Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
MommaMarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Group Strep B worry.

I'm asking you wonderful mamas to help me with my situation...

6 years ago i had group strep b with my first pregnancy. I was told go to the hospital as soon as water breaks. Water broke spontaneously with no contractions. I went right into the hospital and had a horrible time. IV, antibiotics, no eating, i refused pitocin for 10 hours, finally gave in.. ended up with a vacuum extraction birth 7 hours later (i held out and did not get an epidural) but i had oxygen mask and continuous monitoring and third degree vaginal lacerations and a million stitches..My beautiful boy was born 9lbs 14oz, huge for a first child, so i understand why it was hard, but it is not my idea of what birth should be...I am thankful we came out of it ok.

Today in my doctor's appointment (not the same doc who delivered my son, his partner was on call for 1st birth) i brought up my wishes for a different kind of birth this time. I did not feel very supported. I know that one intervention led to the next and the next and the next. I know he was trying to justify why the doc did those things. I would really like to avoid just about every intervention. I will flat out refuse pitocin. If i have group strep b again i feel like it will all be the same.. In my ideal world i would stay home as long as possible, but if i have GSB they will want me in the hospital as soon as water breaks.

I think if he had been reassuring that i can be as natural as i want in the hospital then i would feel better. I'm in a small town..he is the only doc who delivers in our hospital. We have no option for a birth center. I don't have insurance that will cover a midwife at a home birth, nor do i have the cash to pay for that. We are stuck in this crazy place..

So... I am planning to just stay home as long as possible, even if i have group strep b and my water breaks before labor starts. I guess some would say that is dangerous but i believe that you have a 4 hour window to start antibiotics. does anyone know?? I feel like the risk factors are low but i know that GSB is a dangerous one..I plan to get to the hospital before he is born, I just can't do another birth like that. I don't plan that this baby will be as large (different father).. and i know that i can handle the pain. What are your thoughts?? Am i crazy?? should i try to get my hands on antibiotics to take while im at home??

Advertisement

MommaMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Group Strep B worry.

HUGS I did the same thing with my first water broke and no labor then pit. Second was completely different water never broke and I was only in labor or 4 hours with no intervention at all. Don't stress about it too much every birth is different.
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

For the antibiotics they have to be in your system for at least four hours in order for the first to be effective. My water broke with my second and I had no contractions for 18hours! I was also gbs positive so I sat in l&d on iv antibiotics, it sucks but it's safest for baby. Gbs won't harm you but it could cause death for the baby so I wouldn't mess around with that. They pressured me into pitocin as well claiming baby was going to catch an infection from not having my water intact but it wouldn't set it for 24-48 hours so I resisted. Other than the antibiotics I don't think any other Meds are necessary for a full term birth if you want to go as natural as possible! Sorry for the rough birth :-( I hope this one is much more positive!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
MommaMarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you both! I know that every labor and birth is different. I don't want to put my baby as risk of course.. I guess i could be strong enough to refuse pitocen for 18 hours..but last time it was only 10 hours and they pushed me into it. I was younger then..now i can stand my ground. I still just really want labor to start before my water breaks and then i can be at home for at least the beginning.. I guess i just have to wait and see.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:27 PM   #5
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

I had a non-pitocin vbac in the hospital. After a couple days in labor at home, I finally went in. I had antibiotic shots, and they broke my water. 18-hrs after I was admitted, I had my DD.

Had my water broke first, I would have gone in straight away. GBS is nothing to play with just to stay out of the hospital. Even if you test negative this time, it doesn't mean it won't be present when you go in to labor. It's transient and comes and goes. My OB says that if you have a history of testing positive for it, you should definitely get antibiotics during labor, even if the test is negative, because you never know you're negative right at the time you're in labor.

Hugs. My first birth ended in Caesarian after 24-hrs of interventions bc they *thought* there was dangerously low fluid...which gushed everywhere when they broke my water. . But she's here and healthy!

Anyway, as long as you have abx, no reason to rush you at the hospital if you're being monitored.
mommypockets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
MommaMarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the ideas and reasurance...I know that it is a comes and goes sort of thing..i don't know if they will give me the antibiotics is im negative..and i KNOW he will not give them to me to take at home. I know that there is no reason to rush at the hospital but Unfortunately they put you on a "time schedule" I believe he said 1cm per hour and if you don't make the progress they want then they start to push the idea of pitocin. We are talking small town hospital here.

I am lucky that they didn't give me a c-section last time. If they were smart enough to know how big he was..they would have. I did hours of research and found ways to help reduce the risk of GBS..probiotics..garlic supplements..and so on... I am going to start all that soon and hope it stays away. I will probably have them test twice. and if both are clear i'm not going to the hospital right away. i think that their interventions are more dangerous to both of us.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
MamaMuffin
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry that your health care providers aren't more supportive of your desire to birth naturally, but *please* don't delay going to the hospital if your water breaks. They recommend getting to the hospital ASAP for a reason. I understand not wanting the interventions and you have every right to refuse them, but antibiotics aren't one that you want to refuse. There's a mom in another forum who recently lost a baby to GBS... It was a home birth and she refused antibiotics. I know that's not quite the same thing since you're willing to get them *at all*, but I don't think that waiting is worth the risk. Would you rather risk having more interventions than you'd like... or risk losing your precious baby to something entirely preventable? I'd get a doula who will help you advocate for a low-intervention labor so you can feel more confident, but I would still follow their advice to go to the hospital ASAP.

The good news is that you have a less than 1 in 10 chance of your water breaking before labor, so it's likely not even something you'll need to worry about.
MamaMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMuffin
I'm sorry that your health care providers aren't more supportive of your desire to birth naturally, but *please* don't delay going to the hospital if your water breaks. They recommend getting to the hospital ASAP for a reason. I understand not wanting the interventions and you have every right to refuse them, but antibiotics aren't one that you want to refuse. There's a mom in another forum who recently lost a baby to GBS... It was a home birth and she refused antibiotics. I know that's not quite the same thing since you're willing to get them *at all*, but I don't think that waiting is worth the risk. Would you rather risk having more interventions than you'd like... or risk losing your precious baby to something entirely preventable? I'd get a doula who will help you advocate for a low-intervention labor so you can feel more confident, but I would still follow their advice to go to the hospital ASAP.

The good news is that you have a less than 1 in 10 chance of your water breaking before labor, so it's likely not even something you'll need to worry about.
Agree with all of this! Interventions suck, but no, the interventions aren't worse than risking a dead baby. The "dead baby card" is very much real, as my friend found out a little over a year ago.

My hospital's policy is that if you are on antibiotics, as long as there is progress, the 24-hr rule doesn't apply, if everything looks good and is progressing.

The goal isn't to test negative. It's to BE negative, which once you're +, you won't know what you are in labor. If you're tested at 36-weeks and go to 42-weeks, that's a whole month, and they aren't going to test you while you're in labor.

I do hope that someday, they'll come up with a rapid screen they can do upon admittance!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Another reason why small hospitals may have such policies is that they're not equipped to let you nearly risk-out a vaginal birth. There is likely no nicu in a small hospital. There may not be multiple OBs present at all times to assist in a crash section. I switched hospitals at 41.5 weeks after my OB told me in the case of a crash section or a rupture at a night delivery, he would have to "wing it" alone. And there wasn't even an anesthesiologist present 24/7. So, I left for a bigger, more equipped/prepared hospital. I showed up in labor with 0 history or paperwork. Not ideal, but safer.

If you want to tempt fire, drive to a much larger hospital.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
MommaMarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My heart goes out to anyone who has lost a child

My dear partner reassured me a lot. He said that the doctor wasn't as bad and i thought ..he was with me at the doc. I think that i'm very fear full of birth in a hospital and i just have to "suck it up" and deal..

I read so much about it today.. apparently it is something like 16% of women who test negative at 36 weeks but then have it at the time of delivery. Those numbers are crazy to me. obviously a better/faster test is needed.

I plan to do probiotics and garlic throughout the end of this pregnancy (i will let the doc know not being sneaky) and that will keep it away hopefully. If i test positive then we just have to deal with being at the hospital earlier than we want to be.

I just have to add that one of the ways to keep it away that i found today was putting garlic in your vagina. My dear partner was horrified.. LOL!!!!

(This of course is not a laughing matter but i just wanted to share some comic relief )