Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

Time between nursing sessions?

My son was born premature, and we were able to transition him to breastfeeding 3 weeks ago (7 weeks/2 adjusted). Anyway, he's gaining weight like a champ, but he wants to breastfeed at least every 2 hours, often more like 1.5 with maybe one 3 hour stretch a day. I was wondering how long it takes for a newborn to be able to have more time in between feedings?

I'm really glad that he's breastfeeding, but I think I might go crazy from lack of sleep. I'm currently surviving by pumping once a day and my husband will give him a bottle in the middle of the night. I'm just not sure if I just have a generally fussy/high need baby or if I just don't know what I'm doing. Probably both.

Advertisement

apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Totally normal for them.

I don't do a schedule. I feed on demand.

Don't worry it starts to space out soon.

But at that age they do eat that often.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
MyNameIsMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Time between nursing sessions?

Yes totally normal for them to always be on the breast. My 2 month old is starting to space his feedings closer to 2.5-3 hours at night but again there are times when he is always on there. Sleep deprivation is tough and I am right there with you.
MyNameIsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Totally normal. At night baby hopefully will start going 3-4 hrs between but probably not for another week or 2 yet -- but it depends on the baby.

Good Luck and congrats!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the responses! That's good to hear. At his two month appointment earlier this week, the nurse acted like it was strange that I was still nursing him every two hours. I have to remember that it may take him a little longer than others since he was preterm.
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
bhunt479
Registered Users
seller

I'm a ftm too and my baby was born at 37.5 weeks. She started going longer at night around 7 weeks old, but during the day still 2-3 hours. I can deal with more often during the day if a stretch at night. I was feeding on demand, then tried a simple schedule recommended by Gina ford's book, contented little baby. Kind of works now at 9.5 weeks old and I'm flexible with her too.
bhunt479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
ElizasMommy606
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My almost 3 month old still nurses every 1-2 hours. He sleeps through the night pretty well though (only 2-3 feedings at night). I nurse on demand. My other children nursed a lot in the early months as well.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
JackieB
Registered Users
seller

Completely normal to nurse that often, especially for a preterm baby! My babies were full term (3, 6, and 14 days past their due dates, actually), and they always nursed that frequently. Their tummies are tiny and can only hold a few oz's at a time, plus breastmilk is digested easier and faster then formula, so they are hungry sooner than a formula fed baby. I never listened to the nurses and Dr's who said they only needed to eat every 3 hours....I was more concerned that I keep my supply up, and that my baby gained really well those first few months. ......

Hang in there, the night time feeding will space out as your baby grows. We used a side cosleeper the first few months, which really helped for night feedings. Some times babies just want to nurse for security, too....try to nap or rest during the day whenever you can. I promise it will get easier!!
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
mrshistory
Registered Users
seller

I feed on demand and at the beginning my guy was feeding every 1-1.5 hour. He is 7 months now and during the day still eats about every 2 hours. Every baby is different, but at the beginning they'll usually eat all the time.
mrshistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dd1 did every 1.5-2.5 hrs at that age (age 2 weeks which is your sons adjusted age). By the time she was 4-6 weeks old she would do a 4-6 hr stretch at night and that was heaven!!

Hang in there mama and way to go breast feeding you sweet son! Congratulations on your baby bundle!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote