Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #21
cdiluv
Registered Users

Re: Time between nursing sessions?

I also forgot to mention that I always feed on demand...

Advertisement

cdiluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #22
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Normal. My son is 9 months old and doesn't go longer than 1.5-2 hours between feedings usually. Sometimes he'll go longer if we're out and he's being entertained but not all of the time. I just feed him on demand, really.

He even eats every two hours at night.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #23
aml1676
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE View Post
Depends on how you do things All of mine were on 3 hour feedings at 8 weeks. All of my friends' were too, that's 39 babies in total, including my preemie. Most NICU babies are doing 3 hours also.
That sounds suspiciously like scheduling, rather than on demand feeding. Breast milk digests in about 90 minutes - without the developmental skills to be distracted from hunger, I don't see how going that long benefits baby, or a mom who's trying to build or maintain her supply. I agree with the poster who said 3 hours is not the norm... unless you're talking formula-ded babes.

We're averaging every 2 hours here at 12 weeks, though sometimes less. Never more, which is ok... at least I can plan around that 2 hour window pretty reliably!

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
aml1676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #24
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

My babies are EBF and nurse every 1.5-3 hours at 2 weeks old. I consider your baby to be 2 weeks old.

By 3 months, mine were nursing every 3-4 hours during the day and sleeping 9-10 hours solid at night without nursing at all. I do NOT schedule them, but there ARE many strategies for encouraging a baby to eat larger quantities less often, and there is nothing wrong with that. By 8-12 weeks of age, babies will take the same # of calories in a 24-hour period whether they eat 15 times a day or 5 times a day. The ony difference lies in how much they take in at each nursing session.

Last edited by Melinda29; 06-13-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote