Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
jessie_25
Registered Users

My Mood:
is there any way to actually make tofu taste good?

I have tried cooking tofu so many different ways but it always has that gross tofu taste......you know, kinda bitter ?
does anyone have any simple tofu recipes?

Advertisement

Expecting # 3 May 2012
jessie_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
anuhea4
Registered Users

Re: is there any way to actually make tofu taste good?

My dh is the cook of the family, but I can at least share one idea. Breaking firm tofu into pieces (kinda the size of whatever kind of meat you'd typically use) in spaghetti sauce (typical store bought jar kind is what we use) really hides the flavor and makes your spaghetti more healthy and filling. Squeeze as much of the water out of the tofu as possible before crumbling it into the sauce. If you add garlic and onions and other stuff I really don't think you can taste the tofu much. And if the texture bothers you (or your kids), after squeezing out the moisture, you could freeze the tofu. Then when you thaw it out, and break it up, it has a much more meat like texture. HTH!
anuhea4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

The secret to tofu:

Always buy extra-firm. Slice it into 1/4 inch slices and then into thirds. Lay out slices on paper towels and let sit for about 15 minutes to drain.
Spray a pan with cooking spray and sautee the slices until golden brown on each side. Then you can sub the tofu for chicken or other meat in any recipe.
yummmmmmmm

It makes it a little crispy and not so mushy.
I always put it in sauce-y recipes so it soaks up the flavor of the dish. That's the great thing about tofu- it can take on the flavor of whatever you're cooking it with. I've honestly never noticed it to be bitter. Sometimes it's mushy though. blech.

You can also get the silken/soft for inclusion in desserts an smoothies. It hides very well.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
mondoowolfe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not really any help here. . . I like it just plain and straight out of the container! (DH thinks it is 100% disgusting when I do that though)
mondoowolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoowolfe View Post
Not really any help here. . . I like it just plain and straight out of the container! (DH thinks it is 100% disgusting when I do that though)
ROFL!! and also. . . I gotta agree with your DH.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #6
wyldblueangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tofu takes on the taste of whateve you put on it! You could buy already seasoned tofu.

Check out my Ebay Feedback
wyldblueangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #7
gfarley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use to be the quality director of a tofu plant. What type of tofu do you buy? Depending on your taste Extrafirm can have a bitter note from the coagulant used. Try firm which can have different coagulants. Some people taste Magnesium Chloride (Nigari) as bitter look for tofu that uses Calcium sulfate as its coagulant less bitter.

Also as previous poster said its best if you drain and or press out some of the moisture. Then cube or slice and saute until golden brown on the outside. This will make it less mushy.

If you freeze it will get spongy and more ground beef like.

I saute it add salsa, black beans, corn, cilantro and simmer. Serve over corn bread pancakes with sour cream or plain lowfat yogurt.
gfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:15 AM   #8
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

We use Bragg's amino acids (you could sub soy sauce) and nutritional yeast.

Steam fry the extra-firm tofu with a generous amount of Bragg's (I like to add onions and garlic (or onion powder and garlic powder) but it not necessary. It's very important to cook it until it starts to brown and it looks dry. Sprinkle lots of nutritional yeast on the top while it's still in the pan and toss it (it gives a cheesy kind of taste). I craved this dish all the time when I was pregnant with my third baby. Yum!

I sometimes serve the above as a scramble type thing with vegan sausage in it, a little grated veganrella cheese, peppers/onions, and serve it over broiled hash browns and topped with gravy.

You could also make tofu nuggets. Cut it in nugget-y sizes, dip in Bragg's, then roll in nutritional yeast and broil it. The Bragg's and nut. yeast make a nice crust, you can dip it in bbq sauce (or ketchup like my boys). Sometimes I make english muffins and serve these nuggets on them with vegan cheese and vegan sausage or canadian bacon for "tofu mcmuffins".

2 easy sandwich recipes:

Dice, pour bbq sauce over it, and bake it until the tofu is kind of chewy...it's my dh's favorite for vegan bbq sandwiches.

Tofu salad, basically add every thing to it that goes in egg salad.

Okay, all this tofu talk has made me hungry...

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #9
Mamalicious
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoowolfe View Post
I love fresh silken tofu with soy sauce, minced ginger and soy sauce. Really good in the summer when it's hot.

We use tofu in hot pots, miso soup, stir fries, lasagna and pad thai. I guess it's different if you grew up eating it.
Mamalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
momof4in2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it makes really good shakes add some fruit and its yumm-o