Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
MommaMarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Group Strep B worry.

Bigger hospital is not really an option. The next closest is 1.5 hours away, they don't even have a NICU and they have a reputation of being more anti-natural. Here the policy is that babies with issues they can't handle are flown out. (we even buy memberships to helicopter services in case anyone in our ever needs to be flown out.) I do trust them to do that. I do trust my doctor, but he is a doctor and i have to know what i want and don't want and the risks that go with that.

Advertisement

MommaMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #12
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

They've had homebirth babies die from GBS after the garlic remedy, so just make sure you are aware that home remedies don't always work.

I'm hopeful your water won't break early, and you'll have a great birth. I was so scared, too, but everything turned out great. I hope that will be the case with you, too!

Hugs!
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:29 AM   #13
Npreyer
Registered Users

My Mood:

My midwife recommended a yogurt soaked tampon (only plain yogurt, 100% natural, live cultures, etc) in the vagina to help keep group B at bay. Of course, this is only in the weeks BEFORE you go into labor, don't leave it in for hours at a time, etc. She said that if I tested positive they would still have me on antibiotics--the midwives/birth center I used are not hippie midwives. In fact, they have admittance privileges at one of the best hospitals in the country (UNC). I say this so you know that this is not remedy to be used in place of antibiotics, only as a preventative measure, BUT that it is recommended by top-quality midwives who aren't relying solely on alternative medicine, so it is a legit method. She also said to eat as much all natural live yogurt as I could stomach. (Antibiotics wreck my system so I wanted to do everything possible to avoid them).

Good luck mama! You'll handle it like the pro you are, I'm sure!
Npreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:40 AM   #14
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I don't know about the gsb part but I know that each delivery is different and with each separate ob, midwife, or like even that you have are different. just having my own ob was more helpful than anything, and he was there for 2 births out of my 3 kid so far.

with my oldest I wasn't comfortable at all with when delivering as my ob wasn't there. His colleagues from his place were i think trying to make up for that in post delivery. Now that I know more with each birth i know a little more and feel like I can request things better and know who and what I want done If I have anymore later.

I guess just from talking about gsb with a friend i wouldn't mess around with it. I also wouldn't worry until you come back with a positive gsb test.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
MommaMarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npreyer View Post
My midwife recommended a yogurt soaked tampon (only plain yogurt, 100% natural, live cultures, etc) in the vagina to help keep group B at bay. Of course, this is only in the weeks BEFORE you go into labor, don't leave it in for hours at a time, etc. She said that if I tested positive they would still have me on antibiotics--the midwives/birth center I used are not hippie midwives. In fact, they have admittance privileges at one of the best hospitals in the country (UNC). I say this so you know that this is not remedy to be used in place of antibiotics, only as a preventative measure, BUT that it is recommended by top-quality midwives who aren't relying solely on alternative medicine, so it is a legit method. She also said to eat as much all natural live yogurt as I could stomach. (Antibiotics wreck my system so I wanted to do everything possible to avoid them).

Good luck mama! You'll handle it like the pro you are, I'm sure!
Thanks for that suggestion. I would love to prevent having it, and i'm ok with taking the antibiotics if i have it. I just really want to avoid the hours at the hospital with nothing happening and the interventions like the last situation i had. I believe in alternative treatments if they work, but i will do the standard stuff too. I don't want to be foolish. I'm hopeful that i will not have it, so i guess i will try not to worry about it until i have the test. Easier said than done when you are a self admitted worrier.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #16
Type1Mama
Registered Users
seller

I am so sorry that you experienced such a difficult birth previously. I hope that you are able to have the birth experience that you desire this time around. I wanted to mention one thing that hasn't been brought up, which is that the baby is only in danger of bacterial exposure once your water has broken. Even if you do test GBS positive, keep in mind that you very well way have your waters intact throughout most of labor, which means you may not have to go to the hospital early. I was GBS positive, labored almost entirely at home, arrived at the hospital at 8 cm, had antibiotics administered immediately, then an hour and a half later, my son was born. My water broke during pushing. If you can, try to eat as much protein as you can (ideally 100g per day or more) to maintain a strong amniotic sac that will not rupture early, before your body is ready to labor. Good luck to you!
Old 06-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #17
MommaMarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type1Mama View Post
I am so sorry that you experienced such a difficult birth previously. I hope that you are able to have the birth experience that you desire this time around. I wanted to mention one thing that hasn't been brought up, which is that the baby is only in danger of bacterial exposure once your water has broken. Even if you do test GBS positive, keep in mind that you very well way have your waters intact throughout most of labor, which means you may not have to go to the hospital early. I was GBS positive, labored almost entirely at home, arrived at the hospital at 8 cm, had antibiotics administered immediately, then an hour and a half later, my son was born. My water broke during pushing. If you can, try to eat as much protein as you can (ideally 100g per day or more) to maintain a strong amniotic sac that will not rupture early, before your body is ready to labor. Good luck to you!
Thank you, i have never heard the thing about protein! thanks for that suggestion! I hope that water does not break right off.. I actually think that my first baby was SO Big that my water broke before labor, 9lbs 14 oz..huge for a first child. And i was giant..
I'm feeling more hopeful for a positive experience this time.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #18
Npreyer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMarty View Post
Thanks for that suggestion. I would love to prevent having it, and i'm ok with taking the antibiotics if i have it. I just really want to avoid the hours at the hospital with nothing happening and the interventions like the last situation i had. I believe in alternative treatments if they work, but i will do the standard stuff too. I don't want to be foolish. I'm hopeful that i will not have it, so i guess i will try not to worry about it until i have the test. Easier said than done when you are a self admitted worrier.

Oh I wasn't trying to imply that you'd avoid antibiotics at all! I too was worried about strep and laboring in the hospital vs at home and just found it incredibly comforting to know there were things I could do throughout pregnancy to help prevent strep. I emphasized that my midwives were "not crunchy" just to let you know that the yogurt thing is a well-recognized treatment not some, er, "crunchier" alternative medicine, so it has a pretty good shot of stopping strep! Something about the good bacteria of yogurt outnumbering the bad bacteria of strep. Hope you have the delivery you want!
Npreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
Hopefulily
Registered Users

My Mood:
I was gbs positive with my first born but negative with my second! Hopefully you don't even have to deal with it!
Old 06-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #20
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

Not sure if this is an option but you could ask if your water breaks and you go in for the antibiotics and you are not in active labor could you leave after the abx and come back when you are in active labor or after a certain amount of time?
Katie180 is offline   Reply With Quote