Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
EBF 6m old - tips on starting occasional formula bottle?

DD is 6.5m right now and goes to daycare 3 days a week. I have been relying heavily on the freezer stash for several months (daycare only - period came back month 3 and it's caused issues). For the last few months I have been trying all the tricks but I still don't bring home enough milk to feed my LO at daycare and it was causing stress and "i quit" feelings.

So I have come to terms that my 2nd LO will have some formula. Please do not give me lectures about how I should try hard to make more milk - I have and I have to move on to still enjoy my LO first year of life.

But this is all new to me. I have enough freezer milk to put it off 4-6 weeks but I think I will start in 2-3 weeks because I don't want to be stressed out if she doesn't take to the formula well or if we have to try a few brands because of intolerance. I also am short about 1 feeding and a half with what I pump so I want to have enough freezer stash to try and limit to 1 formula feeding a daycare day for as long as possible. if I wait until the stash is gone she would have 2 some days.

Anyone have any experience introducing formula? Should I mix it with breastmilk to start?

Also her BM bottles are 3.5oz. Would a formula bottle likely be the same size (once she is comfortable with it) or will it be heavier so she will want less?

Lastly I was thinking having them feed the formula bottle early or mid day so that she is more likely to want to nurse when I pick her up, any thoughts on timing...

Anyway if you have any experience in this area I would be appreciative.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
LaurenLee
Registered Users
seller

I had to start supplementing formula with my 8 month old because I am pregnant and couldn't keep up. I started with one bottle a day of half formula and half breastmilk. I put the same amount as I would in a normal bm bottle. He didn't even seem to notice. I did that a few days and then went straight formula for one feeding a day. He was hesitant at first but didn't have a problem with taking the whole bottle. That was about a month ago, and I have gradually dropped one breastfeeding session per week, so now we are down to one time nursing per day.

I don't think your baby will have any problems nursing since she was already taking bottles anyway. My son gets impatient with the nursing, but it's because he only nurses once a day.

One more thing that I had trouble with was constipation. My son quickly became constipated (common when switching from bm to formula), so I fed prunes for a few days and switched to Emfamil Reguline, and that combo did the trick.
LaurenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: EBF 6m old - tips on starting occasional formula bottle?

My dd already has bowel trouble so that should be interesting

thanks!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote