Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
maxnmoll
Registered Users

My Mood:
Teas for helping milk come in sooner?

I'm about 6 weeks away from a scheduled C-section with our 3rd baby, and I'm concerned about my milk taking too long to come in. My first child I labored for about 10 hours before needing an emergency C-section. My milk came in soon after the surgery, and we never had supply issues. My second child was a scheduled C-section, and it took almost 4 days for my milk to come in - which was VERY distressing for me, and for baby. This time I'd like to see if there's anything I can do to help my milk come in sooner - any ideas? TIA!

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Teas for helping milk come in sooner?

Nurse alot and pump. My milk took 5 days to come in after a 14 hour labor, failed forceps/vacuum/episiotomy and finally a c-section, but there was alot of other things going on too (Hurricane Rita evacuation, Dd was transfered to SA, I was released early) So I was really stressed. But on the 4th day after she was born I got a pump and pumped when I wasn't with her in the NICU. Finally milk came in the night we got back to our home.
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
Doodlebug
Registered Users

From what I understand, the average day for milk to come in is on day 4. Which is okay... baby doesn't need any before then. Keep nursing him whenever he roots, he's getting what he needs in the colostrum.

If human beings were actually mis-designed to starve their infants for the first four days, our species wouldn't have survived as long as we have.

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=13927.0
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
Mommy2Nick&Luke
Registered Users

My Mood:

mothers milk tea
Old 06-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
VanIslander
Registered Users

My Mood:

My step mom lent me this book "Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year" by Susan S. Weed (this is a great book). It says Red Raspberry Leaf, Nettle, Comfrey, Alfalfa, Red Clover, Blessed Thistle, Borage, and Hops Flowers all can made into tea to increase milk flow. Also eating Apricots, asparagus, green beans, carrots, sweet potatoes, peas, pecans and all leafy greens is supposed to help. Here are a couple of recipes recommended to increase lactation:

Fennel/Barley Water

Soak 1/2 cup pearl barley in 3 cups cold water overnight, or by boiling 25 min. Strain barley then steep 1 tsp. Fennel seeds per 1 cup boiling barley water for 30 min.

This is also supposed to settle digestion.

Nursing Formula

1 oz dried Blessed Thistle or Borage leaves
1 oz dried Raspberry or Nettle leaves
1 tsp. of any one of these seeds: Anise, Cumin, Fennel, Caraway, Coriander, Dill

Place leaves in a half-gallon jar and fill to top with boiling water. Cap tightly and let steep over night. Strain and refrigerate. When you're ready to drink it, heat 1 cup to almost boiling and steep 1 tsp. of any of the listed seeds for 10 minutes before drinking. You can drink up to 2 quarts of this a day.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
From what I understand, the average day for milk to come in is on day 4. Which is okay... baby doesn't need any before then. Keep nursing him whenever he roots, he's getting what he needs in the colostrum.

If human beings were actually mis-designed to starve their infants for the first four days, our species wouldn't have survived as long as we have.