
My understanding is at 6 weeks you can't always see the heartbeat...by 8 weeks you should be able to see the heartbeat.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
With the first we shared as soon as the pee on the stick dried.

The others we waited. Or tried to
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
cello
Registered Users

I waited until I was about 20 weeks! I just wasn't feeling it before then, I guess. I liked having my "privacy" as long as I could but once I hit 20 weeks I started to really show and was like, "Well, this is it!"

I think that part of that was that I work a physical job in a male-dominated industry and felt like the longer I could go incognito, the longer I could have an easy/comfortable work environment.
cello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee View Post
They don't necessarily mean as much if you did not do IVF, but they're still meaningful.

IVFers are going to see a HB @ 6 weeks unless positioning is just really bad. Our dates down to the hour are known exactly. We know when conception occurred & have a smaller window for implantation. If someone else gets a 6 week transvaginal ultrasound it's considered a dating ultrasound & your provider will adjust your EDD based on the babies size. My EDD would not be changed, my RE would caution me that my baby is behind in growth, not claim my dates could be off by a few days.

If anyone does a 6 & then a 8 week transvaginal ultrasound your provider would expect to view two weeks of growth. A baby that has slowed down & is a MC risk could be identified. Most potential MCs can be identified at 8 weeks or earlier. Last year I had a MC at 10 weeks that was identified at 6 weeks (low HR & small for size) & confirmed at 8 weeks (two weeks of growth did not occur & HR was too low).

The risk of MC after an 8week us shows the appropriate growth and a strong HR is nearly as low as the risk after passing the 1st trimester mark. There is only a couple percentage difference.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #8
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you for that info! So far 3 people know. I have a feeling I'll start showing soonish...
Old 05-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #9
Vespertina
Registered Users

My Mood:

I told my mom the day I got my BFP with my first, which was around 10 dpo. I think I told my dad the following week. The rest of the family knew around 8 weeks.

Pretty much the same with my second, third and fourth. With all of them the various online communities and support forums knew the day I got my BFP. I told my mom, cousin, friends, and support groups the day I got my BFP, around 12 dpo. I told my dad at 6ish weeks, I think. And we went public with everyone else at 8 weeks.

Vespertina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
somebodysmama
Registered Users
seller

i waited until.. 11 weeks? I'm glad I did. we had a friend who shared the news the day she found out and ended up losing the baby. so sad.
somebodysmama is offline   Reply With Quote