Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2014, 06:34 AM   #1
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Help 2 day old clamps down

I dd2 is 2dsys old and she barely opens mouth to nurse. So as we speak it pinches with each suck how can I get her to open wider?

Advertisement

Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Please help it is hurting so bad
Old 06-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

Try tickling her lips and chin right before latching so she opens wide then sort of pinch your areole and shove it in her mouth. If she's got more of you in her mouth she won't clamp down.
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help 2 day old clamps down

I agree about a deeper latch. And don't let baby win, it'll make your nursing relationship misery, as you're already finding. But if baby is screaming in frustration, guess what, that's a wide open mouth for you to shove a full mouthful of breast into, success!

If your little one is only 2 days old, are you still at the hospital, can you get help from the nurses or a lactation consultant (unfortunately even if they have one, she may not work weekends...)? If there is a lactation consultant but only after you're dismissed, get an appointment set up, even if the advise here solves your immediate problem.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikhlas
Try tickling her lips and chin right before latching so she opens wide then sort of pinch your areole and shove it in her mouth. If she's got more of you in her mouth she won't clamp down.
Cool I will try this thx
Old 06-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80
I agree about a deeper latch. And don't let baby win, it'll make your nursing relationship misery, as you're already finding. But if baby is screaming in frustration, guess what, that's a wide open mouth for you to shove a full mouthful of breast into, success! If your little one is only 2 days old, are you still at the hospital, can you get help from the nurses or a lactation consultant (unfortunately even if they have one, she may not work weekends...)? If there is a lactation consultant but only after you're dismissed, get an appointment set up, even if the advise here solves your immediate problem.
I went home after 1 day because my 23 month old was having a hard time at home w/o mommy
I asked for an LC and but they said oh the nurses can help but the nurses weren't that helpful. Last time I got to see the LC 4 times in 2 days. This time I got screwed. I will make an appt for Monday. Thanks
Old 06-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
JackieB
Registered Users
seller

Google the "flipple" for help with a deeper latch....it helped us when tickling/ touching the nose/ chin didn't. And yes, don't let her win...bad habits take longer fix and you will be in pain! Keep breaking the latch with your finger and re-latching until she gets it right. Make sure you are holding her close enough, too.
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
LaurenLee
Registered Users
seller

Try holding his head/neck with one hand and pulling (gently) his head back at an angle. This is really hard to put into worlds! And with the other hand from a "C" around your nipple. As soon as the baby opens wide shove your nipple in the mouth, aiming for the roof of the mouth. If he doesn't open wide, unlatch and keep trying. My son was a tiny thing, with a tiny mouth, so I did a lot of googling "deep latch" and watched you tuoe videos.
LaurenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
MommaMarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on the new LO!!I don't have any real advise, just wanted to say congrats I agree that you need to get some help from a lactation consultant. Good luck
MommaMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Congratulations. Try the above or try a different position